Wrecked my bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
I think I'm done, and so is my wife.

If you walked away from an 80 mph bike crash unhurt this is probably a good decision. Good luck all used up.

Glad you're OK.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Glad to hear OP and wife is ok.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Seriously, what can a biker do in that situation? Flash your lights I suppose.

OR accelerate faster when passing.
That's one of the reason's why I'd seriously consider a liter bike as my next one.
Nothing scarier than not having enough power to accelerate out of danger.

I was going about 80. Just how fast should I go to pass?

Quick blasts up to 100 shouldn't be an issue, esp. when riding two up.
Us riders often forget one of the main tips of riding a motorcycle:
"Always ride as though you are invisible to everyone else"
If this means needing to make swift moves (accelerating) on a moments notice, then so be it.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

If you walked away from an 80 mph bike crash unhurt this is probably a good decision. Good luck all used up.

Glad you're OK.

No, I'm sure it is a bad decision, since it is a decision I am making. But I'm used to that.

Glad to hear OP and wife is ok.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Seriously, what can a biker do in that situation? Flash your lights I suppose.

OR accelerate faster when passing.
That's one of the reason's why I'd seriously consider a liter bike as my next one.
Nothing scarier than not having enough power to accelerate out of danger.

I was going about 80. Just how fast should I go to pass?

Quick blasts up to 100 shouldn't be an issue, esp. when riding two up.
Us riders often forget one of the main tips of riding a motorcycle:
"Always ride as though you are invisible to everyone else"
If this means needing to make swift moves (accelerating) on a moments notice, then so be it.

Not riding two-up. I don't think a "quick blast" from 80 to 100+ is in the cards for a Sportster, and I KNOW it isn't for my wife's PC800.

Also, a ticket for 15+ over basically means my life is over.

Glad you are OK, but I have to wonder how fast was the truck going?

If you were passing @ 80 mph, truck was doing max (legal) speed of 70 mph (assuming speed limit was 75 mph for you), how long does it take to overtake the truck (I know this sounds like a school math problem).

And just because your wife saw the driver looking in his mirror does not mean he saw you.
As said above, you are invisible on a bike.

This is one of the reasons I have a gopro on my helmet (and cameras in my cars).
I semi-jokingly told my wife that the reason I have the camera is so when I am found dead on the road, hopefully it was recorded who did it.

Glad you are ok, not second guessing you one bit. I try to stay as far away from trucks as possible. I normally follow them off of their left corner for a bit where I can clearly see their mirror and am normally pushing 100 when I come past the cab. That is just how I do it. I worry as much about their tires as I do the drivers.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Glad you and your wife ok. Sorry about the bike, not much consolation but it can be fixed or replaced if you choose. Your life and health are most important.

I get it. I sold my last bike a few years ago basically because of this very thing. Not so much worried about myself and my skills but what some loony might do. That and my age, risk reward not worth it. Can't say I'm entirely over it though, but at this point unlikely another bike in my future.

Again, glad you and your wife ok.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Glad you are OK, but I have to wonder how fast was the truck going?

If you were passing @ 80 mph, truck was doing max (legal) speed of 70 mph (assuming speed limit was 75 mph for you), how long does it take to overtake the truck (I know this sounds like a school math problem).

He was going about 70. I recall that stretch of I-30 was 70 for all traffic. With a 10MPH speed differential, passing an OTR truck (sleeper-cab semi pulling a 53' trailer, about 75') would take between 5 and 6 seconds.

Quote:
And just because your wife saw the driver looking in his mirror does not mean he saw you.
As said above, you are invisible on a bike.

Not looking in his mirror, he was WATCHING me, eyes steady on the mirror. My wife kept watching him because she thought he was waiting for me to pass so he could move into the left lane, and she'd have to wait to get around him. (That's why he didn't get both of us.)

Glad you and your wife ok. Sorry about the bike, not much consolation but it can be fixed or replaced if you choose. Your life and health are most important.

I get it. I sold my last bike a few years ago basically because of this very thing. Not so much worried about myself and my skills but what some loony might do. That and my age, risk reward not worth it. Can't say I'm entirely over it though, but at this point unlikely another bike in my future.

Again, glad you and your wife ok.

Oh, I still want to ride, but have accepted I never will. I need to go to the DMV to get the M taken off my license, and need to get my wife off the bike any way I can. If necessary, her PC might simply vanish without a trace.

Like everyone else, I'm glad you're ok, and I totally understand why you've decided to quit. What's really great though, is that you're not here telling everyone they need to stop riding too, it's dangerous, you'll die, it's immoral to ride motorcycles! In fact, I see in other threads, you're giving helpful motorcycle advice - hats off to you mate, I really mean it!

I wish I could ride, but can't at this point. I'm sure no longer riding is the wrong decision, but I have to do it anyway.

Oh, I still want to ride, but have accepted I never will. I need to go to the DMV to get the M taken off my license, and need to get my wife off the bike any way I can. If necessary, her PC might simply vanish without a trace.

Why do you have to get the M taken off?
Do you pay extra for it?
Up here in Canada, as long as you have the endorsement, it's yours for life (as long as you stay in Canada).
After the initial costs, there's no additional yearly fee.

That is just not cool.

I know you're upset, but that is a total bad move.
If I sold my wife's motorcycle out from under her, without her permission, she would never trust me again.
She is not my property, and your wife is not just a belonging of yours to do this to.

You need to step back, and talk to your wife about what she thinks, and wants to do.
Most importantly, you need to RESPECT her decision if it goes against yours.

BC.

Jarlaxle wants the endorsement taken off his license so it's not legal for him to ride, as a deterrent.

Understand where you're coming from with your wife. It's your job to ride with her and help and protect her as much as possible and you can't do that if she's riding and you're not. And you don't want to lose her. As has been said hopefully you'll have conversations and come to a mutual decision and not make her bike disappear. Does she still want to ride after seeing what happened and being sure it was intentional?

Why do you have to get the M taken off?
Do you pay extra for it?
Up here in Canada, as long as you have the endorsement, it's yours for life (as long as you stay in Canada).
After the initial costs, there's no additional yearly fee.

I don't want to. But I NEED to, because that will remove the temptation to ride again.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Jarlaxle wants the endorsement taken off his license so it's not legal for him to ride, as a deterrent.

Understand where you're coming from with your wife. It's your job to ride with her and help and protect her as much as possible and you can't do that if she's riding and you're not. And you don't want to lose her. As has been said hopefully you'll have conversations and come to a mutual decision and not make her bike disappear. Does she still want to ride after seeing what happened and being sure it was intentional?

She suggested I buy a replacement bike in Arkansas and ride it home. She rode home from Arkansas.

At this point, I no longer care. If getting her to stop riding ends my marriage...as long as she's off the bike forever, so be it.

If I told my wife to stop riding, she'd be still riding today. It was her decision, not mine. Same as her not telling me to stop riding, it's not her choice, it's mine.

Again, at this point, I no longer care. If getting her to stop riding ends my marriage...as long as she's off the bike forever, so be it.

Glad you're okay. Know how long it took you to find the Sportster you wanted. After totaling my Ducati last year and 12 weeks on crutches and in a c-collar, I swore off riding too. Five months later I got the Moto Guzzi... When it's in your blood it's in your blood, but I totally get where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back