Your thoughts on new Tacoma Crew Cabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryan, if I do get a Toyo, I'll get one in either Lewisville (dallas), SA, or Houston. Far better competition than here. I drove a friend's 2004 4Runner, and the rearview mirror was in my view of the road. Ive never driven a vehicle where the rearviw mirror seemed to block the view out the window.

Smoke, I'm no economist either, but I did earn a BBA and MBA. Foreign and Domestic firms are global now. The question about the impact on the domestic GDP in the past 20 years you asked is statistically biased. The japanese and europeans didnt start building plants here until about 10 years ago.

Toyota's home office may be in Asia, but Toyo has a huge positive impact on our economy. American dock workers unload their vehicles and parts, Americans assemble them, Americans transport them by rail and truck, and Americans sell, service and repair them by American owned dealerships.

Cletus, my '95 K1500 was assembled in Canada.

Ford now ownes Volvo, Range Rover and Jag. So is a Jag built and sold in England American if the profits go back to America? GM owns Saab. Is it European?

The link about levelfieldinstitute.com sounded very biased when I looked at the site, then I found who runs it, which makes it very clear the information provided is geared to prove a certain poitn and not paint the whole picture. From their site ......
"We are a grassroots organization founded by retirees of Ford, GM, Chrysler and the companies that supply them". Very bias to me.

My point is that buying American is not as simple as it was in the 70's and 80's. Buying a Toyoya doesnt put Americans out of work. It puts them to work.

deadhorse.gif

Just recently bought ourselves our 2nd Toyota p/up, an '04 Tacoma double cab TRD off-road 3.4L - loving it all the way.

Can't say too much about it's reliability so far, only had it 2 months, but the thing runs great, gets far better gas mileage then we thought it would and has plenty of room for an above average height person in the back seat.

Our 1st Toy p/up was an '85 that we had for 20yrs - I think the length of ownership speaks for how good of a truck it was.

We've also had our share of good full-size Chevy trucks of the 70-80's vintage, but only the 350 V8; couldn't give me the 305 or the 4.3L again.

And I love our '01 Dodge cummins diesel - but that's a whole different subject.

I personally think any V6 engine in a *full-size* truck is one that gets overworked - irregardless make or model, the weight alone of the vehicle taxes the power and any added weight, other then passangers, just adds to the loss. Just my personal opinion of what I've experienced.

Quote:

Bryan, if I do get a Toyo, I'll get one in either Lewisville (dallas), SA, or Houston. Far better competition than here. I drove a friend's 2004 4Runner, and the rearview mirror was in my view of the road. Ive never driven a vehicle where the rearviw mirror seemed to block the view out the window.

Smoke, I'm no economist either, but I did earn a BBA and MBA. Foreign and Domestic firms are global now. The question about the impact on the domestic GDP in the past 20 years you asked is statistically biased. The japanese and europeans didnt start building plants here until about 10 years ago.

Toyota's home office may be in Asia, but Toyo has a huge positive impact on our economy. American dock workers unload their vehicles and parts, Americans assemble them, Americans transport them by rail and truck, and Americans sell, service and repair them by American owned dealerships.

Cletus, my '95 K1500 was assembled in Canada.

Ford now ownes Volvo, Range Rover and Jag. So is a Jag built and sold in England American if the profits go back to America? GM owns Saab. Is it European?

The link about levelfieldinstitute.com sounded very biased when I looked at the site, then I found who runs it, which makes it very clear the information provided is geared to prove a certain poitn and not paint the whole picture. From their site ......
"We are a grassroots organization founded by retirees of Ford, GM, Chrysler and the companies that supply them". Very bias to me.

