Your car is a spy

We already know that all new cars collect a ton of data on your driving behavior, but some of these additional items mentioned in the below article, if true, are a bit surprising.

Mozilla found brands including BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla, and Subaru collect data about drivers including race, facial expressions, weight, health information, and where you drive. Some of the cars tested collected data you wouldn’t expect your car to know about, including details about sexual activity, race, and immigration status,

The worst offender was Nissan, Mozilla said. The carmaker’s privacy policy suggests the manufacturer collects information including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data, though there’s no details about how exactly that data is gathered. Nissan reserves the right to share and sell “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.

Sexual activity, genetic data... what?

Mozilla doesn't list how the data in some categories are collected; like I highly doubt any car won't know what their owner's sexual activity is unless that owner registers on the manufacturer's website and accepts certain tracking cookies.

Mozilla doesn't list how the data in some categories are collected; like I highly doubt any car won't know what their owner's sexual activity is unless that owner registers on the manufacturer's website and accepts certain tracking cookies.
My guess is the mics and cameras in your car are always hot, so be careful what you say and do. :)

How are they seeing "facial expressions" on camera? I'm not aware of any camera installed in a way that would include the driver's face in view.

I'm not aware of any camera installed in a way that would include the driver's face in view.
Tesla has it. Genesis has it. Not sure who else...

This article on the use of cameras is a few years old, so I'm sure things have gotten even more intrusive now:

Microphones that record occupants give them all the data they need. Just ask Jeff Bezos…

The worst offender was Nissan, Mozilla said. The carmaker’s privacy policy suggests the manufacturer collects information including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data, though there’s no details about how exactly that data is gathered. Nissan reserves the right to share and sell “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.
Nissan ain't got nuttn' on @AutoMechanic then.

My guess is the mics and cameras in your car are always hot, so be careful what you say and do. :)
Not even that.

Unless you've turned it off, your phone is always hot and a lot of customers use their phone (e.x. Apple CarPlay) for commands while driving.

Thankfully BMW provides a lot of options to adjust the degree of sharing one wishes to engage in.

TBH I'm surprised that after 30 years LEO's haven't been given access to OBD data w/out a court order.

Not even that.

Unless you've turned it off, your phone is always hot and a lot of customers use their phone (e.x. Apple CarPlay) for commands while driving.

Thankfully BMW provides a lot of options to adjust the degree of sharing one wishes to engage in.

TBH I'm surprised that after 30 years LEO's haven't been given access to OBD data w/out a court order.
You can take steps, I know for Apple they make it easy to deny Apps access to anything that you do not want to allow. Agree the public at large doesnt bother but I would suspect a larger number of Apple users do bother. But certainly not everyone, (like my wife as an example *LOL*)who uses gmail and google on her phone. Geez. ..*LOL*
WIth that said, for those interested Apple makes is more easy do to and its Sandbox system is known to be more secure..

We already know that all new cars collect a ton of data on your driving behavior, but some of these additional items mentioned in the below article, if true, are a bit surprising.

Sexual activity, genetic data... what?

In the car??

Back