Your smoothest oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR5

I know it’s subjective, but what is the smoothest oil you have ever used ?

For me it was semi-synthetic Castrol Magnatec 10W30, we get the Euro rated one here, so it was SN & A3/B4. When I ran it in my GM (Opel) Astra, it was so smooth that when I was stoped at a red light I caught myself glancing at the instrument cluster to make sure the engine was still going.

In the same car, I‘m running the full synthetic version right now, Magnatec 5W30 (SN & A3/B4), it’s fine, but not as smooth.

I've tried lots of oils and additives in lots of cars - I feel zero difference between any while idling/driving if I'm being honest. This is 100% placebo unless there is something egregious going on.

QSUD 5W30 SN+ (in my stash) ... I'm sure the new QS Synthetic 5W30 SP that replaced QSUD 5W30 SN+ is just as good .

My brother and I had both Civic Si circa 2008. Mine may have been an earlier build but same model year. I ran M1 and he ran Kendall. My valvetrain noise was noticably higher than his, even from inside the car. I think his Kendall was a semi but I know it was Kendall. To this day, i always wonder if GrpIII and/or add pack will create this "quiet" effect.

My OCI were always sooner with more stop and go, less highway. So under 5k OCI interval.

Last edited:
My truck runs its smoothest on Magnatec. I can't tell a difference with my other vehicles as long as it meets the right specs. I know Magnatec doesn't have intelligent molecules.

Redline has made noticeable difference across a few engine platforms for me, but these were not engines going into daily street driven vehicles though. I've used it in a Ram Rebel as its daily fill, a Hellcat for its daily fill, and a Subaru XT as break in oil as far as daily drivers are concerned though, didn't see or feel a huge or noticeable difference vs factory fill.

Used this since I was a kid;

1627045932368.jpg

I've tried lots of oils and additives in lots of cars - I feel zero difference between any while idling/driving if I'm being honest. This is 100% placebo unless there is something egregious going on.
You may lack the sensitivity of others.
Like many here can't hear a thing and they tell a 19 year old there isn't a noise
when they themselves don't hear the freight train 50 feet away- lol
but true!

Quaker State 5W30 FS. Changed the oil in my friends Durango with the 4.7 with a blown head gasket. It definitely felt smoother to me, but probably just imagination. We tried a lot of different head gasket sealers, until he decided to let it go. It was his dad’s vehicle before he passed, so he didn’t want to let it go understandably. He Always blames that the oil I used caused the head gasket to fail quicker, I think it was just a matter of time really. It’s what I use currently in my Tacoma.

I currently have 5w-30 GTX in my 2GR-FE for the first time. It significantly reduced the common clack, but it might have more to do with going up a grade from 5w-20 (NAPA FS).

Last edited:
Redline has made noticeable difference across a few engine platforms for me, but these were not engines going into daily street driven vehicles though. I've used it in a Ram Rebel as its daily fill, a Hellcat for its daily fill, and a Subaru XT as break in oil as far as daily drivers are concerned though, didn't see or feel a huge or noticeable difference vs factory fill.
For me it has been
Red Line
High Performance
0W20.

HTHS 2.9

The initial release semi-syn magnatec was a better oil in situ than others I ran in my 2014 Rogue with the rackety QR25DE long stroke 4 banger- I know as I ran the FS version right after the SS, The SS was so good I didnt want to change it out, but it was at 7K and under warranty and it had to go - not that Dealers fix anything under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back