Would anyone here be interested in my Reatta?

Try Bring a Trailer, Cars and Bids or Ebay.
That's 100% my plan come spring time.

what is special about your Reatta? I see 22 for sale on hemmings.
"Special" is a relative term. Of the 22 for sale on Hemmings, only 2 are 1991 models like mine. The '91 models had several major improvements: 3800 S1 engine, 4T60-e transmission, Bosch ABS with vacuum assist vs. Teves electro-hydraulic.

My particular car is 1 of 53 made in 1991 with a bright red exterior and bright red interior. Torch red was a '91 only interior color.

Being a rust-free California car with under 100k original miles doesn't hurt value, either.

true.

How about pictures of the digital center console in action, or better yet, a video!

That feature was only on the '88 and '89 models, my '91 has a regular radio and climate control setup, but does have a pseudo-analog style digital instrument cluster that works perfectly.

Just a heads up, "asking for feelers" isn't a great way to sell a car. It's implying that you'll sell it for an overpriced price but otherwise you'll sit on it. In other words you're selling it, but it's so good, at the same time, you're buying it back.

Whatever your price is, act like it's the most distressing thing to ever happen to you, and the buyer has you over a barrel, LOL.

Good Luck!

You're right, but I have no intention of asking an insane price. I'd like to get $3k for the car as it sits right now.

Bingo. I have a harsher opinion, feelers think they have something valuable but are insecure and unsure of the value and tries to pry it from others. Lazy, and tacky.

I'm neither insecure or unsure of the value of the car. It was less about being lazy and more about seeing if a fellow member and car lover here would even have a faint interest regardless of price.

As for why I'm interested in selling now after the short "honeymoon": life happened. When I bought the car, it was with the intent to save it from wasting away or being chopped up. I have a soft spot for weird cars such as these. I loved getting her back up and running and now it's time to find something more in line with what my girlfriend and I would be comfortable cruising in. I'm hoping to find a nice mid to late 70's GM full-size vehicle as our next summer cruiser.

Last edited:
I will have to research who the initial demographic for the Reatta was. General Motors does a lot of surveying and sampling before finalizing design and selling any vehicle. The classic example was the T-Top's they used back in the day. A large underserved demographic of disco music enthusiast's filled a niche and GM profited. The Reatta is probably the same. Cowboy's who have never ridden a horse, Dude's in black leather......

I will have to research who the initial demographic for the Reatta was. General Motors does a lot of surveying and sampling before finalizing design and selling any vehicle. The classic example was the T-Top's they used back in the day. A large underserved demographic of disco music enthusiast's filled a niche and GM profited. The Reatta is probably the same. Cowboy's who have never ridden a horse, Dude's in black leather......
When it sold new, I knew of two sets of owners who had one. First was older retired rich couple that had it as their weekend getaway vehicle to their second house on the shore. Second owner was middle age Tammy Faye Baker looking lady that was a prominent real estate agent of higher end properties that used it as her client showing vehicle. They were the typical Buick clientele of that time and it fit them both well.

Vehicle for the time was pretty bleeding edge for GM as far as interior aesthetics.

When it sold new, I knew of two sets of owners who had one. First was older retired rich couple that had it as their weekend getaway vehicle to their second house on the shore. Second owner was middle age Tammy Faye Baker looking lady that was a prominent real estate agent of higher end properties that used it as her client showing vehicle. They were the typical Buick clientele of that time and it fit them both well.

Vehicle for the time was pretty bleeding edge for GM as far as interior aesthetics.
I was just having some fun. My boss had a last year Camaro Indy edition with T-tops. I used to tell him the demographic story and he would become angry.

Just a heads up, "asking for feelers" isn't a great way to sell a car.
Asking ones buddies on an oil board what they think a vehicle is worth is bad? Am I missing something?
It's implying that you'll sell it for an overpriced price but otherwise you'll sit on it.
Won't everybody on Earth sell something for an overpriced price and reserve the option to not sell? Again, am I missing something?
In other words you're selling it, but it's so good, at the same time, you're buying it back.
Wha.....?

Seriously, your posts are great but this example has me stumped on many levels.

images(1901).jpg
images(1900).jpg
2Q==(187).jpg

For other people like me, who don't know what a Reatta is, a few pics.

Until now, never heard of a Reatta.
Looked it up, cool car.

When I was a kid my dad brought home a Reatta brochure after a trip to car browsing....back when dealers stocked real brochures, lol!

Stared at the brochure everywhere in the house for days afterwards.

If I had the garage space and got a grasp of the needs of a genuinely old car, I'd get a Reatta.

Not as a collectible, but as a summer driver to grab with ice cream w/the kids and LARP like it's 1989!

These cars where never sold in enough volume to be profitable-
4,708 examples were produced the first year; 7009 examples were sold the second year. 1990 was the car's highest year of sales, with 8,515 examples produced. 2132 were convertibles and 6,383 were coupes. The final year of production saw only 1,519 examples produced with 305 units being convertible.

There was a Buick dealership in an old, large Quonset hut styled building once common in northern NJ.
It was there I sat in an Opel GT years before the Reatta was imagined.

The Reatta's interior screamed cheap plastic. It was vile. The car did not strike me as desirable in any way.
The salesman said Buick made it to get people into the showroom.

And even in the 80's, Buick had the stigma of being "an older folks' car."

GM was trying to use the Reatta (and its cousin the Oldsmobile Trofeo) as a halo car to get Buick cross-shopped with a 325i and 5-series.
And Audi IIRC the articles from the period. Using a FWD, automatic only, shared platform w/ the interior Kira noted...says a lot about the times at GM. But hey, you get an owners manual with a cool pen!

That was an interesting time in the industry with the Germans overall hitting full stride, BMW especially with Audi really rising, and the Japanese debuting Lexus and Acura and the Domestics responded with these and others like the ghastly Chrysler TC. Such a wasted opportunity for the Big 3.

Last edited:
Back