Would you buy an '07 Prius w/ 200K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are looking for a replacement car for Grandma. The key is that it needs to be reliable and low maintenance and needs to be able to carry my kids fairly regularly. She currently drives a 300K mile nissan truck which has been extremely reliable, needing only a couple alternators and a few sensors over the last 240K miles that we have had it - still the OE clutch! She drives about 100 miles a day, mixed highway and town, no real city. She has some arthritis issues and wants something that is easier to drive and automatic. I want something that is reliable, low cost to operate and safe for my kids.

Our budget is ~$5K and we have been looking at all the usual suspects, but I am leary of getting a 15 year old car (which is what we can get in south Florida) which may be less reliable than the 300K pickup.

A guy in our neighborhood is selling his 200K mile '07 Prius which has a newish Toyota battery, still under warranty. He has all the maintenance records (from the dealership).

Logic would tell me that this would not be a good car for Grandma (that I would have to maintain), but on the other hand I have heard that Prius' are extremely reliable.

The other options are ~15 year old 100K mile CamCord.

I kinda like the idea! It was used as it was supposed to have been used, and we expect she won't put a ton of miles on it so its wear from age will eventually match and complement its initial long distance duty.

it would make me nervous. Im not saying its a bad car, obviously its a Honda. I would want the car inspected in detail and a big fat thumbs up from the inspection before I would pull the trigger..

But this is all me, I get a bit antsy after 100,000 and im a BITOG'er...

Get her a 2008-2009 Honda Civic with 100k and do a once over with fluids, brakes and tires plus a new battery. My daughter still has her 2009 with 95k on it and it has all the dings from college but it is rock solid mechanically and is very reliable.

She likes to drive, 100 miles a day is x2 what I drive. Tough decision, I would probably go with a Toyota Camry because of the kids.

Also how rusty are these vehicles? Being Florida, I would be more concerned with corrosion rusting out a brake line.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
it would make me nervous. Im not saying its a bad car, obviously its a Honda.

Yeah, Honda Prius would make me nervous as well.
smile.gif

I'd do a little cruising on the prius forums to see what's the expected engine and trans life. I recall some prii like to burn oil excessively later in life, but I don't know which years.
Maybe get a Prius expert mechanic to go over it? Who knows, it may have all the diagnostic info stored to tell you the electric motor is running at 70% of new output? Or the speed controller is generating a lot of heat now?
For the Camcord, option, my Dad had a 1999 Accord that was flawless up to near 200k miles. They might be best for the KISS option as they are no mystery to any mechanic.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
it would make me nervous. Im not saying its a bad car, obviously its a Honda.

Yeah, Honda Prius would make me nervous as well.
smile.gif

OOPS... lmao

If it has all the maintenance records and you can get it cheap take it on a nice intensive test drive until you feel confident with bringing it to a quick lube and putting it in the air to take a good look underneath.

If there is no rust, and the brake lines all look good, and there isn't any damage, I say buy it.

In taxi service in California the Prius is proving to be completely reliable.

Somewhere around 200K is right on schedule for a main battery. In non taxi service it is sometimes being replaced in warranty. And if not you can shop for the best price.

In fact the only complaint I'm hearing from owner/operators is the frequent failure of headlights and learning the little trick to replace them.

Also, there is no fan belt or serpentine belt on the gas engine driving accessories. That makes maintenance just that much less complicated and reduces the chance of getting stranded when such a belt fails.

These Prius taxis get driven hard. A popular oil is Mobil 1 10W-30 changed on a schedule of 10-15K miles with NAPA oil filters.

They are putting a minimum of about 100K miles a year, driven hard and they are experiencing very little in unplanned maintenance other than accidents. A common problem is tearing off the under body plastic tray. They don't last long going in and out of driveways in a hurry.

Since the transmissions are not a CVT but a planetary gearbox with no reverse gear, no shifting and no internal friction or sliding parts they are as close to bullet proof as you can get. Taxi drivers can't even break them. (hint-reverse is on the electric motor)

For the task described above I'd buy that Prius in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Get her a 2008-2009 Honda Civic with 100k ...

Show me where those sell for $5k and myself and many others will jump on them.

There's a good chance that Prius will go to 300k with little required... but who knows for sure

Ask the current owner if you can change the oil.
Run a UOA on it, if it comes back with normal wear, go for it.

Not much else to go wrong, train locomotives have been in service running motor generator units for 50+ years...

Last edited:
it all depends on asking price.
i would be weary about buying a hybrid with 200,000 miles and near 10 years, as this usually means weak and/or near dead HV battery. but if HV battery was recently replaced and in good shape, this could be a deal.

I would not pay 5K for any car with 200K miles on it. If I had to pick, I'd say just keep driving the truck. Otherwise I'd pick the Camry if it's the 4 cylinder engine. Those are cheap and easy to fix. I like cheap and easy.

it would make me nervous. Im not saying its a bad car, obviously its a Honda. I would want the car inspected in detail and a big fat thumbs up from the inspection before I would pull the trigger..

But this is all me, I get a bit antsy after 100,000 and im a BITOG'er...
It's a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I would not pay 5K for any car with 200K miles on it. If I had to pick, I'd say just keep driving the truck. Otherwise I'd pick the Camry if it's the 4 cylinder engine. Those are cheap and easy to fix. I like cheap and easy.

+1 A ton of aftermarket parts. Broken outside door handle replacement , for example, 18 bucks delivered PAINTED in the OEM color.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Doog
Get her a 2008-2009 Honda Civic with 100k ...

Show me where those sell for $5k and myself and many others will jump on them.

There's a good chance that Prius will go to 300k with little required... but who knows for sure

Put me down for a couple of those 6-7 year old Civics for $5K.
I have a few friends interested as well.

I hope there was not a typo. Your grandmother drives 100 miles a day or did you mean a week?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back