Is Subaru's AWD the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My AWD auto history: 1996 Mitsubishi Eclipse with a 'cold air intake', giant side-mount intercooler, a 2.5" turbo-back Buschur exhaust, and running 16.5 PSI of boost. It had an LSD rear diff. I don't know what the center diff was.

2000 Subaru Outback with 5-speed, and an LSD rear diff. It had a 'silly putty' center diff. When new, the rear LSD was so tight that the front wheels would slide across the center line at slow speeds on 90 degree turns with snow on the ground. I got good at power-oversteering that winter.

2006 audi a4 AWD Turbo with a Torsen diff.

2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited and Outback Premium.

2016.5 Mazda CX-5.

In the early years, I ran Bridgestone Blizzaks. The Eclipse ran Pirelli somethings, and the CX-5 has Michelin X-ice 2's.

I've driven all but the audi on black ice, pebbly ice, dry snow (shallow and deep) snowball-packing shallow and deep snow, and soaking-wet shallow and middling snow. With the only exception being the a4, which was awful in slippery conditions, plowing horribly in slow-speed 90 degree turns, all the cars and tires ran as expected. The Eclipse would spin, spin, spin when the turbo spooled up. The 2000 Outback was a monster in all types of snow, even pulling a two-place snowmobile trailer over packed snow with slush underneat, on lake ice. It didn't have enough power to power slide, and was so light that it could be moved off line with other tire tracks.

The 2012 Outback is too slow and heavy to do much, and with a dreadfully soft suspension, dead steering, and non-performing sway bars it's unremarkable, but NOT confidence inspiring.

The 2012 Impreza was astounding in its ability to flash through any type of snow, at extreme speeds, and never left the line it was on, no matter the depth of other tire tracks. But the dayum thing could NOT be made to powerslide. The electronics prevented it. The high overall gearing of the CVT made starting out in deep snow somewhat difficult.

The 2016 CX-5 has a very low 1st gear, and a very rear-biased AWD, making this car my favorite for actually driving in slippery stuff. Power slides are easy to start and modulate. In deep sticky snow, it starts off with confidence. It yanks my boat up slippery weed-cluttered boat ramps with no drama.

Great AWD would have LSD diffs front and rear. Most current street-oriented cars have open diffs front and rear, which makes their AWD capabilities reliant on programming. Most are front-wheel biased, which give the most dynamic safety, but with less than ideal ultimate traction. Spinning tires are slowed down with brakes, which quickly overheat, triggering the computers to let them run wild.

All of us have been brainwashed to believe that Subaru's 'symetric AWD' is superior, but in my experience it's no better than competitors. There's a ton of videos showing Subarus climbing ramps better than others, but if you really watch what's happening, there's much trickery going on. There shouldn't need to be for a superior product.

I'm a driver, not a passenger. I want to control a car, not just suggest where it goes. I believe Subaru's choices save many poor drivers from themselves. I believe there are much better choices for those who know what under and oversteer are.

And as a final word, there's no more important knowledge than that snow/ice tires save lives, under braking or avoidance maneuvers, and that AWD allows the unwary to get stuck deeper, quicker, having no other safety advantage. Front-wheel drive teachs fools when the road is dangerous.

My 2013 rav 4 with push button 4wd lockup was a monster outperformed my 2010 imprezza 10x over.

The best AWD systems are the ones that operate in 2WD most of the time, and send power to the other wheels only when needed.

I can tell you this. Several winters ago I found myself going up a moderate hill in town right after a snow storm. The road was still covered with about 6" of snow. Three other SUVs were immediately around me, either in front, behind, or alongside, and other cars in front and behind. My '13 Outback pulled right up the hill without any slipping or sliding at all. However, every one of the other cars were slipping all over the place.

I was in fear, not that I was going to slide, because it had quickly become clear that my Outback was going to keep traction all the way up. But instead, my wife and I were worried that one of the other SUVs was going to slide into us since they were so out of control. We all made it to the top without incident, but all the others with much more drama.

Have many of you watched Consumer Report's evaluation of AWD systems? They have a short video where they make it very clear that not all AWD systems are created equal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo

Reading the comments of the Youtube video, it seems that the tests were done on OEM all season tires, which throws some huge variables into the results. They should have done the comparison using identical tires on each vehicle since tire quality is a HUGE factor in this.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Reading the comments of the Youtube video, it seems that the tests were done on OEM all season tires, which throws some huge variables into the results. They should have done the comparison using identical tires on each vehicle since tire quality is a HUGE factor in this.

