Wrapping screw on oilfilter in heatinsulation to increase warm up in cold climates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why are car manufacturers spending tons of money in r&d on the shortening of heat up time for modern car engines? Because its a joke?

30 degrees is not what I or others consider cold. Here in the Midwest where high temperature in January and February can sometimes reach highs in the negative 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Most vehicles don't have any issues with reaching temperature when the cooling system is optimal. The most I've ever done personally was install a radiator hose heater,which was easy to install and effective as well.

And wrapping 2 euros worth of heat insulation around the oil filter is difficult and not effective?
Never in my life have I ever seen or heard of this being done and this has absolutely nothing to do with how fast a vehicle will warm up either.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and stick with proven methods.

Reactions: JC1
Never in my life have I ever seen or heard of this being done and this has absolutely nothing to do with how fast a vehicle will warm up either.

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and stick with proven methods.
Youre making it look like i am in rocket science territory here.

But i will clarify it for you:

The hottest part containg oil on the thermal image you can see here is the oil filter.

If you insulate the oil filter the heat can not escape.

This means the heat stays in the oil and the oil heats up faster and stays hot for longer.

So it is not that complex.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210112-231250_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20210112-231250_YouTube.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 21
Youre making it look like i am in rocket science territory here.

But i will clarify it for you:

The hottest part containg oil on the thermal image you can see here is the oil filter.

If you insulate the oil filter the heat can not escape.

This means the heat stays in the oil and the oil heats up faster and stays hot for longer.

So it is not that complex.

If it makes you feel better then by all means do it! 😂

LoL ... yeah, it's far from "rocket science" ... although there are a lot of thermal considerations in rocket science. :D

You could certainly try it. Ice road truckers WAY up north in alaska tarp up the under belly of the tractor from the front bumper back to help retain heat.
Okay yes that might make sense if youre going that far up north. I also know that i finland they put a small fire under the enigne to keep it hot during the night :ROFLMAO:

• Haha

Yes thats just a flashy cover to make their engine bay look racier :ROFLMAO:

Insulate the filter and then claim to reduce oil temps:ROFLMAO:

Go for it. I'm not sure how you'll determine if it is beneficial or not, but it certainly seems easy enough to try.

if you need high oil temps faster just delete the oil cooler if you have one

or just use a low temp thermostat which is extremely counterproductive

I mean, the theory is pretty straightforward. As long as you don't hurt anything getting material jammed up somewhere harmful, why not? There sure do seem to be a lot of daily driver/use situations where, IF you could keep oil warmer longer, it should only help

But then 30* isn't particularly cold and cold soaks for periods of time are going to be the same. And I don't think it will warm up any sooner, I'm betting the heat lost through the oil filter walls is a much slower process especially when oil is cold/cool than the heat that's being added. The greatest delta-t is going to be after the oil is already hot and that's when you'd be trapping the most heat

Do you know anything about heat transfer? Eg, can you calculate how much heat is actually lost from the oil filter during engine heat-up compared to total engine heat loss? Can you then calculate how much of that heat would be retained with gerry rigged insulation. Color differences on a thermal image look dramatic but do the engineering and you will likely see that oil filter insulation will not yield a measurable improvement.

Do you know anything about heat transfer? Eg, can you calculate how much heat is actually lost from the oil filter during engine heat-up compared to total engine heat loss? Can you then calculate how much of that heat would be retained with gerry rigged insulation. Color differences on a thermal image look dramatic but do the engineering and you will likely see that oil filter insulation will not yield a measurable improvement.
No unfortunantly i can not calculate it and i dont have acces to a thermal camera.

However i can imagine that a thinwalled metal cup of hot oil sitting on outside the engine cools down rather fast.
Its basicly the only point where the oil is "outside" the engine and closest to cool air.

As been said here before the other large contact area would be the sump which they insulate ice road truckers but thats a totally different environment offcourse.
However some modern cars have plastic fiber sumps, i gues aggain to cut costs/wheigt and decrease heat loss. Alluminium is one of the best conducting materials.

Can somebody here name one drawback of an engine that reaches operating temp faster and keeps the heat in for longer? Especially for a car that doenst see long trips regulary but a lot of relatively short trips.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back