Your new car is watching you and collecting data

Yea no it can't, it holds no such data.

On top of that crash data has nothing to do with location, name, address, phone numbers, email, license numbers, facial recognition, etc, are you going try and tell my my 2002 and 2003 Toyota and Chevy store that data? lol.

If you rear end a bus of nuns and the airbag deploys, that data is retrievable. and GM started putting it on their vehicles in 1994.

Yea no it can't, it holds no such data.

On top of that crash data has nothing to do with location, name, address, phone numbers, email, license numbers, facial recognition, etc, are you going try and tell my my 2002 and 2003 Toyota and Chevy store that data? lol.
Actually yes. Toyota started implementing Event Data Recorder’s in 2001. By 2003 the Camry, Camry Solara, Echo, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, RAV4, Sienna, Prius, and Highlander all had EDR’s.

Now, those particular EDR’s can not remotely rattle on you, you have to plug into them. But they’ll tell whoever whether or not you were wearing a seat belt, where your seat was, how fast you were going, how hard you were on the brakes/accelerator, and whether the airbags fired or not.

Last edited:

New models from Toyota, Chevrolet and Ford are collecting driver data and sharing it with carmakers.

Your new car doesn’t exactly know where you’re going, but it certainly knows where you’ve been. And it’s sharing all your sensitive data with carmakers like Ford, Toyota, and Chevrolet — as well as shady third parties in certain cases, according to Wired. Modern cars have come to rival smartphones in terms of data collection, reportedly producing up to 25 gigabytes of data per hour.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE
that is one reason I just sold my 2020 chevy hd

I used to have the "Snapshot" from Progressive Ins. plugged into the car's OBD to lower car insurance. It gathers data of how you drive
Why am I reminded of this meme?

1687739925700.jpg

Not sure I'm ready to sign up for my insurance company to watch how I drive... I think my maturity level needs to age a couple decades more.

Why am I reminded of this meme?

View attachment 163343

Not sure I'm ready to sign up for my insurance company to watch how I drive... I think my maturity level needs to age a couple decades more.
That lasted about a month for me. Gotta love night shift, permanently driving in the “highest risk” time zones and their arbitrarily low threshold for “hard braking” drove me nuts behind the the whole spying thing. 8mph/second is hardly “hard” braking 🙄

That and you probably got close to what you paid or even made money on it. Do tell the "other reasons"......
Not really, paid 51K in 2019, sold for 45K......got my moneys worth to your point.

Bad build quality overall, body panels are flimsy, paint is thin..........

Truck always had this weird studder when accelerating hard......not sure if it was the tranny or what, but they did replace the VALVE BODY UNDER WARRANTY, which did nothing....

every so often there would be a loud driveline surge while braking which would make it hard to stop....I think it was the torque convertor but they did not what to pull the tranny to replace.........to tell the truth neither did I.

Rear springs made a bunch of popping noise

Steering had some hard spots.......

the factory gas pedal had a bunch of lag, so I got a Banks product to change the lag of the pedal........it worked great........but then I got a notification via email that the vehicle monitoring system could not be "read" becasue I had something plugged into the obd2.

I have significant experience driving GM 2500 and 3500 trucks. Not just personal use, but commercial aswell, and have never been so dissatisfied with a truck.

21 y/o car and 19 y/o (year old) car club for the win here.

Don't even have backup cameras.

It's better with the old school... 90s and 2000s. Some platforms that are still around today.. Dodge and Nissan, I'm looking at you and there are others..

I also don't think the Charger and Challenger is going away. It will reboot full ICE in 2 years............

21 y/o car and 19 y/o (year old) car club for the win here.

Don't even have backup cameras.

It's better with the old school... 90s and 2000s. Some platforms that are still around today.. Dodge and Nissan, I'm looking at you and there are others..

I also don't think the Charger and Challenger is going away. It will reboot full ICE in 2 years............
Pretty hard to argue that somewhere in the 2000-2010 timeframe, closer maybe to the middle, cars were made using hardware and not software, and here in 2023, they seem to be lasting. The countless YouTubes with x00,000 miles…5,6, etc.

It’s like that SSA actuarial table that was recently posted.

If you are: 17 yo, your life expectancy is 10 more years.

If you are: 3 yo, your life expectancy is 10 more years.

Not really, paid 51K in 2019, sold for 45K......got my moneys worth to your point.

Bad build quality overall, body panels are flimsy, paint is thin..........

Truck always had this weird studder when accelerating hard......not sure if it was the tranny or what, but they did replace the VALVE BODY UNDER WARRANTY, which did nothing....

every so often there would be a loud driveline surge while braking which would make it hard to stop....I think it was the torque convertor but they did not what to pull the tranny to replace.........to tell the truth neither did I.

Rear springs made a bunch of popping noise

Steering had some hard spots.......

the factory gas pedal had a bunch of lag, so I got a Banks product to change the lag of the pedal........it worked great........but then I got a notification via email that the vehicle monitoring system could not be "read" becasue I had something plugged into the obd2.

I have significant experience driving GM 2500 and 3500 trucks. Not just personal use, but commercial aswell, and have never been so dissatisfied with a truck.
I had a 2018 Silverado and the paint was beyond terrible. I understand GM has a new paint facility that came online. Maybe that will help. Yes-you did well on resale. That's a good thing about trucks.

Actually yes. Toyota started implementing Event Data Recorder’s in 2001. By 2003 the Camry, Camry Solara, Echo, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, RAV4, Sienna, Prius, and Highlander all had EDR’s.

Now, those particular EDR’s can not remotely rattle on you, you have to plug into them. But they’ll tell whoever whether or not you were wearing a seat belt, where your seat was, how fast you were going, how hard you were on the brakes/accelerator, and whether the airbags fired or not.
Funny in the old days the cops would look at your broken head light, if the filament as intact they would notate " headlight not on at time of collision, 47 mins past sunset. No skid marks brakes never applied.

Back