Would you change oil before a LONG trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would change it. Not because it needs it, but because I wouldn't want to think about it. Nice long trip, a chance to relax, who wants to be watching their odometer worrying about going too far on their OCI?

I change my mind, change it. It was on your mind enough to post a question about it. Peace of mind my friend.
grin2.gif

I change oil before long trips if I think I am going to go 10 to 15 % past my normal oci. I usually do 10k on my vehicles but every car is different and long trips for me are in the 7k mile range. I don't want to have to change oil on the road. I think going past oci once is not a big deal.

I did almost exactly that a few years ago. The oil monitor on my Accord was showing 30% remaining life when I started off on a 3000 - 4000 Km (1900 - 2500 mile) trip. The OLM tripped over to 20% almost immediately. When I got home it was 5%. [The oil monitor is to be read as less than xx% remaining.]

The OLM on my Accord appears to adjust the distance interval for long trips. The longest interval ever included a 4000 km (2500 mile) trip.

I operate similar to BeerCan. If the end of my expected trip miles would put me more than 10% over my normal OCI, I'd change it. Of course, where I live most of my pre-trip miles are city driving, so that factors into my decision as well.

The other thing that changing the oil does is it helps me with a 'vehicle prep' mindset. While I'm changing the oil I'm checking all the other fluids. I may or may not grease the chassis. I'll get under it and check everything out. I'll look at all the belts and hoses. Basically it's a great time to do the typical annual inspection stuff.

A lot of folks say that they have 100% confidence in their vehicle maintenance, so there's no need for them to go to that effort. However stuff happens, and it's a royal pain to break down on the side of the road. Here in Alaska there are still many areas where there's no cell service, and breaking down can literally be life-threatening.

I'd get rid of it...... And the filter. What's it's going to cost? $25 and 15 minutes. Not enough to worry about, that's for sure. And you're starting off on a long trip with nice clean oil and a filter.

Originally Posted by billt460
I'd get rid of it...... And the filter. What's it's going to cost? $25 and 15 minutes. Not enough to worry about, that's for sure. And you're starting off on a long trip with nice clean oil and a filter.

So logical its scary.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by billt460

So logical its scary.

thumbsup2.gif

you are on this forum so everyone here already knows you over think the oil. also everyone knows you are going to change it before the trip, even though we all know that oil and situation could easily go past 10k OCI and still go a few more thousand miles with no problem at all. also know you will worry about oil level at every fuel stop and have to check that dipstick just in case it is using some so you can top off.

even more unnecessary worry if you don't do the change yourself and have to worry if the filter is to tight or loose, did they leave the gasket on the block? did they use bulk oil? was it the right weight? all these questions when you could just leave it until you get back knowing its been just fine for 5K miles.

oh and have fun on your trip.

I just went on an 800 mile round trip in my Oldsmobile (1976 350 v8) with 3k miles and 4 months of mainly short city trips to work (5 miles round trip I think). Oil was due to be changed but I left it for the trip as the highway driving was much easier on the oil. I will change it next weekend though. I need to finally do a uoa to check how much fuel dilution I'm getting with the short trips and carb.

Leave it alone. Lots of misguided fear on this board on a 7500 mile OCI with a fine full synthetic oil like PP. This oil should be easy for 7,500 miles, unless it is turbo engine. The 2,500 added miles are all easy highway miles. Maybe you should do an UOA when you change the oil after your trip so you can put that fear to rest.

Are you going to agonize over not changing it? Answer would be the same as to change or not

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
2015 Forester, non-turbo, ~38K on the odometer. Current fill is PP 5w-30 with close to 5K miles. My scheduled oil change is mid-Oct, but before that, we will be making 2500 miles trip over a week. Would you recommend to change the oil before the trip? Next fill is going to be Miles Lubricants Syn 0w-20.
Thanks in advance.

Ever done a UOA??

If not, then IMO go conservative, change it and have one done so you'll know for sure next time. If so, base your decision on the UOA.

You could also see UOAs from similar vehicles and make a guesstimate.

All that said - it'll probably be fine without the change since 7500 miles is easy for any synthetic in most engines.

* mods - quoted first post since on page 2.

Last edited:
Let's look at the specifics...

Penn Plat oil, 5w-30 - This can easily go 10,000 miles in a non-turbo (as a rule, there are of course exceptions)
Non-turbo engine
2500 mile road trip over a week.. no towing, at least half highway, and the rest country roads.. this should be easy on the oil and engine.

In my mind, you've got plenty of life left on that oil, and the trip is not going to tax it, so I'd keep it in. Even at the end of that trip, you'll still be only around 7,500 miles, which to me is a good target. 7,500 miles also happens to be my standard target OCI, and I drive in what is typically considered a 'severe duty' environment.

Leave it in.

Originally Posted by Arctic388
you are on this forum so everyone here already knows you over think the oil. also everyone knows you are going to change it before the trip, even though we all know that oil and situation could easily go past 10k OCI and still go a few more thousand miles with no problem at all. also know you will worry about oil level at every fuel stop and have to check that dipstick just in case it is using some so you can top off.

even more unnecessary worry if you don't do the change yourself and have to worry if the filter is to tight or loose, did they leave the gasket on the block? did they use bulk oil? was it the right weight? all these questions when you could just leave it until you get back knowing its been just fine for 5K miles.

oh and have fun on your trip.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by CheezWhiz
I would change it. Not because it needs it, but because I wouldn't want to think about it. Nice long trip, a chance to relax, who wants to be watching their odometer worrying about going too far on their OCI?

This.

Originally Posted by buster
I change my mind, change it. It was on your mind enough to post a question about it. Peace of mind my friend.
grin2.gif

And this.

The oil will be fine, but i always like the feeling of a fresh new oil on the pan when doing a long trip.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
2015 Forester, non-turbo, ~38K on the odometer. .

How was that accumulated? Lots of short tripping? Change it. Mix or mostly Highway? Leave it in.

Originally Posted by Bud
I don't think it is necessary, but if it were me I would change it.

Same here. I'd change oil and filter at 5K for peace of mind. Always.
Do it yourself and feel good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back