Your First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bbhero
StevieC that Dodge Omni made my 95 Nissan Sentra look a Bugatti Veyron in comparison.

grin2.gif

To drive daily (as if mine): 1966 Chrysler Newport. 4 door w/383 and a 3 speed auto. Otherwise, a stripper (no AC, vinyl seats, small hubcaps).
'Twas owned by a sick uncle.
Actually mine: 1970 Toyota Corona MkII. Wagon w/8-RC and a 3 speed auto.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: wemay
1985 Dodge Charger

Was than an Omni ?

Back in the 80s, I built an Omni turbo (IIRC) 1:24 model kit...models in shops were not wide spread, so I had to build something.

Couple years later, I married my Brother's '69 boss mustang floorpan and driveline into it...then after that was done a concorde engine pod inverted on the roof...

In our mkt, this was the Omni. I wish it were an Omni i was driving...

2002 BMW 325xi got it in 2013 when I was a junior in high school. The car looked great, but ran like [censored]. I didn't have the money or the know-how to keep it maintained. My Solara now is well maintained thanks to this site, though it doesn't look nearly as good as the beemer.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
1951 Ford Victoria coupe. Flathead V8, three on the tree, nice car. Had it a week, until it went back for the car my folks actually bought for me "to learn on" - 1938 Dodge 4 door.

Mine was 2-tone blue/white. I got to drive it around the block a few times, then away it went ...

Mine was a 1951 black Ford 2 door just like this but without the visor - life was good.
cool.gif

My 1990 Ford Econoline dubbed the E150GT. 4.9L Engine C6 transmission Short wheel base. She revved all the way to 3900 RPM, verified by a sun pro tach. Loved that van, and still have dreams about it occasionally. Yes I put advanced auto $20 cab lights on it too. Got it right after high school from my parents as they quit using it. It made it to 225k and the transmission went out and I didn't think I could swing $400 for a rebuild. I regret selling it to the scrap yard.

The Van by JOHN, on Flickr

^5 buick convertible.

Nice hand me down from parents with 90K miles and a burnt ex valve and little rust if any.

Nice car to learn to work on cars. The Super Turbine 400 with switch pitch converter was a good tranny. If that think didn't have REALLY tall highway gear in the 2's it would have hit 60 in the mid 5's. Not bad for 2.5 tonnes

401 nailhead with carter AFB.

Like this but its all white and its a 1965 Electra 225.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: old1
Hard to find a picture of my first car that isn't now a hot rod or customized. It was a 12 year old 1947 Chevrolet stylemaster 4 door.

Ha.. Mine was a 1946 and it was 8 years old.
thumbsup2.gif

My first was a 1933 Plymouth that two high school friends and I bought from the grandmother of another friend. At some point before we bought it, it had been painted flat black with a 4" brush. Really ugly, but it ran!

The first car that I bought when I graduated college was a 1964 Volvo PV-544 Sport in this exact grey color. Great car! I wish I still had it.

1968 Ford Ranchero. Except faded 'Tahoe Turquoise' paint, poverty cap wheels, no fancy bed rail trim.... and well-worn (it had been my Dad's, he retired it when the oil pump locked up at close to 200k miles. I put in a 289 short block and soldiered on a few years.)

33530920001_original.jpg

Pretty much looked just like this.

250 cubic inch (4.0L) single barrel carb in-line six with 98hp. I actually had to look it up. I had no idea it was that pathetically weak, I just knew it wouldn't go past 90mph. Just wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back