Worst quality name brand conventional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what everyone's opinion/expertise is on what would be the least robust conventional of the major brands like Castrol, Mobil Super 5000, QS Green Bottle, PYB, Havoline, Valvoline etc. I know they're all going to meet the spec on the bottle, but which is most marginal when it comes to cleaning, extended drains, or protection?

Any off-brand no-name oil at the Dollar Store.

Major brands with the latest certification should be OK for most applications.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Amsoil

They only make synthetics.
wink.gif

I know VWB has a pretty weak package compared to SOPUS products. But I would say Motosel is at the bottom of the barrel. Stuff is just garbage.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Amsoil

They only make synthetics.
wink.gif

I know VWB has a pretty weak package compared to SOPUS products. But I would say Motosel is at the bottom of the barrel. Stuff is just garbage.

VWB is a top tier conventional and beats most oil in UOA wear metal production. There are lots of additives that don't show up in a blackstone report.

Last edited:
i run my daily driver on the cheapest 10w40 synthetic blend i can find which is my local auto parts store's own brand, no problems so far, there is a list somewhere of oils you should really avoid at all cost though

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
..there is a list somewhere of oils..

Yeh!That's the sort of definitive data point WE LIKE.

All the name brands make a good product that strongly pass all the test requirements of SN & GF-5. They have a reputation to protect, so they don't risk it on a product that only just scrapes past the tests.

The smaller brands are in a few different camps. Some also do very well, while others are built to a price and wouldn't be my first pick. Best to look at the data and PQIA is a good source when they test an oil.

For example, look at two 5W-30 mineral oils on PQIA, QSGB and STP. Both of these are, IMO, typical examples. I have seen both better and worse.

The STP has a TBN of 6.8 and a noack volatility of 15% (right on the limit), while the QSGB has a TBN of 7.9 and a volatility of 11.4%. I know which one would be my first pick. I like high TBN and low volatility.

http://www.pqiadata.org/STP5W30.html
http://www.pqiadata.org/QuakerState5W30712015.html

My vote goes to vanilla Castrol.

Their HM oils are slightly thicker (Still prefer Pennzoil HM though) and I like their 0w's (Can never seem to find them cheaper than M1), but that pretty much sums it up for me.

For all of the debate and controversy on this forum, the difference between the "worst" API SN approved conventional oil and the "best" is minor. If it meets the API standards, it's not going to be junk oil.

It could be said to be same answer as the "best" oil (any spec'd oil changed regularly)....in this case....

Any brand oil of the extremely wrong weight and left in the engine too long (past "0" on the OLM) or allowed to drop below the lower fill mark on the dipstick...

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Their HM oils are slightly thicker (Still prefer Pennzoil HM though) and I like their 0w's (Can never seem to find them cheaper than M1), but that pretty much sums it up for me.

I quite like GTX
http://www.pqiadata.org/CastrolGTX10W40.html

Moly 85 ppm, Boron 166 ppm, Noack 11%, TBN 7.3
That looks fine to me.

Coastal oil got busted ten years back for putting 10w30 in 5w30 bottles. They supplied autozone's generic brand at the time too.

A blender could put their house wine in dozens of bottles, some with deliberately ghetto typefacing sold in dollar stores to lead "savvy" customers to think it was trash when it could be the same as supertech etc. If it doesn't make the PQIA "bad boy" list it's tolerable.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I quite like GTX
http://www.pqiadata.org/CastrolGTX10W40.html

Moly 85 ppm, Boron 166 ppm, Noack 11%, TBN 7.3
That looks fine to me.

I would use it worry free, but considering I can get PYB for the same price with what I would consider a more stout chemistry, I see it somewhat pointless.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
..there is a list somewhere of oils..

Yeh!That's the sort of definitive data point WE LIKE.
Does Mobil publish the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back