Yamaha Bolt XV950

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd use dino 20w50 in summer and dino 10w40 in winter and change it a little more frequently (over dedicated MC oil).

I was in Brunei in the "winter" once. It was quite hot.

For what its worth (very little) I have run straight 40W oil (CPC, which you wont get in Brunei, and Delvac, which you might) in cars, small capacity shared sump motorcycles, and a 2-stroke motorcycle gearbox. Seemed to work fine.

This is here in Taiwan, which has an almost frigid climate compared to Brunei (though it never gets actually cold).

I've also run Delvac MX 15/40. It seemed to work fine too.

The argument that straight weights don't get the research is slightly undermined by the fact that research into HDEO's is unlikely to be aimed at improving their performance in motorcycles.

Just to add, in case it isn't obvious. Monogrades have the advantage that they don't shear significantly, and older spec/tech oils may well be better in a motorcycle, since recent innovations, such as reduction in ZDDP and introduction of improved friction modifiers, may be harmful.

I want to thank you guys for the awesome information!

All your posts are greatly appreciated. Sorry i can't thank each and every post individually, it'd be pages of reposts if i did!

I'm going back home tomorrow for a few weeks holiday and i can't wait to see what HDEO's are available. As for ratings, here we just seem to follow the API and "15w40" type grades.

I'm leaning towards a HDEO for sure.

The reason i feel like dumping the Yamalube after around 1,000km of riding is because my bike is still new (2,100km on the clock) and i'm under the impression that there's alot of particulates in the oil due to the nature of the engine breaking in.

However, the only 20w50 i've seen widely available here is Castrol GTX 20w50. use that in my car (planning to change to a HDEO rather than PCMO sometime). I didn't choose it, it was what the previous owner always ran, and i've been following suite. only got to the nit-picking of oil since i read the forums and got a motorcycle.

Would Castrol GTX 20w50 be advisable for my motorcycle? after googling i got mixed reviews.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd use dino 20w50 in summer and dino 10w40 in winter and change it a little more frequently (over dedicated MC oil).

I was in Brunei in the "winter" once. It was quite hot.

You were in Brunei? awesome!

Castrol GTX used to be a good oil, but BP has largely turned a good product line into a very mediocre one.

I would use a HDEO over GTX I think based on the fact a HDEO additive package will likely be more stout despite the thinner viscosity.

Hi guys,

Ended up using Mobil Delvac MX 15w40.

It was only 28 dollars for 5l, as opposed to 32 dollars for 1l of amsoil or motul.

The Yamalube on my dipstick "looked okay", but i was itching to try a HDEO in my bike. Got a strap wrench and Delvac MX at a local supermarket and did an oil change. Wow, second oil change and less than 1,500km and the Yamalube was really dirty!

The reason i chose Delvac MX was because i read good things about it, and it was readily available everywhere. I may try Delvac 1300 super next time.

However, i did find Chevron Delo 400 for 25 dollars for a 5l jug. They sell huge drums for an even better price i think, down at a garage here. I might try that one day because it is 3 dollars cheaper, haha.

The bike runs fine, at idle it seems alot quieter, even the exhaust note at idle sounds a bit deeper (ive got an aftermarket slip on). Riding, the bike seems to pull stronger, but the downshifts are a bit hard feeling. I read it gets brtter after a few hundred kms. Or maybe im dow shifting with the clutch in at too high of an engine speed.

Overall im very happy as this is the first time ive changed oil on a vehicle in my life. I was so scared about using a HDEO "diesel" oil, but after scouring the forums here, im glad i made the jump. The bike feels smooth at highway speeds. Used to have to wring the bike to get to 130 or 140km, but now i can get to 130km and cruise there all day long. The bike just feels quicker. Smoother as well, but then again i did perform a fuel injector synchronization at home, which made the bike vibrate less at speed.

I get HDEO for around 5-6 dollars a litre. My bike takes 4l. HDEO is affordable and readily available. Changing oil at the dealership here costs 6 dollars service charge with yamalube at 12 dollars a litre, or castrol 4t activ for 9 dollars a litre. Over time, it equates to savings when changing oil at home with HDEO, and HDEO seems really good because of the detergents and robust properties.

Good job on stepping up and taking the plunge to do it yourself! It really is a good feeling when you can do things yourself.

If you can get Delo or Delvac 1300 cheaper next time, I wouldn't hesitate to use those either.

Ride safe and keep learning!

Originally Posted By: AMC
Good job on stepping up and taking the plunge to do it yourself! It really is a good feeling when you can do things yourself.

