Would seeing Valvoline Instant on a carfax deter you from buying?

Spotted a VW with a 2.5L and manual, link. Other than a high price, should the fact that Valvoline did their coolant flush deter me from bothering to look at it? It wasn't long ago but I'm wondering if I'd wind up doing an immediate coolant flush. Amongst all other fluids and who knows what else.

Wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't done at all since quick lubes do it all the time. They likely used the universal green coolant that mixes with everything. It's probably fine. Change it again if you do get it.

If it gave me pause, it'd depend on what service they performed.
A slob managing a Valvoline place near me said "there was no difference among transmission fluids".

It's funny, people want to avoid dealership rip-offs but likely don't know enough about vehicle maintenance to confer with their neighbors as to which indies to use.

Would you rather the Carfax show NO maintenance records at all? Even if it was done DIY?
Hard to say. I know mixing incompatible coolants can lead to problems. So this likely needs to have a full flush to get the all makes, all models junk out.

On one hand, service records look good. On the other hand, speedy lubes means I'm going to find a drain bolt stripped out / over torqued, if it's not a metal canister filter then the plastic cap is over-torqued, any bellypan long gone and who knows what other butchery done. It's a complete roll of the dice. Toss in driving an hour just to look at it and it's quite a deterrent to bothering.

You should expect to replace all the fluids and filters on any newly acquired used car over 5 years old as well as perform routine maintenance. Spark plugs, belts, brake pads and rotors, timing belt if equipped, valve adjustment, etc. Or find a car from someone like me that does all that stuff before selling it. Of course it's going to cost more, but still not as much as if you took it to a shop AFTER buying it.

Depends on the price. I’d do a comprehensive flush more than once to get that junk out and the right stuff in.

Hard to say. I know mixing incompatible coolants can lead to problems. So this likely needs to have a full flush to get the all makes, all models junk out.

On one hand, service records look good. On the other hand, speedy lubes means I'm going to find a drain bolt stripped out / over torqued, if it's not a metal canister filter then the plastic cap is over-torqued, any bellypan long gone and who knows what other butchery done. It's a complete roll of the dice. Toss in driving an hour just to look at it and it's quite a deterrent to bothering.

The service records look good which is more than you might find on a lot of used cars for sale. On the other hand you obviously hate all things “speedy lubes.”

As for your comments in italics above, I can guarantee that more than one auto dealership service department in this country is not only capable of doing poor work, they have actually achieved that low level of “quality.”

There are numerous BITOG threads that lays bare to that fact.

The 16 years of rust would deter me more.

I think you're over-thinking this car shopping. Paralysis of analysis. Hoping that there's something on the computer (including this forum!) that will give you a thumbs up or thumbs down.

My MIL drove Buicks and Oldsmobiles her whole life, now has a Mexican built Jetta 1.4 turbo. Shrug. The combo of an enthusiast 5-speed and iffy-lube maintenance is an odd duck but, hey, there aren't that many beaters out there. It could be an old-lady car.

I looked through the Carfax on the car. It looks like its been maintained fairly well. I like that there are so many service records which shows that the previous owners actually cared about getting it maintained. I would be more concerned about the 2 accidents.

How are you going to know unless you look at it, it could have had 10 years of meticulous dealer service, but owned by a chain smoker or or dog lover. Mechanically great but you can't stand the smell.

Hoping that there's something on the computer (including this forum!) that will give you a thumbs up or thumbs down.
Yeah, the last time I asked about a VW with a 2.5L, the consensus was "nope", high mile VW's are a no-go. This one seemed lower but TBH I'd rather they had left the OEM coolant alone and then I did a flush, rather than have some shop do it poorly. More risk, but... more risk.

As for your comments in italics above, I can guarantee that more than one auto dealership service department in this country is not only capable of doing poor work, they have actually achieved that low level of “quality.”
Yep, last time couple of times I used the dealership I wasn't too happy. I got a key fob with no key cut (ok, different dealer took care of that) and several years before I had warranty work done--which left me with overtightened bolts and a stripped lugnut. I avoid dealers and most shops altogether, I'm pretty capable of doing poorly done work myself (and often do). I do use a local shop now for stuff I can't do, but dread when our hybrid needs something--then again, it's out of warranty, so maybe I shouldn't.

Not particularly. The VIOC in my town has a good reputation. The only downside to them is they’re 3x the cost of a dealership oil change.

Every car that I ever bought with more than 100k miles I went into it knowing that I will be replacing all the fluids. Coolant, oil, brake fluid, ps fluid etc. I also replace all the coolant hoses and thermostat as well. Spark plugs and wires were also changed. Brakes were gone over and if needed replaced. It did not matter if the seller told me that this stuff has already been done. Did them anyway. Piece of mind is worth way more than a few dollars saved

Don

Back