Worst oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, so long as they passed API SM/ILSAC GF3 or GF4 specifications, there's no "worst" oil per se on the shelves of most automotive sections here in NA.

Oil not on sale
55.gif

Since no one seems to want to go out on a limb and offer an opinion, I will.

I think Coastal makes one of the worst API certified OTC oils. JMHO...

I have only anecdotal evidence to support that opinion, however.

Only lube shop I`ve ever seen that was worth a dam* was a shop one of my dad`s friends owns. He has no bulk tanks at all. Nothing but bottled oils. Every brand you can imagine. They ask you what oil you want when you go in. They even encourage you to go to the garage with them as they walk you through every step of the oil change while it`s being done. Shop owner is always there too either supervising the work or doing it himself.

OK OK
I get it now.
Cost vs deliverables...right.'
You guys are great with the dodging of the question type thing. My fault really, I should have been more clear. sorry'
Ok lets get real.
I was really wondering about the make up of the oils that are the worst. You know, oil you wouldn't put in your beater car. That type of thing.
i.e. lack of protection. Does it smell bad or go bad or lose viscosity quicker than other oils? Could it be a bad additive or something like that.
So with lack of availability or cost aside. What would be your pick.

I'll pass on bulk oil, and anything that is recycled, although I haven't seen any of that yet.

AD

Originally Posted By: mickeeand
OK OK
I get it now.
Cost vs deliverables...right.'
You guys are great with the dodging of the question type thing. My fault really, I should have been more clear. sorry'
Ok lets get real.
I was really wondering about the make up of the oils that are the worst. You know, oil you wouldn't put in your beater car. That type of thing.
i.e. lack of protection. Does it smell bad or go bad or lose viscosity quicker than other oils? Could it be a bad additive or something like that.
So with lack of availability or cost aside. What would be your pick.

IMO there is no BAD modern or SM rated oil.

As was said above, any oil receiving the API SM classification is going to be fine for most cars. Anything less than that will be less fine, all the way down to API SA oil you can still find at gas stations and auto parts stores.

My local supermarket sells a brand of oil called Saxon. Some of the blends on the shelves are API SA, says so right on the label. I wouldn't put that into any spark-ignited engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back