Your car is a spy

Interesting. Are you a super cautious driver? I understand hard stops and fast acceleration would be detrimental to rates.
No, I'm not a super cautious driver. the occasional hard stop is fine, as you're trying to avoid the idiots doing something like slamming on their brakes for no reason

Your voice activated NAV/infotainment system is ALWAYS listening for you to give it a command...therefore it is always listening to everything.

If nissan is recording my audio in my rogue, they will be hearing a lot of flatulent activity. Let them spy on that. 💨

We already know that all new cars collect a ton of data on your driving behavior, but some of these additional items mentioned in the below article, if true, are a bit surprising.

Sexual activity, genetic data... what?

That is why I got rid of my 2020 silverado 2500 with 22k on it

We already know that all new cars collect a ton of data on your driving behavior, but some of these additional items mentioned in the below article, if true, are a bit surprising.

Sexual activity, genetic data... what?

I just bought a 2023 Nissan Armada.
Had my telematics antenna (which sends out the data) disconnected within days of taking delivery.
And it works. my online Nissan account that updates my odometer every time i shut the car off, now is frozen at the number of miles it had when it was disconnected.
Took the shop foreman, to figure it out how to do it.

I also turn off data transmission via the settings menu, though unsure if that cna be trusted. Anyway,thats likely no longer neccessary with no telematics antenna and every other day I also use the nissanconnect settings "clear all data" tab ( if it really clears all data, I dont know, but this is the next best thing, a thorough study of the manual is a lot of help here.)
That plus disconnecting the data transmission.
The nice Nissan Nav system still works, as does the XM radio, (They are receive only)
When my Nav needs updating in a couple of years, we can reconnect for an hour at the dealer to run the update.

Last edited:
People are going to get upset over a car collecting data but have every excuse in the world as to why they aren't about their phone, Alexa, TV, etc. in their house?
This is the, "doing the right thing is hard, so why bother", arguement
There are things you can do about your phone, like leaving it at home.
You cannot leave your car at home, when you go somewhere.

PS: Another thing to do, is to use only non tracking browsers, Chrome and Edge are basically spyware.
As for email, gmail just for example, is known to do AI searches for content and report it to LE. For example firearms onwers to California state police. And Cal SP can cover it up via "parallel construction" (look this up). Its been a couple years since i read this so no longer have the source. But this is exactly the kind of content search engines would not be falling all over themsleves to steer you to.)
Research and then switch to protonmail.com, startmail.com and the like, if properly used, those are very very secure.

Last edited:
I dont know if its still a feature but I remember when a car would alert you if it determined you were falling asleep at the wheel. It was monitoring your eyes and head position. I dont know where they put the camera on those but it would not surprise me to find out they were still monitoring you without informing you of it.

One point missing from some of these posts is you’re not spyied on if you don’t connect the device to a network.
That goes for any device and certainly the new cars.
Even one the most connected of all, Tesla has an opt out.

You do have choices in life, the companies know the majority could care less.

Back