Worst quality name brand conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol GTX is my least favorite oil.

It is a varnish causing oil that struggles in a 6,000km OCI on a Cobalt.

Your money is much better spent on Pennzoil products.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: SR5
My vote goes to vanilla Castrol.

Their HM oils are slightly thicker (Still prefer Pennzoil HM though) and I like their 0w's (Can never seem to find them cheaper than M1), but that pretty much sums it up for me.

I quite like GTX
http://www.pqiadata.org/CastrolGTX10W40.html

Moly 85 ppm, Boron 166 ppm, Noack 11%, TBN 7.3
That looks fine to me.

I would use it worry free, but considering I can get PYB for the same price with what I would consider a more stout chemistry, I see it somewhat pointless.

Yes, I see your point

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd
...what would be the least robust conventional of the major brands like Castrol, Mobil Super 5000, QS Green Bottle, PYB, Havoline, Valvoline etc.

I would consider none of them marginal and all of them essentially interchangeable. I'd use any of them without hesitation, and actually have used three of them a lot over the years.

There isn't a bad major brand, and most of your house brand oils are formulated by good companies like Warren Performance Products and Amalie, so even Super Tech and CARQUEST oils are perfectly good and acceptable.

Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give you mine.
VWB and GTX are probably not as good as QSB, PYB or MS.
Havoline is generally well regarded.
This is strictly my opinion and I have used Valvoline and Castrol conventionals with no concerns at all and would do so again.
I'm not sure that you could ever quantify any difference in performance in the oils that you've named and it might be that for a given use pattern and OCI, GTX or VWB would be the best oil available.
Anyway, how would we define best or worst?
Cleanest or lowest wear?
The two are somewhat mutually exclusive.

The best is (fill in the blank) because you believe it will prolong the life of your engine. The worst is (fill in the blank) because you believe it will shorten the life of your engine.

Originally Posted By: SR5
My vote goes to vanilla Castrol.

Their HM oils are slightly thicker (Still prefer Pennzoil HM though) and I like their 0w's (Can never seem to find them cheaper than M1), but that pretty much sums it up for me.

I quite like GTX
http://www.pqiadata.org/CastrolGTX10W40.html

Moly 85 ppm, Boron 166 ppm, Noack 11%, TBN 7.3
That looks fine to me.

I would use it worry free, but considering I can get PYB for the same price with what I would consider a more stout chemistry, I see it somewhat pointless.

PYB sure does look like the winner in VOA conventional wars and likewise I chose it too and was considering GTX going back to conventional recently. While Platinum and Ultra have their benefits, it seems PYB is such a strong choice that I have yet to talk myself into moving up unless I went to two year OCIs and I'm way too OCD for that.

well..... using my 2 high mileage vehicles, the Jeep and The Hyundai , The hyundai has been on a steady diet of QSGB I used castrol a couple times( was on big sale) and the car used 2-3 qts in a 5K OCI Switched back to QSGB,,, the car would use no oil between changes and it still does not use oil , The Jeep with a 5.2 chewed up castrol to the tune of 2 qts in 3k and I said STOP >> ENOUGH IS ENOUGH , I NOW HAVE A BIG STASH OF QSGB for those 2 units and they both are happy campers while away to school with my kids. Now this is just my experience but I have had great results with QSGB
beer3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back