Schaeffer’s vs Big name EP oils

Yeah I'm using HPL in our daily transportation. I still have Schaeffer's in the Mustang. If I get it out this summer, I plan to change it over to HPL.

I'm still using Royal Purple HPS in the lawn tractor 😃
I like Shaeffer's for the additive pack. I dont like to pay $22 shipping. So I been using Mobil 1 off the shelf. Got a box of HPL I am ready to try very soon.

How well do big name Extended Protection oils (Valvoline EP, Castrol EP) etc, and “premium” boutique oils like Schaeffer stack up to one another?

The EP oils are supposed to be the top tier of their respective brands having supposedly more additives and better base stocks to be able to go the distance of longer oil change intervals. Premium boutique oils like Schaeffers & HPL are without a doubt highly respected for the materials they use.

All situations being equal, what would be the benefit of one over the other? Besides the price.

I went with Valvoline EP this time around in my Ram Rebel because I wanted to start using a more stout product. I do a spring/fall OCI. It will never see more than 5kish miles in a 6 month time frame. I looked at Schaeffers and HPL but it would be more than twice the price. In the grand scheme of things an xtra $100 a year isn’t gonna break the bank but it got me asking the question of is it worth it?

Not starting a war here, just looking for honest opinions.
I often wonder the same thing and to be honest, if I were driving an old school engine that went 100k on Dino oil I really wouldn't worry. But now we're talking timing chain wear, cam-phasers, carbon buildup, injector fouling and yes, crank bearings wear. (I have a 2.4 GDI) as well. I don't think it's worth paying big bucks for Shaeffers or even Amsoil because, at this price point, I think it's on them to PROVE that the uptick in price is worth buying their product. Let's face it, we do have independent labs that tell us what rating the respective oil meets, ex. SP,
ILSAC GF-6. Even the Extended protection oils are starting to get bothersome with their claims (3x stronger). I say, start putting REAL data on the label or on the product sheet instead of all this smoke-and-mirrors crap. Other threads on this website talk about additives and such and tbh, I shouldn't need to do hours of research to figure out that PEA is the only real working additive or whether Redline has (x) percent of PEA v. Gumout. It gets a bit nuts. I just read an article that stated the uselessness of anything but PEA on GDI engines.

Schaeffers is a fine oil,a bit pricey,,all the major oil companys have a EP or what ever premium engine oil that is fine for 7-8k,Amsoil is the only one i would trust in longer drain intervals, and end results in performance ,using a top oil filter is good to do in all applications

I learned this a long time ago, As long as you use the proper viscosity grade with the proper specification to your vehicle and don't go over the useful life of the lubricant, You will be good to go. I use Valvoline Synthetics at 5k intervals. 2 of my cars OLM are set to go off at 10k. We do a lot of short trip/stop and go, so 5k it is and I reset the OLM. No sludge that I can see from the fill hole. Most of my cars rust out and leave body debris behind while the engine and tranny still work like new.

I learned this a long time ago, As long as you use the proper viscosity grade with the proper specification to your vehicle and don't go over the useful life of the lubricant, You will be good to go. I use Valvoline Synthetics at 5k intervals. 2 of my cars OLM are set to go off at 10k. We do a lot of short trip/stop and go, so 5k it is and I reset the OLM. No sludge that I can see from the fill hole. Most of my cars rust out and leave body debris behind while the engine and tranny still work like new.
I agree 💯. It's just fun and peace of mind using good oils. Which any major brand off the shelf oil is good enough

How well do big name Extended Protection oils (Valvoline EP, Castrol EP) etc, and “premium” boutique oils like Schaeffer stack up to one another?

The EP oils are supposed to be the top tier of their respective brands having supposedly more additives and better base stocks to be able to go the distance of longer oil change intervals. Premium boutique oils like Schaeffers & HPL are without a doubt highly respected for the materials they use.

All situations being equal, what would be the benefit of one over the other? Besides the price.

I went with Valvoline EP this time around in my Ram Rebel because I wanted to start using a more stout product. I do a spring/fall OCI. It will never see more than 5kish miles in a 6 month time frame. I looked at Schaeffers and HPL but it would be more than twice the price. In the grand scheme of things an xtra $100 a year isn’t gonna break the bank but it got me asking the question of is it worth it?

Not starting a war here, just looking for honest opinions.
generally the cheapest oil that meets the specs is the smartest choice.. assuming you maintain the vehicle..

I only think the hi end custom products may have an advantage at the edge of the performance envelope.

100 bucks a year and you keep the vehicle ten years is 1000 dollars you could have spent on something else.

Back