Your First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: slug_bug

1974 Gran Torino Elite

My uncle still has one of these and he uses it as his daily driver. He has owned it since it was 10 and previous to him owning it, it was a summer only car. It's on it's 2nd engine and 3rd transmission and has over 600,000km (375K Miles) on it. He loves it.

It's great to see vehicles running well beyond their prime due to good maintenance and general up keep.
thumbsup2.gif

2001 Saturn SL with 100HP or as I called her "white lightning". She got me through 4 years of college reliably while getting me 36-38mpg. Perfect car for a broke college student. Bought it at 81k miles with money I made doing construction work one summer and drove it to just under 135k miles when I donated it after the clutch hydraulics, timing chain, water pump and bad wheel bearing all decided to go bad around the same time. I miss the car but not snowy upstate NY. This pic was from winter 2010 or early 2011 just before I got rid of her and bought my current Mazda.

1985 Buick Skyhawk 4-door sedan.

2-tone dark/light blue, dark blue velour interior. 2-liter Chevrolet OHV 4-cylinder, 3-speed automatic.

Bought it in 1994 as a 'granny driven' car with only 62k miles on it, drove it 2 years and got it to about 95k miles.

Cost me a small fortune to get it there, but I just couldn't admit I bought a lemon!

1988-mazda-323-5.jpg

1989 mazda 323. Taught me about oil when it wouldn't start at -7'F (fairly unreasonable.) I roll started it and it barely turned over in 2nd gear, almost toasted my clutch too. Starter died trying that night. Motor was TIGHT!

I sold it when something went kablooey in the clutch/tranny and I had to shut it off at lights to put it into 1st gear. Had a line on a cadillac cimarron that I thought was cooler.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
1974 Olds Cutlass Supreme (pictures stolen from the internet):
1974-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme-base-coupe-2-door-57l-11.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

It was my grandmother's, she had the Supreme, whilst my grandfather had a '75 Cutlass Salon. Both cars had the 350 "Rocket" in them. Was a great car, though the body was pretty shot and my grandfather sent it to the wreckers without telling me when we moved down east. That's when I got my 2nd car, a 1986 Olds Custom Cruiser wagon with the anemic 307.

We had the very same first car!
cheers3.gif

Want to hear a weird story about my Cutlass? One time in the middle of the night,someone stole the accelerator pedal out of it! Why??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Want to hear a weird story about my Cutlass? One time in the middle of the night,someone stole the accelerator pedal out of it! Why??
21.gif

That IS bizarre!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06

I drove my parents 1994 Ford Explorer Sport. When I was in high school I was the only one who drove it and it was "my" car at the time. These pics were taken last March. My mom is still driving it today. 218k miles and still going strong. Dad bought it back in 1996 when it had about 20k miles on it. Very tough and reliable vehicle. I did my share of stupid things in it and it handled all of it extremely well. This car is the reason I'm a Ford guy.

My first car was a 1991 Ford Explorer Sport (first year and the first one in my town!). The sport package included (manual windows, AC, Auto 4X4 and 5-speed manual). The color was called "Hot Strawberry" but in appearance it was a metallic red.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
21.gif

That IS bizarre!
crazy2.gif

That is strange. Back in the day, didn't just about every automotive shop have those hanging Dorman type displays with GM pedals?

Not mine, but similar after I spent all summer repairing and painting. I should have known that a 3 year old car that needed clutch, speedometer, ball joints, front deck hinges, and plastic filler was a red flag.
grin.gif
Dumb 16 year old, I was. Paid $300 and towed it home.

'62 Bonneville ragtop. 389 4 barrel, 4 speed auto. 1st gear was a granny gear to get the big tub moving. Bought it in '69 or '70 while in the USN stationed on Oahu. It was my job to protect all the bars in Honolulu from the communist red menace.....and I took it seriously
grin.gif
I was 20 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back