Thicker oil makes more HP?

Apologies if this has been posted before...this is the first time I have seen it. Dyno comparison of 5w-20 vs. 20w-50 at 100F and 212F. Nothing surprising except one run in particular...

Feel free to delete if this has been discussed before.

Gotta be straight with you bro, I am NOT wasting time with another hypo 20-30 minute video. If you are all about a single run, and I agree it could be interesting, give us a TIME STAMP or time started vid link

Sorry I am NOT trying to be offensive, it's from my gut, heart, head.

Pablo Out

No worries, discussion on results starts around the 15 minute mark. Only offensive thing was calling me "bro" (dang, I hate that term)
The surprise to me was that the thicker oil made more hp at the hot oil temps.

Gotta be straight with you bro, I am NOT wasting time with another hypo 20-30 minute video. If you are all about a single run, and I agree it could be interesting, give us a TIME STAMP or time started vid link

Sorry I am NOT trying to be offensive, it's from my gut, heart, head.

Pablo Out
+1

I appreciate the thought and interest in the topic, but there are SO many click bait-y videos especially from media sources like Motor Trend where they make a bunch of claims that are not really provable or significant. I remember years ago watching one on different mufflers and the flow rates vs. HP. The small gains between the different mufflers still fell within the margin of error in their tests, so it was essentially meaningless.

No worries, discussion on results starts around the 15 minute mark. Only offensive thing was calling me "bro" (dang, I hate that term)
I think skipping to 18 minutes is good.

I could dissect this video, get into repeatability, controls, etc - I'll leave that to kcshan - but the guy to the right kinda sums it up: large engine, tons of laps, large ring gaps........the thing to me is finding the sweet spot. Maybe an SAE 30 would make the most power? 10W-40?? Food for further thought.

Thanks for posting this!

At the packed, youthful bars on the Jersey Shore, there was always that conspicuous, old, skeevy looking guy who'd hang around.
When they make the movie, Central Casting could send any of those three.

In the old days I would fun 30 weight Quaker State racing oil in my 1968 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440...Back then that us what you did....along with a can of STP...

Yeah, sorry I don't like it either. I shouldn't even use bro when kidding around.
Best guess is: the thicker oil allows for improved ring seal, which resulted in slightly more power.
That is basically what he says, especially right after he says the engine is worn and big.

In the old days I would fun 30 weight Quaker State racing oil in my 1968 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440...Back then that us what you did....along with a can of STP...
I used 20W-50 in my 70 Challenger ,with the 340 . It would see lots of longish distances at over 100mph. Cars with big blocks woild smoke the car.

Reactions: hrv
So much talking in that video for so little data.

Very likely within the measurement uncertainty of that dyno; without doing multiple runs with each variable to establish a baseline for each, comparing single dyno run data with results that close is absolutely pointless.

The above is in contrast to the data in this paper and others:
Lubrication, Tribology & Motorsport, R.I. Taylor
Shell Global Solutions (UK), Cheshire Innovation Park, PO Box 1, Chester, CH1 3SH, UK
Where frictional losses decrease with lowering viscosities and BHP increases with lowering viscosity. A similar paper showed better ring seals with decreasing viscosity and this aiding in the increased BHP.
It has always been my understanding that thinner oils seal better at the pistons rings.
ali

The 20W-50 could have also had a lower mixed and boundary lubrication friction level due to the AF/AW additives. They should have measured the friction level of both oils in a lab to verify.

Back