Would you buy a car knowing it was in an accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping a friend buy a car right now. AutoCheck reports that the car struck a utility pole in Wisconsin 2 years ago, but the car looks and drives just fine. In fact, the car is in outstanding shape and has a stellar service/repair record. I checked it thoroughly and there's no evidence of an accident. It's a BMW so I suspect the person didn't get a lousy repair job...

It's also still under factory warranty, too (2011 model year).

Would you buy a car if you knew it had been in an accident? I'm torn on the issue because every car I've ever owned was supposedly never in one...or if any were, the repairs were so good I couldn't tell. There's no reason a good body shop can't get the car back to the same condition it was in before. My gut says to walk away, but it's a good bargaining chip.

I would definitely buy a car that was known to be in an accident in one of these situations:
-planning to rip the powertrain out and use it in something else
-the car is meant to be used as a winter beater and I have another nicer car
-the damage has not yet been repaired and I am certain that it is not going to cause problems later

Edit:
The repair shop where I work does wholesale wheel alignments for a few body shops. Of the common car makes, it's the BMWs more than any other that almost never get repaired properly. On the up side, some of them can be very botched and still perform well enough that most drivers wouldn't notice a problem for many years of normal driving.

Last edited:
The price would have to be adjusted accordingly because when it's time to sell it, the next buyer will look at AutoCheck, see the accident, and will want to buy it for less.

For me it would depend on if the accident caused a salvage title to be put on the VIN, along with just how much of a discount under value it's being sold. I also read and hear that salvage titles don't necessarily have to follow the vehicle form state to state, in other words re-register the vehicle in a different with a non-salvage title; not sure if AutoCheck/CarFax checks for this. Striking a utility pole, that'd have to be damage to either the front or rear likely, perhaps it was just a bumper cover and bumper support along with some paint, and no frame damage, but I'd be extra OCD and thoroughly check those areas out.

Depending on the accident, yes.

If it was an accident that only did light body damage then sure.

And as the previous poster said, it would affect the price I was willing to pay.

Originally Posted By: ChrisW
For me it would depend on if the accident caused a salvage title to be put on the VIN, along with just how much of a discount under value it's being sold. I also read and hear that salvage titles don't necessarily have to follow the vehicle form state to state, in other words re-register the vehicle in a different with a non-salvage title; not sure if AutoCheck/CarFax checks for this. Striking a utility pole, that'd have to be damage to either the front or rear likely, perhaps it was just a bumper cover and bumper support along with some paint, and no frame damage, but I'd be extra OCD and thoroughly check those areas out.

It has a clean title. The car was registered in IL its whole life, but had the accident in WI.

The WI state laws say something to the effect of "accident report must be filed if the damage to public property exceeds $250"...which isn't much. I have the report # but unfortunately the law also says I don't have permission to view it.

Depends on the damage. If it was just sheet metal damage, then I would most definitely buy it, if the price was right.

Another thought: if the dealer thought the damage was too extensive, wouldn't they have just auctioned it/wholesaled it? It's at a BMW dealer (the same one it was originally sold at)

Can the dealer certify that the frame wasn't bent/repaired? If they can't certify it, will they allow you to do a PPO at another dealer/shop that could verify it? Not sure if you want to incur that extra expense...

One of the best used cars we ever had was our '97 Accord.
It had been in an accident causing driver's side damage, and I only knew this because I found the paperwork from the place that repaired it in the glovebox. This car had lots pf paperwork in the glovebox, including the paperwork from the dealer that delivered it new (Imke Honda North in Columbus).
Anyway, a six year old Accord LX coupe 5spd with 64K for 5995.00 seemed like a deal, so I bought it.
I drove the car 70K and my older son drove the car another 70K+.
It is now at 207K, so I guess it was a wise purchase.

I would and have bought repaired vehicles, never had a issue...The Marauder I just resold was one, had a tree fall on it in '08, damaging the hood, top and busting the windshield, no big deal for me... New owner knows history and is fine with it...

The car did have a rebuilt IL title but when I registered it, VA left that little bit of info off the title... Still info will always be on a Car Fax...

It depends on whether the unibody frame/suspension was not affected by the accident...check the tires for uneven wear...and for a straight running car...

If the accident happened a while back and has been running okay since, that would make it okay with me...

If it's just skin damage and check for any APPARENT difference in paint between pre/post accident. If the door shell was replaced check for rust along the seams...and that you hear a nice THUD when shut, indicating that the sound absorbing foam was affixed to the inside of the shell. (From experience I can say that this can be remedied by but it would be nice if you didn't have to.)

Finally....ask a body shop and indie mechanic for confirmation of its integrity.

...oh, and make sure you know where on the car the damage actually was....CarFax had it wrong on my Kitacam.

Last edited:
Be careful on states totalled laws. My 99 Lumina was totalled in Illinois. Was sent to Ga or Ala by insurance company, bought by bodyshop, retitled as normal non-totalled car and sent out somewhere with a clean title. Nice racket.

My point is that the car has always been titled in IL so there's no funny business there, and it has been driven nearly 2 years and 12k since the accident.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Helping a friend buy a car right now. AutoCheck reports that the car struck a utility pole in Wisconsin 2 years ago, but the car looks and drives just fine. In fact, the car is in outstanding shape and has a stellar service/repair record. I checked it thoroughly and there's no evidence of an accident. It's a BMW so I suspect the person didn't get a lousy repair job...

It's also still under factory warranty, too (2011 model year).

Would you buy a car if you knew it had been in an accident? I'm torn on the issue because every car I've ever owned was supposedly never in one...or if any were, the repairs were so good I couldn't tell. There's no reason a good body shop can't get the car back to the same condition it was in before. My gut says to walk away, but it's a good bargaining chip.

Follow you gut. RUN, don't walk away! It would be mighty rare for any car to be
repaired to the same condition after hitting a pole.

I'm with the pass group on this car. Here's why. Cars today have a lot of plastic parts and computer parts. The car slides into a power pole and takes a major impact. Sheet metal damage and frame repair look great, but what about all those plastic parts and expensive computer parts that are encased in plastic. Who can say if they have a little crack somewhere that the repair shop either didn't see or judged small enough not to worry about at this point in time? Over time, those cracks get bigger and bigger. Computer parts that were sealed when new are not exposed to the elements and begin to take a beating from weather, road salts, dust, etc. It might be a great deal or look like it's brand new, but I would strongly recommend passing on this car and finding one that is accident free.

They are never the same. If it were an old car, the paint may be an improvement if done really well. But your run of the mill lowest bidder approach I wouldnt trust.

Good points on all fronts. I agree that sheet metal is relatively easy to repair and look as good as new, but sometimes hidden damage may not appear for a while. Yes, you can get a warranty, but it would still be a potential hassle down the road.

I'll advise her to keep looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back