Would you buy an '07 Prius w/ 200K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 5K and transporting my kids, I'd be looking at Chrysler minivans.
A high-miles Prius has some appeal, but there are too many unknown unknowns, to steal a phrase.
A newish Chrysler minivan would be a significant upgrade over an old Nissan truck and would likely offer better fuel economy.
A Chrysler minivan has a depreciation curve resembling a face of Everest, while a Prius has one as flat as Nebraska.
High depreciation is your friend when used car shopping.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Lease another one, sometimes you have to help family out. Or buy a questionable older car and get the calls when it won't start, and you now have to fix it or pay someone else.

I forgot she drives so much, any way to reduce that? Racking up lots of miles is expensive any way you cut it.

If she's driving that many miles, she should be able to afford it. That's just personal economics 101, living within your means.

That being said, my money is Grandma has a nice little stash of cash should she ever need a new vehicle.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Unfortunately, high depreciation brings along other undesirable friends.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Unfortunately, high depreciation brings along other undesirable friends.

Yes and no.
A ten year old high-buck German car will bring but a small fraction of its price new because the ownership costs can be so high.
With your basic high-volume vehicle, everything that might ever need replacement can be found growing on trees at decent prices.
I'd seriously consider a used Chrysler minivan, although the Dodge Caravan can be had so cheaply brand new that it would be worth a look as well.

Prius is a big transition.

She will probably adapt to the pushbutton proximety key fairly well, but the other systems are going to be completely foreign.

It doesn't have a PRNDL pattern gear selector. Radio and HVAC controls are going to be different than an old Nissan truck too.
The engine will seldom start when you push the button.

I wonder how many 1st time Prius drivers just kept mashing the start/stop button over and over again because it wouldn't "start". Just that "READY" Light keeps turning on and off.

My 67 year old mom had a hard time figuring out her 2015 Chrysler 200 rental. She drove delivery trucks for 20 years prior. She could work the pedals and steering wheel just fine. It was everything else that bewildered her. The controls were just that much different than her 2004 Heritage F-150

The hybrid battery on my wife's Prius failed at 90xxx miles, just within the warranty for a 2006. The inverter pump failed long before that, also warranty. The ABS controller failed outside warranty, not hybrid specific but the dealer quoted something like $1800 to replace it. We bought a used one on eBay for $1xx and had it installed by a local(ish) shop that had done it before for another $3xx. Otherwise it has been good, it is currently around 130K miles. Seems to be hard on tires, or maybe it is my wife's driving...

Doug

Originally Posted By: dhise
We've got 233k on our '05 prius with the original battery. I'm hoping to get 300k out of it. Personally, If a deal like yours came up locally for me I would be very tempted to jump on it. Ours has been a great car and has given us serious monthly savings in the gasoline budget.

Originally Posted By: dvancleve
The hybrid battery on my wife's Prius failed at 90xxx miles, just within the warranty for a 2006.

yup, hybrid or electric batteries are no match for the AZ sun. nissan leaf owners found it the hard way (massive depreciation). at least you got yours fixed for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back