Would you change oil before a LONG trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! rather have fresh oil and filter than diluted and dirty oil, plus 5K is my OCI so it's a no brainer
cheers3.gif

No. Pennzoil Platinum is solid oil, and 7 - 8k miles should be perfectly fine. Plus, those highway miles are the easiest miles for your engine oil ...

... Unless fuel dilution is a concern, but you are already running a 30 grade, so you have a bit of a safety net in case the oil is getting thinner from gasoline dilution.

If your Subaru is still under warranty, change the oil. Obviously your current oil fill can go longer than 5K miles. But despite most of the comments here, since the 2015 Subarus (I had a 2015 Outback) call for 6K oil change intervals using 0w-20 oil, I'd change it before your trip. You could be 2-3K over by the time you return home.

Not necessary as 5k miles is no sweat to a synthetic oil
You could change it upon return if you wanted
Many synthetics go 10K miles and that is from manufacturer of the new vehicles

Originally Posted by buster
I change my mind, change it. It was on your mind enough to post a question about it. Peace of mind my friend.
grin2.gif

05.gif

Peace of mind is a wonderful thing

No, my experience with that oil is that its good for that long, with short trips being the bulk of the miles. A 2500 mile trip will be the easiest part of the oil life.

I would change the oil, less for the peace of mind (but there is that too) than that you should get higher fuel economy with the 0W-20... not a lot higher, but enough to justify bumping up the change interval 2 months.

No turbo? Mostly highway on the trip? You should leave it be and change on your regular schedule with the extra 2,500 miles. If you decide to do a UOA when you change it in OCT, I have a feeling you'll be (pleasantly) surprised by the results.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by billt460
I'd get rid of it...... And the filter. What's it's going to cost? $25 and 15 minutes. Not enough to worry about, that's for sure. And you're starting off on a long trip with nice clean oil and a filter.

So logical its scary.

+1ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
2015 Forester, non-turbo, ~38K on the odometer. Current fill is PP 5w-30 with close to 5K miles. My scheduled oil change is mid-Oct, but before that, we will be making 2500 miles trip over a week. Would you recommend to change the oil before the trip? Next fill is going to be Miles Lubricants Syn 0w-20.
Thanks in advance.

Oil changes, especially if you do it yourself, are cheap and take 30 - 45 mins. I would jack the car up , put some new oil in and a fresh oil filter. Besides, if you have lots of stop and go sightseeing or other stuff going on during the trip, the oil will take a harder hit (street driving, stop and go etc). Just change it. Enjoy the trip and stay safe. Upload pics if you see anything cool.

Another way of thinking in my mind, if could go 50/50. Longer trips allow for longer ocis. Either add the miles to this oci or change it and you can go a bit longer on the next one because you started out with a long trip.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by billt460
I'd get rid of it...... And the filter. What's it's going to cost? $25 and 15 minutes. Not enough to worry about, that's for sure. And you're starting off on a long trip with nice clean oil and a filter.

So logical its scary.

+1ðŸ‘

+2

Non-turbo with low miles on the clock? Wouldn't worry about it, especially with highway miles. [censored], I just did a 1.2k highway trip with my car ('14 Fusion, 2.5L non-Ecoboost) at 109k and 5k on the last VWB OC. Changed it when I got back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back