Would you buy this car?

I'm with you there. I drove in a buddy's for a week and hated how far out the front bumper sticks when trying to peek out onto a busy road from a stop sign. Add the suspension traction issues, and they're just not even close to as good as the 2000-2004 Outbacks, which are some of the most solid and best handling Outbacks ever made. Besides HG issues of course. LOL I see those model years EVERYWHERE in my area (near Seattle).

I like the generation before this and the generation after this.

The long snout seems to be a Subaru thing. My Forester definitely has a long snout. But the engine is located entirely infront of the front axle; the front of the transmission (behind bellhousing) is where the front differential is located so there's a lot going on up front!

If it was me, and I drove on icy or snowy roads, then it would be a HARD PASS! After the early 2000's model of Outbacks, I think starting in 2005, the suspension dynamics on slippery surfaces at any speed over 30, can likely result in the rear of the vehicle walking left and right, and will even try to send the car into a spin in worse cases. Some people have minimized the issue with suspension parts, but it's inherent in many of those "newer" Subaru's. Don't expect the ride-on-rails-at-50MPH-on-Ice feel that Subaru got a reputation for in the past.

If not driving in snow and ice, then they are great cars, besides the inevitable head gasket job coming later. :)

The best Subarus ever made for snow and ice were the old 4WD push button systems that acted more like a truck than a car. Besides the lack of traction control, they were unstoppable with decent tires as long as things weren't too deep. I hated having to swap back and forth on those though, as they have the same issue of binding the drivetrain on wet and dry spots between ice and snow.
I owned a 2004 outback ll bean limited and none of that describes it's performance on ice and snow. I don't know and will not speak to later models performance. I never owned a better vehicle in winter driving and I've owned a few over the last 40 plus years.

I owned a 2004 outback ll bean limited and none of that describes it's performance on ice and snow. I don't know and will not speak to later models performance. I never owned a better vehicle in winter driving and I've owned a few over the last 40 plus years.
The 2004 is one of the good years. It went to hell on the 2005my. Yes, the 2004 Outback is by far one of the best winter cars ever built. I've driven just about every major model type of Subaru from early-80's to 2006 model years. The 2000-2004 outbacks are the overall best Subarus ever made in terms of comfort and go-anywhere ability.

For dry and wet roads, a late 90's Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SOHC, with light suspension mods and good tires, has never been surpassed in terms of handling, even though power is nothing compared to the 2.5 turbo models. There's a reason the Impreza 22b is one of the most highly regarded handling Subarus of all time. The 2.5 RS was basically a lower-powered 22b with suspension modding. For Panzer-like ice and snow ability, the old Justy, Brat, etc are tough to beat. For speed, the 2.5L Turbo models are the clear winners, but seem to have porked up too much and lost the magical handling of earlier Impreza models.

I like the generation before this and the generation after this.

The long snout seems to be a Subaru thing. My Forester definitely has a long snout. But the engine is located entirely infront of the front axle; the front of the transmission (behind bellhousing) is where the front differential is located so there's a lot going on up front!
I'm liking the 00-04.

I like the generation before it too.

The 2004 is one of the good years. It went to hell on the 2005my. Yes, the 2004 Outback is by far one of the best winter cars ever built. I've driven just about every major model type of Subaru from early-80's to 2006 model years. The 2000-2004 outbacks are the overall best Subarus ever made in terms of comfort and go-anywhere ability.

For dry and wet roads, a late 90's Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS SOHC, with light suspension mods and good tires, has never been surpassed in terms of handling, even though power is nothing compared to the 2.5 turbo models. There's a reason the Impreza 22b is one of the most highly regarded handling Subarus of all time. The 2.5 RS was basically a lower-powered 22b with suspension modding. For Panzer-like ice and snow ability, the old Justy, Brat, etc are tough to beat. For speed, the 2.5L Turbo models are the clear winners, but seem to have porked up too much and lost the magical handling of earlier Impreza models.
I did not know that. WOW. I know I've driven that 2004 up and down some very, very slick roads.

My brother had this exact Subaru. He drove it to Mexico from Wisconsin a few times. Never asked him why, maybe he just liked warm weather. He bought a Mercury Monarch (called it his Monaroach) to replace and offered it to me. ATT I was too busy trying to keep my 128 Fiat running to want another strange car. Not my finest decision.

1608332006843.png

Last edited:
that low center of gravity and flat boxer engines gives a new meaning to " straightening the curves"😁😁
there's actually a pretty sharp curve that I can take basically as fast as I want because it's an off-ramp and I've taken it at a speed that I thought for sure was going to make the tires chirp.

They never made a sound and the car really surprised me.

it also let me know that some kind of turbo engine would be great for blasting out of the curves.

That’s a good buy if it checks out mechanical wise. Subaru’s have been as solid as any other brand

Back