Two Mobil oil filters C&P M1-301A and M1-104A

Long time reader, but first time posting. So I bought a filter cutter and decided to cut both my recent filters open. The M1-104A is from our 2015 Sonata, 3,500 miles, and looks good. The M1-301A is from my 318 and is complete junk.... Luckily I only had 500 miles on this filter but I'm still pretty pissed, and this will be the last Mobil filter I buy. Edit_ to add: That is the seam that is split open. There was sort of glued, but no metal clamp like the other one.

IMG_7859.jpg
IMG_7860.jpg

IMG_7853.jpg
IMG_7857.jpg
IMG_7852.jpg

Last edited:
Don’t blame you. That’s a nasty rip in the media. Unfortunately lot of the M1 filters have looked iffy as of late.

What is the 318?

I might suggest seeking out either a Fram Synthetic Endurance or any of the Premium Guard Extended Life filters (Carquest Premium, NAPA Gold or MicroGard Select).

Don’t blame you. That’s a nasty rip in the media. Unfortunately lot of the M1 filters have looked iffy as of late.

What is the 318?

I might suggest seeking out either a Fram Synthetic Endurance or any of the Premium Guard Extended Life filters (Carquest Premium, NAPA Gold or MicroGard Select).
Added to the original post, the rip is the seam they didn't connect together...

1968 Dodge Charger

Can you provide where both filters were made? Yeah, send an email to them. Even if they do nothing at least they'll know how Quality control is if they're keeping notes.

Long time reader, but first time posting. So I bought a filter cutter and decided to cut both my recent filters open. The M1-104A is from our 2015 Sonata, 3,500 miles, and looks good. The M1-301A is from my 318 and is complete junk.... Luckily I only had 500 miles on this filter but I'm still pretty pissed, and this will be the last Mobil filter I buy. Edit_ to add: That is the seam that is split open. There was sort of glued, but no metal clamp like the other one.

View attachment 216496View attachment 216497

View attachment 216494 View attachment 216493View attachment 216495

Sorry to see a tear like that. What oil and filters went in and on? I Thank You

Can you provide where both filters were made? Yeah, send an email to them. Even if they do nothing at least they'll know how Quality control is if they're keeping notes.

Both filters say made in USA

Sorry to see a tear like that. What oil and filters went in and on? I Thank You

Quaker State full synthetic 5W-30 and M1-301A filter. 1968 Dodge Charger 318, standard oil pump. Very easy use, babied driving to and from car events.

Purolator style base plates & date codes indicate lovely Mann & Hummel construction... "Seams" like anyone but Champ & Premium Guard have issues with private label oil filters!

Yeah I've been using the m-107 on my truck and Oldsmobile. Not anymore. Other than that I use Fram ultras. Maybe I'll go back to wix. That's what I used to use when I worked for an auto parts giant that owned a Goodyear store. I could order whatever Wix I wanted.

Purolator style base plates & date codes indicate lovely Mann & Hummel construction... "Seams" like anyone but Champ & Premium Guard have issues with private label oil filters!
I've said for many years that a Purolator Boss's "Smart Fusion" & other M&H reinforced wire/polymer backed media filters, like Wix XP, are the way to go if you want virtually zero chance of tearing. M&H do make good filters but they are the higher priced tiers that many don't want or can't afford. These Mobil branded filters are showing to be one of the worst options from them though I agree & with Mobil's higher cost probably priced around the same as a reinforced media filter would be.

Last edited:
Both filters say made in USA
Thanks for those details. I was expecting elsewhere but that just shows it doesn't really matter all that much for this brand. 500 miles is better than 5,000 or longer though so glad to hear it was caught fairly early in it's application.

No metal crimp seam is a "cheapening" move on a "premium" filter.

Yeah I've been using the m-107 on my truck and Oldsmobile. Not anymore. Other than that I use Fram ultras. Maybe I'll go back to wix. That's what I used to use when I worked for an auto parts giant that owned a Goodyear store. I could order whatever Wix I wanted.
Wix has been cheapened as well their premium options starting late 2023 batches are not true synthetic media anymore.

MOBIL1 and Wix are zombie brands from the trend of bad assembly quality and cheapend media. Looks like anything from Rock + Catcher these days have a filtration efficiency of a tennis rack.

Back