Would it be reasonable to assume, based on these photos, that Mobil1 filters are garbage?

Okay so I don't post much but I read a fair amount and appreciate y'all's community. Though ngl it is a ittle overwhelming at times haha.

Anyway so I have an 09 328i (n52) with hella miles. I originally started out using the OEM Mann filters for obvious reasons, then I switched to the Wix XP one as it seemed really well put together, with the metal mesh and such. Then I read stuff and from I gather they were actually not great as they don't filter as well due to being designed for long intervals? I only have used LiquiMoly 5w40 (first the one with the long name starting in L, then Molygen since it came out) - I know it's not a favorite on here but anyways, I'm on a ~5k miles OCI (again, go longer you say? maybe but whatever this works for me and there is too much info to manage), so I thought maybe XP isn't the best choice. And now didn't Mann get bought out or something? Or they moved production somewhere? My memory is not great but I remember their being some issue with one brand or another. (For the record the one in photo is made in Germany, not that it pertains to this post in any way shape or form).

So recently I've had this weird thing where I like to try different ones that are considered 'good'. In the pics I'll attach you'll see Mann, Hengst, Fram XG10075 (which I only bought because it seemed to get praised here), and a new Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 is actually the only one I bought that wasn't frequently recommended from people online, but it was on sale at a local store and Mobil 1 seems reputable so I was like okay whatever I'll grab a couple.

To get to the point (sorry for length), I tried the Mobil 1, and after only like 500 (five hundred, not thousand) miles it looked collapsed/deformed, which at first I though didn't matter too much for some reason, but upon doing some reading I gathered it was, indeed, not good so I swapped it out for a Mann. The Mann has remained normal shape a couple thousand miles later now. I left the deformed Mobil 1 sitting around for awhile before I got to properly inspecting it, but when I did I realized there was a hole in it? Even I know that is catastrophically bad.

So here's a bunch of pics, of the busted filter, and of the others I have for comparison (so illustrate that it wasn't the wrong size, height is idential on all of them). Curious what people think? I don't really feel comfortable using the new one I have left after this, guess I'll just throw it out and avoid forever going forward?

Oh and if relevant the car had 243,000km when I bought it, and now has 383,000km. I'm lazy to do the conversion this time but it's somehere in the 200s for miles. And it doesn't burn oil. If I drive fairly peacefully it wi.l be down a quarter to half quart by the end of (my) oil interval, maybe like 3/4 if I'm really beating on it. (So not even at the point where I need to add, but I keep it topped up still.) It takes like 6.5L (6.7 quarts-ish?) so plenty in there.

20240605_122905.jpg

20240605_122858.jpg

20240605_123058.jpg

20240605_122815.jpg

20240605_122809.jpg

20240605_122704.jpg

20240605_122556.jpg

20240605_122544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The one you have certainly looks bad and it was good of you to check when you did. 500 miles of semi unfiltered oil is probably not going to do much if any damage. I personally do not go out of my way to buy M1 filters, they are made by someone else and if I recall the someone else is always cheaper.

Okay so I don't post much but I read a fair amount and appreciate y'all's community. Though ngl it is a ittle overwhelming at times haha.

Anyway so I have an 09 328i (n52) with hella miles. I originally started out using the OEM Mann filters for obvious reasons, then I switched to the Wix XP one as it seemed really well put together, with the metal mesh and such. Then I read stuff and from I gather they were actually not great as they don't filter as well due to being designed for long intervals? I only have used LiquiMoly 5w40 (first the one with the long name starting in L, then Molygen since it came out) - I know it's not a favorite on here but anyways, I'm on a ~5k miles OCI (again, go longer you say? maybe but whatever this works for me and there is too much info to manage), so I thought maybe XP isn't the best choice. And now didn't Mann get bought out or something? Or they moved production somewhere? My memory is not great but I remember their being some issue with one brand or another. (For the record the one in photo is made in Germany, not that it pertains to this post in any way shape or form).

So recently I've had this weird thing where I like to try different ones that are considered 'good'. In the pics I'll attach you'll see Mann, Hengst, Fram XG10075 (which I only bought because it seemed to get praised here), and a new Mobil 1. The Mobil 1 is actually the only one I bought that wasn't frequently recommended from people online, but it was on sale at a local store and Mobil 1 seems reputable so I was like okay whatever I'll grab a couple.

To get to the point (sorry for length), I tried the Mobil 1, and after only like 500 (five hundred, not thousand) miles it looked collapsed/deformed, which at first I though didn't matter too much for some reason, but upon doing some reading I gathered it was, indeed, not good so I swapped it out for a Mann. The Mann has remained normal shape a couple thousand miles later now. I left the deformed Mobil 1 sitting around for awhile before I got to properly inspecting it, but when I did I realized there was a hole in it? Even I know that is catastrophically bad.

So here's a bunch of pics, of the busted filter, and of the others I have for comparison (so illustrate that it wasn't the wrong size, height is idential on all of them). Curious what people think? I don't really feel comfortable using the new one I have left after this, guess I'll just throw it out and avoid forever going forward?

Oh and if relevant the car had 243,000km when I bought it, and now has 383,000km. I'm lazy to do the conversion this time but it's somehere in the 200s for miles. And it doesn't burn oil. If I drive fairly peacefully it wi.l be down a quarter to half quart by the end of (my) oil interval, maybe like 3/4 if I'm really beating on it. (So not even at the point where I need to add, but I keep it topped up still.) It takes like 6.5L (6.7 quarts-ish?) so plenty in there.

View attachment 223244

View attachment 223245

View attachment 223246

View attachment 223247

View attachment 223248

View attachment 223249

View attachment 223250

View attachment 223251
This is a common problem with cartridge filters in general. Why they can’t remanufature a filter to fit every time , I don’t know. OEM should be the right fit. Sometimes you just gotta find out what aftermarket fits if ya don’t want to go the OEM route. The super techs do well in wife’s Grand caravan. Man filters do well in our old ford fusion.

This is a common problem with cartridge filters in general. Why they can’t remanufature a filter to fit every time , I don’t know. OEM should be the right fit. Sometimes you just gotta find out what aftermarket fits if ya don’t want to go the OEM route. The super techs do well in wife’s Grand caravan. Man filters do well in our old ford fusion.
Having taken a second look at your photos,it looks like the M1 is actually not longer but shorter than the others. So it didn’t twist do to being to long or tall, whatever.

Last edited:
@push_whips can you put a straight edge against the top of all of the filters? I'm curious if the Mobil 1 filter is taller, causing it to crush and deform upon installation.

I've seen reports of Mann filters also getting deformed like that, allegedly due to too much restriction in cold temperatures. Apparently Mahle filters worked fine. I've had my own issues with Mann but I find that hard to believe seeing how Mann is OE, and shouldn't the bypass open if the filter is too restrictive?

OE on your N52 is same as my X3 N52. OE (that's who makes it for BMW) is MANN, $8.69 @ FCPEURO. OEM (doesn't make this filter for BMW but does make other parts for them) is Mahle & Hengst. That with OE, IMO

View attachment 223244

View attachment 223245

View attachment 223246

View attachment 223247

View attachment 223248

View attachment 223249

View attachment 223250

View attachment 223251
Wow! I've run a bunch of older M1 cartridge filters in my Jeeps and have never seen an issue, at all. No tears, and not much twisting, which Pentastars love to do to filters. UOA's came out well, too.

How new is that filter?

Back