Your First Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol 20W-50, which was in cardboard cans with metal ends as I recall, which my buddy and I used in the barely running '59 TR3 we bought together in high school. Later used the same stuff in a '66 VW.

Originally Posted By: stcif
Quaker State 10W40.

+1 - yup - back in the late '60s - that's what my Dad used - it was called Quaker State Deluxe 10W-40. I used it for a while myself until Castrol GTX got me with their marketing in the 70s.

Amazing..

Most people here probably don't even remember their first kiss, but they remember their first oil purchase.
sick.gif
I don't have any further comment

Who knows? It was out of the bulk barrel that my dad used for his trucks. IIRC, 30w in the summer and 20w in the winter. It was used in a 1946 Chevy 4D Styleside sedan. I think I remember every car I've owned, all 44 of them, and several that others owned.

Edit that was in 1954..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Amazing..

Most people here probably don't even remember their first kiss, but they remember their first oil purchase.
sick.gif

I remember my first kiss. My first car was more fun though
wink.gif

First oil was Havoline 30 wt. in a AMC gremlin.
First oil in Ford Econoline Van was Chevron 10w30 I later changed it to Castrol GTX 10w30

I remember a case of oil was 24 qts.
I still have my oil spout. Grandson was fascinated by it.
First kiss, kinda vague on that.

Don't remember exactly what the first oil I bought was; but the first oil I used was GTX 5W-30 from the Mr. Lube nearest to me in a 1985 Buick Skyhawk.

I was a die-hard 3k-er; and none of my early cars burned much oil, so I never really had to buy any top-off oil.

When I did need to, I remember that Havoline was a good price at the WM worked for in the late 1990's...I know I bought some of that.

Pennzoil Conventional (PYB) 5W-30

Hastings Engine Air Filter #AF1511

2011 Ford Focus SE, 2.0L
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20
Motorcraft Oil Filter #FL-910S
Motorcraft Engine Air Filter #FA-1890

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
Amazing..

sick.gif

My first kiss I remember was in 1941 in the first grade in Chicago on South Homan ave. 300 block.

10w40 Pennzoil with Z-7 at a store called Korvettes (not sure of the spelling) It was 99 cents the 10w30 was 89 cents. and the filter was a maxi guard i was 15 at the time. I always took care of my engines of course i never registered them or insured them because i did not have my license yet...lol

Well, once I actually started paying attention to my car and what it needed, how it worked, and keeping it in good shape in my early 20s it was Havoline full synthetic 5w30 for $2.99 a qt. Prior to that I didn't pay much mind to what I put in my car in terms of oil. Now I always ran Amoco ultimate 93 in my cars. My step father worked at the Amoco refinery nearby.

My first car.. Dodge Omni where HP stood for Hamster Power.
Second car was the Mercury Tracer that my sister had owned. Ran well, very well in fact.
Third car was Ford Probe which was red, very nicely equipped. The car had a lot of miles on it with 147k. But it ran great for the next 4 yrs I had it. When I gave it away it had 227k miles on it. If I would have taken better care of it then it would've done much better. But I have no idea what oil I put in any of those cars.

I think it may have been Penrite HPR 30.
I used it for a number of years before thankfully moving on to better things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back