Wrapping screw on oilfilter in heatinsulation to increase warm up in cold climates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Budget shouldn't be a problem. Go ahead and try. Make sure it's not dangerous.
Do "seat of your pants" testing.
If you sense any "improvement" you can take it to any next level you like....including concluding there was little discernible effect.
Who knows, you may become a BITOG Cold Weather Hero.

By far the coolant/thermostat brings engine temp up much faster than oil will. IMO you're wasting your time on this theory. I have a 6.2L V8 in a truck and i feel good heat coming out with 1 mile of starting.
Many vehicles have electric grid heaters that are basically instant heat in the HVAC. These start at cold engine start and bridge the gap until the coolant can get up to temp. Sounds like you have one of these in your heating system.

Many vehicles have electric grid heaters that are basically instant heat in the HVAC. These start at cold engine start and bridge the gap until the coolant can get up to temp. Sounds like you have one of these in your heating system.
Yes my old ECHO has a PTC heater that came with the cold weather package.

However i can imagine that a thinwalled metal cup of hot oil sitting on outside the engine cools down rather fast.
Its basicly the only point where the oil is "outside" the engine and closest to cool air.
If you look at other equipment designed to dissipate heat, there is a huge amount of surface area built in. Look at radiators, oil/transmission coolers, air cooled engine cylinder jugs, finned rear differential covers, etc..

The surface area of an oil filter can compared to the amount of flow of oil probably results in minimal cooling. Sure, insulating it might help a tiny amount to accelerate oil heating, but probably not enough to be significant. Try to heat your house with one incandescent light bulb or cooling your 4,000 sq. ft. home with one 4K BTU air conditioner. The physics of heat transfer probably just don't work.

Isn't OP is talking about warm up of a running engine?
He is talking about warmup of a running engine and retaining heat in the engine after shutting it off, extending the time the vehicle can sit and avoid a cold start.

And frankly as I alluded to earlier I don't even see how it's going to have an effect on how long it takes to warm up, when the warmup first starts, there won't even be a temp difference between the oil and the air probably, so no insulation could make any difference at all...insulation won't matter until there is a noticeable delta-T between oil and air, which won't be until the oil is already warmed up, at which point insulation's biggest change may simply be hotter operating temp oil

But I suppose the person I quoted was suggesting that the oil flows through the filter so quickly while the engine is running it wont' have time to lose any heat through the filter. I don't buy that, though

Considering the surface area of the aluminum engine block vs. the steel of the filter can, the heat loss in the filter is negligible. Thermal conductivity of raw aluminum vs painted steel is about 10 times greater as well. You won’t make any improvements by wrapping the filter.

No unfortunantly i can not calculate it and i dont have acces to a thermal camera.

However i can imagine that a thinwalled metal cup of hot oil sitting on outside the engine cools down rather fast.
Its basicly the only point where the oil is "outside" the engine and closest to cool air.

As been said here before the other large contact area would be the sump which they insulate ice road truckers but thats a totally different environment offcourse.
However some modern cars have plastic fiber sumps, i gues aggain to cut costs/wheigt and decrease heat loss. Alluminium is one of the best conducting materials.

Can somebody here name one drawback of an engine that reaches operating temp faster and keeps the heat in for longer? Especially for a car that doenst see long trips regulary but a lot of relatively short trips.
I’m not sure why you’re focusing your efforts on the oil filter though. The oil pan is what matters. In every car I’ve been under, the oil filter cools off much faster than the oil pan. There’s a reason why cars can be fitted with oil pan heaters, not oil filter warmers.

This sounds a bit like a solution in search of a problem. The oil/coolant heat exchanger will have the largest impact on the oil temperature.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a00.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a6.jpg

Drain the oil at night. In the morning, heat it up in the microwave or on top of the stove. Once hot, pour back into the engine. Problem solved.
That's what farmers here used to do before electrification reached the rural areas (starting post-WWII). Not a microwave oven, of course, but a wood stove.

This sounds a bit like a solution in search of a problem. The oil/coolant heat exchanger will have the largest impact on the oil temperature.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_a00.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5a6.jpg

Yes but the oil to water heat exchanger first helps the oil to heat up, because the thermostat controlled water circuit heats up faster and thus takes the oil with it. Once operating temp is reached it prevents the oil from going above 110 120c.
I’m not sure why you’re focusing your efforts on the oil filter though. The oil pan is what matters. In every car I’ve been under, the oil filter cools off much faster than the oil pan. There’s a reason why cars can be fitted with oil pan heaters, not oil filter warmers.
Yeah the oilpan will be much better isolated once we have fitted the engine bay undershield.
This will also decrease the convection that occours around the engine once the car is switched off thus helping with keeping the heat in but also with warm up because it prevents the cold driving air from flowing over the pan and thus cooling the oil.

One of the best soluotions to help with the warm up would be to fit a turbocharger:D:D
Those create an enormous amount of heat because its basicly a heat exchanger in the exhaust.

Yes and motor oil was a whole lot different then as well.
Yes, I remember adding a couple of litres of Quaker State 10W-30 to my oil-guzzling Impala, one very cold winter in the early '80s. The oil had been cold-soaked in the trunk, and came out of the can (cardboard cylinder with steel end caps) like cold molasses. Literally took a couple of minutes per can.

Yes but the oil to water heat exchanger first helps the oil to heat up, because the thermostat controlled water circuit heats up faster and thus takes the oil with it. Once operating temp is reached it prevents the oil from going above 110 120c.

So where's the "but"? That's exactly what it does, the coolant heats the oil because the oil is VERY slow to come up to temperature. Since the vehicle in question has the aforementioned device, insulating the oil filter isn't going to accomplish anything, all the heavy lifting in bringing the oil up to temp rapidly will be done by the coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back