Your smoothest oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOFT always wins.
Yes and I think this is mostly what is going on when people report more quiet with fresh oil.

I freely admit both my 2.5T in my old 2014 WRX and 3.5 in current 2019 Tacoma are bucket o' bolts at idle. Off idle, quite smooth and not at all comparatively loud.

Loud at idle like left the rod cap fasteners off. :ROFLMAO:

You may lack the sensitivity of others.
Like many here can't hear a thing and they tell a 19 year old there isn't a noise
when they themselves don't hear the freight train 50 feet away- lol
but true!
I have an amazing sensitivity to vehicles w/r to how they run, power, etc. Blind test will most likely show that folks can't tell most of what they think on this subject. Put whatever oil they think makes noise etc. in and tell them it's the one they think is quiet...

I have never noticed any difference in smoothness regardless of oil brand. Judging strictly by the lack of cold start noise (3.5l RAV4) Chevron Supreme Blend 5W30 takes the prize.

M1 5w-30 EP was always buttery smooth in my 2.7 and no complaints in the PowerBoost.

I need to pay attention more! I've never noticed any difference, other than lifter clatter, in any oil I have used.

For me, it was the original syn-blend Magnatec. I wonder if one quart of GTX with the current Magnatec would reproduce it.

01BE701B-1C04-4BD8-819C-31E3A4437F02.jpeg

So then, I guess we can shut down this thread since your opinion is the final word on the subject.

Oil is Oil, and all the major and premium brands (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Amsoil, Redline, Motorcraft, Kendall, and so on...) make great oil. That being said... it's absolutely hilarious to the point of stupidity what can happen if you criticize, or even throw some shade, at someone's favorite brand of motor oil. :ROFLMAO:

Some take it so personally that they decide to put your opinion down or ruin a friendship because you disagree with their choice. Or some judge motor oil quality by some MSDS they can find online, and more ridiculously, by the approximative amount of PAO written on that MSDS. It's ridiculous, as most of us are not chemists, formulators, or tribologists.

The only valid information is what's printed on that oil jug (approvals, certifications, licenses, etc.), and the only safety information that a manufacturer has to really give out is that the contents might be bad for your health and "if ingested, do not induce vomiting..." Don't go down the rabbit hole of trying to interpret motor oil by MSDS or hearsay because it's a never-ending road to nowhere. More importantly, it's not an indication of how good that oil will perform or how "smooth" it will be for your application.

Just buy quality motor oil, and change it on time. If you're going to track a car or abuse it in any other manner, then make sure you are up to your oil game and use the appropriate brand, blend, and grade for your particular application.

And no, there is nothing wrong in thinking that one oil is smoother than another when running it in your engine. Because if that bit of placebo gives you peace of mind, then it's worth it, and you can focus on other, more important things in life. ;)
Well in that case f it, I'm going all in on Liquimoly Molygen. There, I said it. Also, in before lock.

I got to honestly say I never noticed any difference in smoothness or how my engines ran with any specific oil I used. I am not loyal to a specific brand and use many different brands which I can get the best deal on.

Well in that case f it, I'm going all in on Liquimoly Molygen. There, I said it. Also, in before lock.
If it meets and exceeds your subjective and objective expectations, performs well, and is attainable to you, then why not?

By the way, I am grateful for the UOAs and data you post. It is very insightful. Thank you!

I got to honestly say I never noticed any difference in smoothness or how my engines ran with any specific oil I used. I am not loyal to a specific brand and use many different brands which I can get the best deal on.
I'm there with you. Brand loyalty, and worse, corporate brand loyalty to any brand is not a good thing. This goes for any product, not just motor oil. Unless you use Soviet or Eastern European motor oil from the 80s (or earlier) or early 90s, you won't really see or feel a difference. That stuff was bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back