Would you run these or send them back?

IMG_6079.jpeg
IMG_6088.jpeg
IMG_6087.jpeg
I bought a single tire to use as a spare off eBay. Seller makes the usual disclaimers.
Tire may be patched
We do not repair sidewalls
Lifetime warranty on patch
Patches done by a professional
So I received the tire and said no way, and am sending it back. They are sending me an identical tire, no patch and paying to return this one. The question is would you have used this tire?

Nope, I would not use it. That is a pretty big hole defect, that will, once put into service when you do get a flat, allow water ingress into the plies and belts. A safe and lasting repair would have to remove the inside patch, plug the hole, and reapply another inside patch. Too much trouble for a problem that should not be there in the first place. But, if it happened to a tire of mine already on the car, i would consider it after plugging the hole and putting a patch on the inside..

Seeing the patch is a half inch away from the sidewall, I'd have no problem with it depending on the price.
The second pic looks like a hole that is possibly patched on the inside and the third looks like a sidewall patch

Every action we take is a trade-off, so yes. If I was charged $100 for that tire I'd be mad. $50, not so much. Not everybody can afford the newer cars with the latest safety systems, so yes, it's price dependent.

Reactions: JTK
Provided the price was right, I would not have a problem keeping that tire strictly for spare tire use on my own vehicle.

I'd rather have a patched tire than a donut spare, but if you can exchange it for a not patched tire I'd do that instead

Reactions: JTK
The second pic looks like a hole that is possibly patched on the inside and the third looks like a sidewall patch
They are all the same tire. My biggest gripe is that it wasn’t plugged. Which means it’s already rusting…. Five years from now when I actually may need it, it may be no good..

Send it back. The seller got it for free because a professional decided that hole was too close to the shoulder.

At a minimum it will make his life more difficult and he may consider getting out of the used tire business which will do all of us a favor.

Now if it was your tire, and your bad luck, it'd be your call.

Huh. You did not mention the brand but anyway I’m proceeding with tires like oil , oil 1 year ( because I did not drive much) and tires 5 year especially summer ones . Driving fast at the highway. Mid range new tires. I’m always laughing when I see expensive S class Mercedes with Chinese tires.

Yes ...... but isnt the 3rd pic a sidewall plug ?
It has to be a patch only. All three pictures are the same puncture. That’s the point, they could very easily have plugged it. Wondering if reaming the hole out for a plug would have caused too much damage to the belts.

Back