It has always been a question of mine what the results of car tests would be if all cars were shod with the same tire. However, it seems totally fair to test and rate a car's performance with the OEM tires mounted. After all, the OEM tires are what each manufacturer selected to put on their car. We would all hope that they selected a tire that will make their car shine. Not always true, but hey, If Toyota and Honda selected inferior tires, then they deserve to have been rated worse.

Depends for what...
nothing can touch a late model EVO system for racing applications on tarmac or gravel.

Rear biased S4 and RS4 quattro systems are a delight if you know what you're doing...

If you're doing serious off-roading, I wouldn't bring a crossover Mazda with a haldex system.

In my opinion and experience the answer is a resounding YES. I've owned about every awd manufacturer with one exception (Audi/VW) The two worst performers for me were Honda and Toyota. Literally the Toyota was a NO GO in many situations; the most frustrating vehicle I have ever owned.

If you are driving another brand and are happy more power to you. I've had way too many "I can't believe what that car just did," moments driving a Subaru in winter conditions.
I'd gladly acknowledge Quattro if they are as good as they appear to be, but my budget will probably never allow that.

As for the tricks and mirrors, rollers and tests..........not sure what tricks may or may not have been used. All I know is their "magic" works for me in the real world.

Subaru is superior AWD compared to its price point competition. The consumer reports video shows my gut driving the CRV and RAV4 in snowy conditions.

Subaru designs every vehicle with AWD as core design attribute and goal from the start. Every other car maker(save Audi) jury rigs AWD on top of an existing platform and it shows although there are excellent systems out there still.

I know from our ski home the Subaru's make it up and Toyota and Honda systems are variable. Subaru's generally have decent all-seasons not snows. The worst AWD I have seen is Toyota Sienna AWD with snow tires could not make it up steep driveway hill where Subaru with all-seasons could.

My wife has a VW Tiguan now so no idea how the haldex system works or goes.

ONE issue with Subaru AWD is the tires must have very similar tread depth. So if a tire gets damaged beyond repair and all the tires have 30K miles on them then you need to replace them all or buy a used tire with similar tread depth or buy a new tire and have it cut down to the needed tread depth. This has not driven me away from Subaru AWD, but its something one needs to understand.

However, the Crosstrek did much better on Gold Mine Hill than the CX-5. These tests are very subjective.

I only have two Subarus ('96 Outback and '14 Forester XT) to compare to an '06 RAV6.

The Toyota system was pretty lame, sent power to the rears after it detected the front slipping and the power transfer was too abrupt...that V6 would want to bring the rear end of the SUV around with some authority if I was trying to make a turn in very slippery conditions, not want I really wanted out of AWD.
The pushbutton "4WD" would prevent that problem, but it would turn itself off above 25mph. So I'd have to remember to pop the button just before getting ready to turn up the big hill to my neighborhood, which might be at the back of my mind if my daughter was in the back seat crying because she was scared about getting home in freezing rain and I had to comfort her, then the car would suddenly change the way it acted partway up the hill. It would get me home, but the whole thing just seemed clunky and stupid.

Both of the Subies work/worked very well in all conditions...probably the best was when I tried to be a good Samaritan and help somebody who had spun way off a back road near my house. I pulled over onto the "shoulder", if you could really call it that, then felt the Outback suddenly shift down into the giant snowbank I had unwittingly parked on. The driver of the other car was fine and already had a towtruck on the way, and I asked if they could plan to pull two cars out as I was pretty sure I was stuck. I decided to try to get out while I was waiting and tried to rock it back and forth over and over...I could feel the AWD system shuttling power around the corners as it tried to figure the situation out. After about 10-15 minutes, I finally got the point where the car could pull itself out...the towtruck had arrived and I hollered out to the driver that I was all set, and he called back that he was surprised I wouldn't need him!

It seems the AWD systems are becoming better with time. It's hard to say which is the best, but I believe Subaru is still on top.

The new 2019 Rav 4 will have a very good system. Torque vectoring and different modes for snow, mud etc.

mazda always was known to give you the best bang for your buck. also mazda always put out great vehicles.

I'm not saying it is the best of the bunch, but I would love to see how the AWD system on the Jeep Renegade stacks up against these other guys. Played around in some mud at the Farm Progress Show yesterday that would have been tough in my 4wd truck with rear locker. Was pretty impressed.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I'm not saying it is the best of the bunch, but I would love to see how the AWD system on the Jeep Renegade stacks up against these other guys. Played around in some mud at the Farm Progress Show yesterday that would have been tough in my 4wd truck with rear locker. Was pretty impressed.

The Jeep Renegades are nice. Although I'm confused which one has which AWD/4WD system. LOL

Comparing 4WD to awd is a bit of apples and oranges. The awd systems on many vehicles have improved over the years and caught up to Subaru.

The predictive systems are the better ones in my opinion. Audi, Mazda, Kia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back