Wide snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I never really understood why wide tires are bad in the snow........

The key to understabnding this is that the coeffient of friction for the road surface is many times more than for snow. Even a tiny bit of contact between the tire and the road pays off in more traction.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For what you probably spent on those winter tires, you could have just bought a $500 car to drive in the winter.. I probably would have.

No, because adding another car to the policy is several thousand dollars (because my wife has to be covered on it). Remember, I paid $500.00 for the Focus. I seriously regret getting rid of that car, it was reliable and good on fuel. It also had four snow tires and was very capable. I don't regret getting the 328, but I do regret not getting it sorted out during the summer, whereas now, that option doesn't really exist.

What does the policy say about penalties? The literal policy document? While I've seen insurance companies claim you have to list all licensed drivers in your household, they can only deny payment on an accident if said licensed driver was driving the insured car, and said driver would have caused higher rates. Per a policy of mine I read a couple years ago-- they can all be different and even develop subtle changes upon renewal.

Just throwing that out there-- paw through your policy or ask your agent.

The saving grace is the DSC. However, it actually has MORE ground clearance than the 328i. My sister has no problem with her 330i in the snow, she's riding on some Xice2's. But she doesn't have 400HP either.........

Don't you Ontarians get all your snow in one fell swoop in a freak storm and then have it disappear a few days later, keeping you dry for the rest of the year?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
The saving grace is the DSC. However, it actually has MORE ground clearance than the 328i. My sister has no problem with her 330i in the snow, she's riding on some Xice2's. But she doesn't have 400HP either.........

Don't you Ontarians get all your snow in one fell swoop in a freak storm and then have it disappear a few days later, keeping you dry for the rest of the year?
wink.gif

Usually, yeah, LOL!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
For what you probably spent on those winter tires, you could have just bought a $500 car to drive in the winter.. I probably would have.

No, because adding another car to the policy is several thousand dollars (because my wife has to be covered on it). Remember, I paid $500.00 for the Focus. I seriously regret getting rid of that car, it was reliable and good on fuel. It also had four snow tires and was very capable. I don't regret getting the 328, but I do regret not getting it sorted out during the summer, whereas now, that option doesn't really exist.

What does the policy say about penalties? The literal policy document? While I've seen insurance companies claim you have to list all licensed drivers in your household, they can only deny payment on an accident if said licensed driver was driving the insured car, and said driver would have caused higher rates. Per a policy of mine I read a couple years ago-- they can all be different and even develop subtle changes upon renewal.

Just throwing that out there-- paw through your policy or ask your agent.

Since we have more than one vehicle, my wife has to be the primary on one of them. It was the 328i. Now she is going to be the primary on the truck.

She's only had her license for two years and already had an "at fault" accident. This makes her somewhat high risk I guess and so her coverage is 4K a year on top of what I would normally pay to insure 3x vehicles with full coverage.

It sucks
frown.gif

I never really understood why wide tires are bad in the snow.

I know it is a widely excepted concept. One that I am in no way questioning. I trust the good people up north who deal with major snow know what they are talking about.

It's just, coming from the JEEP/Offroad way of looking, I would buy the biggest/widest tires that would fit on my rig.

The general thinking was the more surface area you have the more "bite/grip" you will have.

One would think that wider snow tires would provide more "bite".

What's the technical reason for wanting a thinner footprint?

My Jetta has a normal small sedan tire, so it's not to thick.

FWD/ELD/ESP/ABS/Manual Tranny/Like New "thin footed" All-Seasons:

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!!!!

Skinny tires will dig down to the hard stuff - in both mud and snow.

I run skinny tires on my Jeep for going off road. It's great. I've been through things where jeeps with balloon tires with lockers couldn't get! Of course, the first time we come to a bottomles mud pit ... I'm done.

Skinny and wide have their respective pros and cons off road. Wide only has cons in the snow.

I never really understood why wide tires are bad in the snow.

Think of the difference between an ice skate and a ski. Get out on fresh snow in both. With skis you'll stay on top of the snow. With ice skates you'll sink in. Same thing with tires. You don't want to be on top of the snow because snow gives you very little or no grip. The grip comes from the tires touching the pavement underneath the snow. So that's why you want narrower tires so that they can more easily slice through the snow and reach hard pavement underneath.

Usually, yeah, LOL!

Here's something for you and the rest of our Ontarians and your snow tires:

I needed an excuse to try out embedding videos.
wink.gif

Wide tires are good for floatation on snow when the snow depth is more than 110% of the vehicle's clearance.

Say a vehicle has 500 pounds of weight on each tire, and that tire's contact patch is, say, 10 square inches. You have a pressure of 50 pounds per square inch pressing the tread into the surface. Switch to wide tires with a 20 square inch contact patch. You now have 25 psi of force trying to get traction.

When narrow-sizing winter tires (I just made up that term) look at the load index smallest standard equipment tire for that vehicle--91 or whatever. Buy the skinniest tire with that load index, and that fits the rim, comes very close to the original O.D., reasonable speed rating, etc.

Usually, yeah, LOL!

Here's something for you and the rest of our Ontarians and your snow tires:

I needed an excuse to try out embedding videos.
wink.gif

LOL!! SO TRUE!!

LOL!! SO TRUE!!

I guess the storm gods are going to punish me for teasing you; we're likely to get up to a foot of snow in the next twenty-four hours.

LOL!! SO TRUE!!

I guess the storm gods are going to punish me for teasing you; we're likely to get up to a foot of snow in the next twenty-four hours.

Wow!!
crazy2.gif

If you did already realize the smallest winter tires/rims is typically far cheaper than buying the size winter tires that are on in the summer.

My friend with a similar year M5 runs smaller rims (not sure) with Blizzacks and is fine in the snow except deep stuff. He is far more in control than folks on all-seasons.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
If you did already realize the smallest winter tires/rims is typically far cheaper than buying the size winter tires that are on in the summer.

My friend with a similar year M5 runs smaller rims (not sure) with Blizzacks and is fine in the snow except deep stuff. He is far more in control than folks on all-seasons.

He probably runs 17's, as those are I think the smallest that will clear the brakes.

My buddy Andrew just has two sets of stock rims that he swaps between when going from the summers to the snows.

I wonder just how much snow/ice/slush traction and control is given up by stretching narrow(er) winter tires over wide OEM size wheels (due to sidewall stiffening) like I do when I use winter tires?? (225/55-16 on a 16x8 wheel)

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks like front and rear are different tire, not the same brand/model.

Same brand, and same family (Blizzak) but different model. The fronts were a lightly used set that they had in stock, the rears are quite obviously brand new.

Originally Posted By: Shark
Is your paint protected? You should put a good sealant on it before you get onto the salty roads. This stuff makes a barrier that lasts 4 months easily in bad winter weather. http://www.autogeek.net/wg5500.html

It has a combo of mothers and nufinish on it right now, but you are right, I should put another coat on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back