My point is that buying American is not as simple as it was in the 70's and 80's. Buying a Toyoya doesnt put Americans out of work. It puts them to work.

deadhorse.gif

ok, 10 years ago

i'm just curious about the numbers, i don't doubt toyota creates jobs, nor do i dispute that it's a more complex issue than in years past--i just wonder how $$ of those jobs compare to the overall profits by the asian corp.

not trying to grill you, just thought someone reading might have a handle on some hard numbers
smile.gif
--until then, that horse is still kicking

oh, and i forgot to mention--tacoma is a cool little pickup! seems like it would make a great 'mountain' rig...if were going to get a midsize, that is what i'd be looking at as well

>>> i just wonder how $$ of those jobs compare to the overall profits by the asian corp

The profits, indirectly, go to the shareholders. Which you or I can become if we so choose.

crw beat me to it.

whenever somebody says "all the profits go to some asian/foreign/european company," that is just not how a corporation works. profits go to the owners of the company in the forms of dividends, share buybacks, or are reinvested in the business. gm, ford, daimler chrysler, toyota, honda, the volkswagen group, etc. are all publicly traded companies on stock exchanges.

want to become a partial owners and get your share of these profits? then buy shares like mutual funds, banks, insurance companies, investment trusts, pension funds, private investors, etc. do every day. these are the people who actually receive these often resented toyota profits.

signed,
jett rink in bristol
b.s. and m.s. in economics

Quote:

crw beat me to it.

whenever somebody says "all the profits go to some asian/foreign/european company," that is just not how a corporation works. profits go to the owners of the company in the forms of dividends, share buybacks, or are reinvested in the business. gm, ford, daimler chrysler, toyota, honda, the volkswagen group, etc. are all publicly traded companies on stock exchanges.

want to become a partial owners and get your share of these profits? then buy shares like mutual funds, banks, insurance companies, investment trusts, pension funds, private investors, etc. do every day. these are the people who actually receive these often resented toyota profits.

signed,
jett rink in bristol
b.s. and m.s. in economics

thanks for the explanation

so, are the dividends considered part of the domestic product of the shareholder's nation of residence?

Just ignore cletus. Obviously he's just jumping up and down for attention. Toyota makes fine trucks. The interior is at least 100% better than what you will find in a colorado.

Quote:

A fullsize Chevy 4.3 gets low 20s for fuel mileage. My opinion is there is no reason to get a compact truck if you're going to pay just as much and get the same fuel mileage as a fullsize. You can get a Chevy W/T, 5 speed, A/C for around 14k. FWIW the boss got the brilliant idea to buy 3 Tundras instead of sticking with Chevy and Ford and they are bitchin about them already. They get worse gas mileage and don't hold up to heavy industrial use like the old Fords and Chevys. The tailgate is buckled on one already and the seat is sagging with under 15K miles. Not as much interior room either, bed isn't as wide, bedsides aren't as tall. If you're going to use a truck as a truck, buy Ford or Chevy. You'll get a bigger pickup that holds up better and better fuel mileage to boot. Parts are more available and cheaper, as well as buying from a US company.
patriot.gif
cheers.gif

my fiancee's father found this out hauling oil drums and whatnot in the VI. Was a strong supporter of all things toyota, and drove only toyota pickups... until he got a ford. MUCH tougher (that is real severe service), and longer lasting, with more capability and a MUCH better price.

JMH

Quote:

Consumeraffairs is a horrable place to research anything! I gurantee you can look up any truck by any manufacture and all you find at consumeraffairs is problems!Every company makes some lemons that is just a fact but some companies make more then others. Even if the rate of lemons was only 1% that isstill a lot of unhappy customers!!! My mother has a 4X4 Tundra Extra Cab TRD etc........ It is a 2002 I belive and it has been problem free other then the front axle acuator going out and one 02 sensor. Toyota covered all the repairs under warranty. She has not had the brake issue,transmission issues that many on consumeraffairs claim to have.

I agree, the Consumer Affiars site is a very unreliable source. You see a lot of people on there complaining about things that are not even problems. ABS is really baffling to a lot of people with "lemons" there.

Quote:

Just ignore cletus. Obviously he's just jumping up and down for attention. Toyota makes fine trucks. The interior is at least 100% better than what you will find in a colorado.

Why ingore the truth? Or is it that you just can't handle or want to hear the truth? I'm speaking from personal experience on how these trucks hold up. Toyota doesn't hold up as well if you're actually using it as a truck. Actual gas mileage on their V-6 is about the same if not worse as a Chevy fullsize with the V-6. Expect to pay at least double for Toyota parts too when compared to GM parts.

A friend of mine has an '05 SR5 Crew Cab Tacoma 4X4, and I have spent a fair bit of time behind the wheel. It's not a bad truck, and although he has had minor issues with the vehicle. Some of the cab mounts had to be replaced, as per a bulletin item, and there is a minor rattle in the front end that the dealership hasn't figured out. Gas mileage was significantly lower than the estimates, and he drives very conservatively.

