Worst car to change cabin filter on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From working at JL several years ago...early 2000s VWs and Audis were generally miserable. I remember Beetles, Jettas, and A4s being a major pain in the rear to access the filter on. That was not the only thing I hated about them either.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
2008 Honda Pilot. You have to undo screws that you cannot see, and the first time you change it you actually have to CUT apart and throw away a lower support on the dashboard.

The EASIET car is my Accord its in the glove. Two clips and pull out the tray, can literally do it with my eyes closed.

Latest Acura TL are the easiest. You open the glove box, remove the shelf and the filter is staring at you. You do not need to remove the glove box itself or even to drop it down. Compared to previous Honda models (e.g. Odyssey where you had to cut off factory brace to get to the filter) the new ones are ridiculously easy.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
GM W-cars Impala, Grand Prix etc from around -'00-'05 are pretty bad. You have to take a plastic panel off of the cowl under the hood. It's not so hard to do but it's easy for some to screw up the plastic cowling and have water leaks inside the cabin.

Very similar with the Equinoxs as well. It can be a PITA. I changed mine about 7 month ago and it wasnt properly seated and ended up being crushed looked terrible. Next time I am going with the Delco filter as the sides are plastic which will help it seat in the cowl.

Mb w140 has 3 charcoal filters. I changed one behind glove box. Other 2 were deply behing dashboard and under windshield wipers. It did filter air very good, it was a firt car where I did not need to wipe dust inside at all. It also filtered skunk smell very good if you pass some roadkill as soon as you activate all the filters

Last edited:
Any german car is difficult.

It took me a good 30 minutes to change an air filter for a 2004 Passat TDI because you have to remove some of the intake hose and heat shield to access it. Even with that stuff out of there the area is small making it very difficult to remove the air filter. Then you have to wiggle the new filter in there and work it so that it makes a tight seal.

Not sure about the location of the cabin air filter but it does involve removing some cowling...

The cabin air filter for my accent is much easier. All you do is drop the glove compartment down by removing some plastic tabs and a fishing wire and you have access to the blower motor, etc. and the filter slips right in. Engine air filter is also easier.

Last edited:
I must be living in the 60s still. Never heard of a cabin filter til 5 minutes ago, so I guess this job does not pertain to me most likely.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Several of the newer Nissan models are HANDS DOWN the worst! You have to remove the throttle/brake pedal assembly to get it out. In real time, it takes a mechanic over an hour to change the filter (IF you know what you are doing). Now tell me, how moronic is that?

I changed the filter on my fiancee's 2012 Nissan Rogue. I managed to squeeze the new one in without removing any pedals. The old one I just ripped out, since I was going to throw it out anyway. Still, it's a pretty poor design and a PITA.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Several of the newer Nissan models are HANDS DOWN the worst! You have to remove the throttle/brake pedal assembly to get it out. In real time, it takes a mechanic over an hour to change the filter (IF you know what you are doing). Now tell me, how moronic is that?

I changed the filter on my fiancee's 2012 Nissan Rogue. I managed to squeeze the new one in without removing any pedals. The old one I just ripped out, since I was going to throw it out anyway. Still, it's a pretty poor design and a PITA.

Are we talking about right hand drive models? Every single vehicle that has a cabin air filter, it is always on the passenger side. Nissan engineers had to be super genius (or really dumb!) to figure out how to squeeze in a filter under the steering column :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas

Are we talking about right hand drive models? Every single vehicle that has a cabin air filter, it is always on the passenger side. Nissan engineers had to be super genius (or really dumb!) to figure out how to squeeze in a filter under the steering column :)

No, it’s a left hand drive model. On the Rogue, the filter is located right in the center of the vehicle, right behind the center stack.

One of the worst designs I have seen. It looked like you had to ruin the new filter to install it. I would never know if it was fixed right. Until now, I kept think my honda odyssey 2001 was the most difficult. Atleast honda has fixed it in the newer models; My 2009 accord takes a minute to install.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

No, it’s a left hand drive model. On the Rogue, the filter is located right in the center of the vehicle, right behind the center stack.

1997-2001 Gen I Honda CRV - Bolts on left (console) side are extremely difficult to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back