Would you buy this car?

The Subaru, lol.

2008 Outback L.L. Bean... I love it..

IMG_20201218_093701381_HDR.jpg

I would not, personally.
Please expound on this?

I can't afford it ($4800) but wow is it a bright shiny object and mine is borderline POS status although I do like the car, it just has to work now.

Pew a scoobie doo. I learned hate when I rode in the early 1970 something brat they were trendy and have had friends with various models and have driven them, I have never liked anything about them.

How many miles?
Those Subarus all seem to grow leaky and rattly.
They're OK (I guess) but you can't ever ignore the old saying, "A machine is only as good as the maintenance it receives".

A 1995 Legacy LS wagon was the only new car I ever purchased. It had the 2.2l engine. It ran like a watch.
Then Subaru "bored it out" to 2.5l and trouble began. They're often in bad shape.
If I got any of that wrong, forgive me.

No. Lots of employees have these here in the Gold Country.

They turn into leakers and head gasket problems.

I've heard a little more bad than good about Subaru engines to ever consider one. I realize car forms are the place everyone goes to lodge their complaints, but I've heard more bad about them than most other makes, and it's always the same 2 issues. Head gaskets, and oil consumption leading to the 'big bang'. Admire it from a distance.

What engine? How many miles? Has it been a rust belt vehicle it's whole life?

FWIW, my brother had a 2007 with the turbo 2.5. He bought it well used and needing work that he did himself.

I bought Subaru because it was being sold at a cheap price, and I wanted to check out the "Big Four." Actually bought my present Subie as a birthday present to myself. Never did consider the possibility that Subarus suck.

They are asking $4800 for it . I'm $1000 into my present one now so.. not sure I can do anything about that Blue Subie (which is probably an EZ30R not a Turbo 2.5 EJ255/257 as it is an L.L. Bean) and I like that too.. shoot.

No idea what the classic car next to it is. Not if it is even for sale. It may be.

They have a Blue Datsun 280Z with a lot of stuff inside it in the lot across the street. Looks like it has been there for some time. The interior maybe gutted ? Not sure.

If it was me, and I drove on icy or snowy roads, then it would be a HARD PASS! After the early 2000's model of Outbacks, I think starting in 2005, the suspension dynamics on slippery surfaces at any speed over 30, can likely result in the rear of the vehicle walking left and right, and will even try to send the car into a spin in worse cases. Some people have minimized the issue with suspension parts, but it's inherent in many of those "newer" Subaru's. Don't expect the ride-on-rails-at-50MPH-on-Ice feel that Subaru got a reputation for in the past.

If not driving in snow and ice, then they are great cars, besides the inevitable head gasket job coming later. :)

The best Subarus ever made for snow and ice were the old 4WD push button systems that acted more like a truck than a car. Besides the lack of traction control, they were unstoppable with decent tires as long as things weren't too deep. I hated having to swap back and forth on those though, as they have the same issue of binding the drivetrain on wet and dry spots between ice and snow.

If you're only $1000 into yours, I'd keep at it. Personally I never cared for that specific generation of Outback.

Are you still changing out the 2.5 for a 2.0L engine?
I'm with you there. I drove in a buddy's for a week and hated how far out the front bumper sticks when trying to peek out onto a busy road from a stop sign. Add the suspension traction issues, and they're just not even close to as good as the 2000-2004 Outbacks, which are some of the most solid and best handling Outbacks ever made. Besides HG issues of course. LOL I see those model years EVERYWHERE in my area (near Seattle).

If you're only $1000 into yours, I'd keep at it. Personally I never cared for that specific generation of Outback.

Are you still changing out the 2.5 for a 2.0L engine?
Yes.

I mean... Dude, I got a 45k engine with some kind of a warranty for a grand total of about 800 bucks.

Back