If you can get Delo or Delvac 1300 cheaper next time, I wouldn't hesitate to use those either.

Ride safe and keep learning!

Thanks! It is a good feeling to do maintenance yourself!

I see you have a super tenere and use delo 15w40. Is it a wet sump? Ive been reading about delo and people have said some formulation has changed or something? I think delo's bottle looks funky and is cheaper than Delvac, so i would be willing to try.

I rode with an MT10 last night and had to rev hard to keep up. The Delvac HDEO performed flawlessly! Usually when parking the bike, there would be those metallic ping noises coming from the bike, but i do not hear any more since using a HDEO. On the MT10, i could still hear plenty of pinging.

Thanks again, you ride safe as well! Ive learnt alot from this forum and i continue to do so.

Originally Posted By: FWR132

Thanks! It is a good feeling to do maintenance yourself!

I see you have a super tenere and use delo 15w40. Is it a wet sump? Ive been reading about delo and people have said some formulation has changed or something? I think delo's bottle looks funky and is cheaper than Delvac, so i would be willing to try.

I rode with an MT10 last night and had to rev hard to keep up. The Delvac HDEO performed flawlessly! Usually when parking the bike, there would be those metallic ping noises coming from the bike, but i do not hear any more since using a HDEO. On the MT10, i could still hear plenty of pinging.

Thanks again, you ride safe as well! Ive learnt alot from this forum and i continue to do so.

Yes it's a wet/shared sump. I tried Kawilube, rotella and delo in it so far no problems with anything at all. I have tried many different brands of oil with many different motorcycles over the years. I have never had an HDEO cause clutch slippage in a shared sump bike. I think people overly worry about that.

I can say that using too thin of an oil or using PCMO (car oil) in a shared sump motorcycle can exacerbate clutch slippage IF your clutch is already worn out and past it's service life. That is a problem with your clutch though, only made worse by incorrect oil.

The pinging noise you heard is more likely from pre-ignition of your gas and has nothing to do with your oil. That just means your fuel mixture is igniting a bit too soon. Your machine needs higher octane and/or higher quality fuel if it is making that noise. A good way to test it is to accelerate hard up a hill and listen closely. If you get the ping noise, try a higher octane fuel or at least get your fuel from a different gas station. Newer gas stations that are very busy and sell alot of fuel on a daily basis are usually a safe bet.

As far as keeping up, the MT10 is a much more powerful bike than yours, it is no surprise you were struggling to keep up. Not much you can about that part, just be safe and have fun!

I missed the part where he said "after parking the bike". I think he is referring to the noise the exhaust makes during its cooling cycle when it is shut off. That is totally normal and some vehicles do it more than others. My Super Tenere and Silverado make that noise, my wife's ford does not.

Originally Posted By: AMC
I missed the part where he said "after parking the bike". I think he is referring to the noise the exhaust makes during its cooling cycle when it is shut off. That is totally normal and some vehicles do it more than others. My Super Tenere and Silverado make that noise, my wife's ford does not.

Yup, after parking the bike.

I remember reading on a HD forum that people who switched to diesel oil noticed less of the ting ping sounds upon parking.

My bolt used to do it alot, but after using Delvac and revving hard and riding fast then parking, i dont hear these pinging sounds.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
I think he was referring to the noises some air cooled engines make after shutdown (while cooling down).

You are correct. My mate's MT-10 isnt air cooled but pings alot

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Most fuel injection setups on bikes have knock sensors that retard the timing if it detects pre detonation.

Thats a good thing to know

Most fuel injection setups on bikes have knock sensors that retard the timing if it detects pre detonation.

Ain't no such thing.

You can have detonation, or you can have pre-ignition, or I suppose you could have both, but you can't have pre detonation

In principle, knock sensors only detect detonation, not pre-ignition, though there seems to be some argument about that.

Source?

I'll agree its true for modern cars and trucks... motorcycles, I don't think so.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3

Source?

I'll agree its true for modern cars and trucks... motorcycles, I don't think so.

The OP's has it....Google is your friend. My Triumph has it. Harleys got em. There is more than one form of anti knock sensing technology, but it is in wide usage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

Ain't no such thing.

You can have detonation, or you can have pre-ignition, or I suppose you could have both, but you can't have pre detonation

In principle, knock sensors only detect detonation, not pre-ignition, though there seems to be some argument about that.

Splitting hairs on terminology my friend. English is the second language I learned as a kid growing up around Germans. I guess I will just use the more colloquial "ping" and "Knock" from now on as to not offend you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back