Your First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much a rolling legend in the automotive community.

1994 Toyota Camry Coupe in red with a sunroof, 4 wheel-disc ABS, and the finest wheel covers ever made by Toyota.

It currently has over 350,000 miles. One of the owners who had it after me decided that it was in such nice shape, a 200,000 mile rollback wouldn't hurt it.

I have written about it at least six or seven times. Here's one that's a good fit for this thread.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/11527/when-was-the-last-time-you-saw-your-first-car

Last edited:
First vehicle I ever bought: 1998 Chevy K1500 Silverado 5.7

WD3pHAV.jpg

I didn't keep it that long due to some paperwork issues with it but I've been a GM guy ever since and late GMT400s (95-98) are still my favorite type of vehicle.

All vehicles I've add, though I'm probably forgetting some: 98 Silverado, 96 Yukon, 89 Ford E150, 83 Chevy C20, 02 Envoy, 95 Suburban, 77 Suburban, 07 Colorado, 99 Suburban, 99 Crown Vic, 05 Ram 1500, 97 Suburban (current), 08 Escape (current)

Last edited:
One of those green Corolla in the mid 90s, you know the one in Office Space? Yup, that's the one.

Passed it to my mom now, and she's pretty accident prone. Camber kit on both front struts and a blue door that we bent to fit the frame after her accident. 1.6 with 3 speed auto so you bet it revs like heck on the freeway, paint is almost all gone on the hood and the roof but otherwise OK. She's not scared of scratching it and don't want to replace it (scared of scraping up a new car). We'll probably keep it as long as my mom can drive, she's the opposite of my FIL.

1976 Chevy Nova, college graduation gift from my dad.
I was sort of wondering what I would do for a car when I went to work in Dallas and dad said I could have my pick from his three, other two were mid '70s Comet/Mavericks. I liked the Nova the best by far, one of the other cars had manual steering and the other was rusting out badly. Dad bought a used Marquis not too long after that (not the Grand kind).
The Nova had a chronic problem with the "heavy duty" leaf springs in the rear and also did not like to start in the cold. Dad had some tricks to get it going up in Chicago and it would start after long cranks in the 20F or whatever we saw for lows in Dallas.
A gal in a little tiny Honda rear ended me at speed near a 635 on ramp (I was stopped because some idiot in front of me stopped for good reason) and her front end was almost totally wiped out while the Nova just looked sort of pushed in. The Nova was hard to drive after that and I ended up buying...a little tiny Honda.

This is pretty much it, but I think I had steelies...

1966 Chevy II Nova, 194 6 cylinder + PowerGlide. Two speeds, slow and slower. But mine was white and more rusty and oil burny....

This isn't mine but it looks just like it. A 1997 Ford Explorer XLT. I still miss those seats, they were insanely comfortable. It had no power, it got terrible gas mileage, but it was reliable as a Swiss watch.

1995-ford-explorer.jpg

1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme (pictures stolen from the internet):
1974-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-base-coupe-2-door-57l-11.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

It was my grandmother's, she had the Supreme, whilst my grandfather had a '75 Cutlass Salon. Both cars had the 350 "Rocket" in them. Was a great car, though the body was pretty shot and my grandfather sent it to the wreckers without telling me when we moved down east. That's when I got my 2nd car, a 1986 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with the anemic 307.

Funny, I was just wishbooking the Internet about this yesterday.

1970 Grand Prix Model J, the Great Black Shark. Imagine this one with a 2/3 white vinyl top, white interior, and a lot more rust. It had been a Chicago car.

The 2-ton boat won a lot of street races in my little home town. Somebody told me it must have been a Wednesday car.

I think it was repainted from this color:

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
1986 Renault Alliance...no good.

My uncle had one of those. Kept blowing things in the top end of the engine.

1968 Chevelle SS396 convertible.My dad bought it for me in 1975,it was rough.He paid $250 for it.I fixed it up and sold it for $1600 in 1978 while I was still 16 years old.

Internet pic of a 1960 Dodge Seneca with the slant 6 with the auto trans. I bought it in 1965.

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture+of+1+1960+dodge+seneca+two+door+sedan&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=7Wuz7zTabgQFWM%253A%252CUgragBvu2RJLdM%252C_&usg=__cMwqb9cJsEu-6Am1H2te7VTFDyk%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjU0OWJlv3XAhWDQCYKHSAAD3IQ9QEIMjAD#imgrc=JsBG2C6Kc6k8OM:

1990 Ford Thunderbird LX
1989 VW Jetta GL 8v
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
1995 Ford Thunderbird LX
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
1998 Ford F150 Roush Nascar Edition
2003 Saturn Ion Level 1
2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
2014 Toyota Rav4
2010 Toyota Rav4
2011 Hyundai Sonata

Originally Posted By: tig1
Internet pic of a 1960 Dodge Seneca with the slant 6 with the auto trans. I bought it in 1965.

My first two cars.. 90 Festiva L Plus Sunsport, I've never seen another Sunsport in person. The second was a 86 Cavalier RS.. neat car with digital dash. Too bad young and dumb and totaled both.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: tig1

That's it! Only mine was the color of the roof in this pic. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slug_bug

1974 Gran Torino Elite

My uncle still has one of these and he uses it as his daily driver. He has owned it since it was 10 and previous to him owning it, it was a summer only car. It's on it's 2nd engine and 3rd transmission and has over 600,000km (375K Miles) on it. He loves it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back