Would a newer double pane window save energy vs 20 year old double pane?

I've probably been on hundreds of home inspections. When the springs are weak, that never seems to come up as an issue. Basically they're just checking to see that they open and close smoothly. If they're double hung windows, check to make sure that the window is properly in the spring. Sometimes one side is off so you've only got half the spring working. The springs are trickier to replace. If you look at the top of the window, sometimes there's a sticker inside that tells you who made the window and maybe you can contact them to get a new spring. But yeah, you're probably out of luck if the spring is bad, lots of companies don't stick around for 15-20 years to get parts from later.

They definitely do not open and close smoothly - its a bunch of springs banging around and the window hanging up every 3-4 inches. Not double hung either. I think these were probably the $250 special back in 2000.

As another real estate agent and a Condo owner who just replaced his windows with double pane storm resistant windows.. If your windows operate well and aren't leaking then save the money. I only changed mine because the windows were defective and leaking water all into the walls causing mold. The benefit of new windows is energy savings from heat and sound reduction, as well as humidity being reduced from a better seal. But I only noticed all the benefits because my original windows were utter garbage and the company actually went bankrupt from their faulty product. The window cost is outrageous and the install for my condo was so easy if I knew I would have done it myself.

As another real estate agent and a Condo owner who just replaced his windows with double pane storm resistant windows.. If your windows operate well and aren't leaking then save the money. I only changed mine because the windows were defective and leaking water all into the walls causing mold. The benefit of new windows is energy savings from heat and sound reduction, as well as humidity being reduced from a better seal. But I only noticed all the benefits because my original windows were utter garbage and the company actually went bankrupt from their faulty product. The window cost is outrageous and the install for my condo was so easy if I knew I would have done it myself.
How much did you pay for the install and the windows?

If the seals are fine, not worth it, also living in Atlanta I would be more concerned with Summer cooling costs?
If so, having the windows tinted with 3M night vision 35 might be far more desirable.
and it filters the UV.
Our home was new 14 years ago, had all the west facing windows in the back of our house tinted, which is the equal of 10 double hung= 20 panels plus one all glass door and two 6 feet by 6 foot solid glass windows.
Only two of the double hung windows have blinds and drapes in one room, the others are uncovered and our great room ceiling is 16 feet high with windows up there and sun really lights up the room, 14 years later I’m still amazed the film is still 100% good, no discoloration and most importantly the furniture has not been faded by the sun.
I know, hard to believe but what we were told when getting it installed turned out true for 3M film.
I wouldnt be surprised if it helped cut noise at least a little but I doubt as much as triple pane.. I guess ?
BTW - a lot of double pane window seals are damaged by power washing the home or building. The water hits the window with such force it causes it to flex and break the seals, never power wash windows 🙃

“Double pane“ is not all the same. Goes from garbage to high end. For sound order 1/4 and 3/16 panes with the best gas and other options. The two different thicknesses block/cancel sound vibrations better, besides 1/4 is pretty thick all by itself. I paid extra for all tempered glass too. But in your case you are selling so “ double pane” will still be in the flyer and most people think they are all the same. No problem to fix in your case. A better window will just be given to the buyer for free they dont care what you spent.

Back