Would like opinions on oils for my 515whp Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony, given all of the folks running RT6 in Subaru's, I'm sure the TDT would work well in your modified LGT. I have a friend with a 400whp LGT that runs Motul X-clean 5W-30 during the winter. He just lets it warm up for 10 minutes before driving it and runs short intervals.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: jagger
I read on a another forum that German Castrol 0W30 works well in a supra motor.

That's an old oil and there are far better choices nowadays.

I noticed new Nissan GTR's ask for mobil 1 5w40 (with how anal nissan is about that cars engine assembly etc makes me think it could be a good choice) I was thinking of going with either this or mobil 1 15x50.

Any opinions on which oil to go with or where I can find either would be great. I can't find either the few times I have looked. .

TIA,
Anthony

not sure why but i can not edit my last post right now

Should say GTR recommended oil is M! 0W40 .

If my edit button shows up again later I will edit the previous post and delete this one.

i can edit this post but not my previous very strange

TIA,
Anthony

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ama0787
not sure why but i can not edit my last post right now

Should say GTR recommended oil is M! 0W40 .

If my edit button shows up again later I will edit the previous post and delete this one.

i can edit this post but not my previous very strange

TIA,
Anthony

Don't worry it won't ever show up again, the one you just posted will be gone in a few minutes... Apparently administration here on BITOG is paranoid someone will have second thoughts or maybe retract a statement...

M1 0W-40 is a good choice for many boosted engines, I use it in my Marauder...

Where are you guys finding it? Walmart here does not which seems where most get m1..... Does napa? I have a distribution warehouse near me so if napa carries i guess they would have it.

I got the last I bought on sale at Advance, but the local Wally Worlds stock it as well...

Yes cold pavement alon basically stops the power from getting to the ground right around 65 degrees I lose all hope of traction but I do like to run the car at least a couple times a month so it doesn't sit to much

Thanks for the advise. Do you like the 5w40 for my daily subaru which is also modified around 400awhp

Do you strictly use m1?

Iassume that 33lbs of boost is e85 or higher than pump octane fuel. Am I correct?

TIA,
Anthony

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, we had never heard of E85. However, our lowly race team, with 2.3L turbo Mustang did reside in the paddock next to the F1 teams at the Detroit Grand Prix. We learned about a Toluene blend as a turbo fuel. Today, there is all sorts of urban legend with Toluene, but as a turbo engine developer, we were in the loop and know/knew how to make it work.

I am able to run as much boost as I want, within mechanical limits on a 93 octane and industrial Toluene blend. The more boost, the more Toluene. Heat is also required, as it does not vaporize well.

Yes, 5W-40 is really an ideal viscosity. Many synthetic versions are quite robust.

No, I am not a M1 exclusive guy. I simply find that M1 is commonly available and, with the proper choice, can be made to work as well as much more expensive products. I also use Redline products regularly, BelRay for the bikes, and occasionally Amsoil products.

It really is hard to beat the $25, five quarts M1 and a M1 filter "deal" at Vatozone!

Last edited:
Honda published an SAE paper in the late '80's describing the toluene fuel blends they used in their F1 turbo engine. Very interesting.

Mobil 1 5W-50 could be the answer if you are worried about cold starts... Hard to find but a very good oil and similar performance characteristics of the M1 15-50.

I'd be inclined to stick to the OE Toyota V160 Oil, part number 08885-01306. Yes it is stupidly expensive. You could look at an equivalent like Royal Purple Synchromax I guess.
As for the diff, with that sort of power you'd want some 80w140 in there for added protection. RedLine make some very good 80w140.

cujet,

What about the m1 5-40 standard vs the m1-40 TDT?

Seems like most people like the TDT what is your opinion?

Also I heard the m1 15-50 formula has changed recently and is not as good as in past any truth to this? Heard the same about m1 0-40 all the oils mentioned are the ones I am considering going to in both the suby and supra

TIA,
Anthony

Last edited:
Sxe10,

I do stick with it but it is castle ATM fluid. I was told by the largest tranny builder of v160 in the us to go with amsoil ATM fluid with the red letters there are also lots using the sun do ax that you mentioned on the suora forums but I have no problems with my transmission so far with v160 so I guess I'll stick with it but I bet there are better newer ATM fluids that should be used

cujet,

What about the m1 5-40 standard vs the m1-40 TDT?

Seems like most people like the TDT what is your opinion?

Also I heard the m1 15-50 formula has changed recently and is not as good as in past any truth to this? Heard the same about m1 0-40 all the oils mentioned are the ones I am considering going to in both the suby and supra

TIA,
Anthony

There might be a kernel of truth to the M1 15W-50 "quality" issue. However, that does not change the fact that it's a stunningly good oil by comparison to the typical oils available today. It's still my "go to" oil for turbo projects. In fact, I'm not at all convinced that the slight reduction in ZDDP matters at all. It's still at "max" levels.

I will say this, a few years ago, there was an EP version of the 15W-50. That version was not able to maintain as high a "hot" oil pressure in my turbo car as the oil "red cap" 15W or the 20W-50 M1 V-Twin motorcycle oil. Not that it meant anything. The engine lasted nearly forever!

The M1 5W-40 TDT has also changed, with less calcium, more magnesium and so on. Still an incredibly robust oil, on par with the 15W-50.

Last edited:
I have run both in my Cummins Dodge, and like RT6 better. I just completed a 2700-mile tow to and from Florida and did not use any oil that I could measure reliably. TDT never gave that kind of consumption, even when towing a lighter trailer.

RT6 has higher HTHS, higher VI, and higher ZDDP content, and is always a dollar cheaper when I compare prices at my local Meijer. It doesn't matter to me that RT6 is based on Grp3. Shell's XHVI base stocks are excellent. Looking at the lower VI of TDT, I suspect it also has a lot of Grp3 in it.

Last edited:
For turbocharged gasoline engines, I generally recommend Redline oils, but the direction of the thread had gotten down to the Original Poster wanting a readily available oil with good low temperature flow so he could get through the winter. It didn't sound to me as though the engine was going to get a lot of hard running, trying to put 500HP down in the snow. RT6 can do that. M1 0w40 can do that also, and has even better cold flow properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back