I don't know how they can call these "compact" or even midsized trucks anymore. This truck is actually longer than my Suburban, but has less cargo capacity and less interior space. Speaking of interior space, I found that the leg room was inadequate. After a three hour drive, my legs were cramping up, but I am fairly tall. I couldn't drive this truck all day though. Rear seat is cramped for anyone of above average height.

Definitely light duty compared to North American trucks though. It can't take much of a load in the bed before the springs are almost bottomed out, and the tailgate is very light duty. The bed is also of questionable durabilty, being made of plastic, but I am sure it will be fine under light use.

The engine has good power, and the transmission is very smooth. Although I do find that it doesn't take much of a hill on the highway to downshift out of 5th, which is a minor annoyance. The ride is very smooth and refined, and the interior noise is very low. It has excellent steering response and road holding.

In my opinion, it's a great light duty truck, but not something that can be used for regular heavy use. People who prefer "car like" ride and handling will like this truck.

My brother-in-law had a 2003 Taco Double Cab 2wd,with the V6 engine (3.4?). For a small truck it got pretty lousy MPG. He kept track of every tank and in the 30K miles he had it it only averaged about 16-17MPG.

He sold it and bought a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 with the 5.3 and 4.10 rear end. With a full sized truck and V8 hes averaging 18 with the same commute.

If you ever watch the news from Afganistan, you'll note the warlords all drive Toyota trucks - typically loaded with about 15-20 guys w/ AK-47's. If you ever see video from Africa, you'll note they all drive Toyota Landcruisers in the bush.

I can't imagine worse conditions for vehicle maintenance than those...

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little gas mileage for something that has more quality, better interior design, resale value, reliability, and exterior looks. The colorado looks like as if a 4 year old with down syndrome designed it. My friend has the 2005 inline 5 colorado and it's having plenty of reliability problems already. The interior is made up of more cheap plastic than my little nieces action figure collection which makes a loud ruckus when traveling on the highway. It's been going back and fourth to the dealership countless of times. The A/C is garbage. It also rides like #@$%!. I feel like throwing up after riding in his truck for 15 minutes. Overall this truck is very poorly designed.

Quote:

If you ever watch the news from Afganistan, you'll note the warlords all drive Toyota trucks - typically loaded with about 15-20 guys w/ AK-47's. If you ever see video from Africa, you'll note they all drive Toyota Landcruisers in the bush.

I can't imagine worse conditions for vehicle maintenance than those...

Not only do the locals drive them, our Special Forces shipped over American-made Tacomas to Afghanistan and use them as technicals. This in a country with a system of roads that more closely resemble "Jeep trails". That's a pretty good endorsement towards the durability, offroad ability, and reliability of these trucks, I think. It's not often that you'll see a vehicle you can buy at your local dealership being used in combat operations.
I can't speak for the +05 Tacomas, but the 95.5-04 Tacomas were basically the same truck as the Hi-lux Toyotas sold by Toyota (minus the option for the diesel engines). They are stout little trucks.

Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
20020315_00111_sm_jpg.jpg

20020315_00120_sm_jpg.jpg

BFA_afghanistan_sm_jpg.jpg

MilTacoma7.jpg

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a little gas mileage for something that has more quality, better interior design, resale value, reliability, and exterior looks. The colorado looks like as if a 4 year old with down syndrome designed it. My friend has the 2005 inline 5 colorado and it's having plenty of reliability problems already. The interior is made up of more cheap plastic than my little nieces action figure collection which makes a loud ruckus when traveling on the highway. It's been going back and fourth to the dealership countless of times. The A/C is garbage. It also rides like #@$%!. I feel like throwing up after riding in his truck for 15 minutes. Overall this truck is very poorly designed.

Initially the Colorado and Canyon did have build quality problems, but they seem to have improved for 2006. When I first checked them out in 2004, I noticed lots of rattles and overall poor assembly. I recently drove a 2006 model though and did not notice any of the same problems. It was very quiet on the highway and I did not notice any build quality problems.

When the current Tacoma first came out it had problems too. Nothing is perfect, especially when you are talking about an entirely new design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back