VW oil change tips (air filter info too)

This is just an FYI for any VW owners who haven't attempted a change on their vehicles or anyone considering a VW purchase in the future.

My wife and I bought a 2006 Golf 2.0L SOHC 8 valve (BEV engine code) last September. It was "new" when we bought it with 500mi on the odometer. We got it for a steal (the price a used 2005 with 25K mi on the odo). The dealership was simply looking to unload it as quickly as possible becuase the Rabbits were out and had replaced the Golf in VWs lineup. It came with nearly all the bells and whistles... heated seats, sunroof, premium sound system, heated mirrors. The only thing it lacks is the 5 speed triptronic auto-trans. It only has the 4 speed.

Yesterday was the first oil change I attempted on the Golf having had the last 2 done at the dealership to the tune of $70.

First things first. The 2006 Golf we have is an odd-ball seeing as that production of the Golfs ceased midway through the 06 model year becuase of the introduction of the Rabbit. This means that the maintenance parts listed my not actually be what the vehicle is equipped with.

The biggest oddball is the oil filter. Searching online and in the parts stores will return one of two fliters. A cartridge based replacement and a spin on. Parts are listed incorrectly for this vehilce from all major filter manufacturers including Mann Hummel, Mahle, Purolator, and Wix. Wix is very confusing but attempts to cross reference OEM part numbers finally resulted in a correct filter for the vehilce. The vehicle uses a spin on filter. I went with the M1-205 as it was part of a oil/filter package deal at Advance Auto Parts.

Other correct part numbers for other filter suppliers include:
Mann - w719/30 oil, c 37 153 air
Wix - 51393 oil, 42472 air
Purolator - L20252 oil, air (don't have the number but they make a decent one for the car)

As for the acutal oil change you will need the following:
-ramps, a jack won't get the car high enough
-8mm allen wrench (socket type) for the oil plug
-torx bit to remove front undercarriage guard (can't remember the size but it is a common smaller size in all torx sets)
-new copper crush washer for plug

Oddities include:
-No maintenance proceedures are in the manual at all
-Car has a cabin air filter but no mention of it in the manual. It is located on the passenger side under the hood near the wipers. Remove 4 screws, pull up the rubber trim at the top of the engine compartment and pull out the filter cover. The filter is seated in a mounting cage that has two clips that front.

What really irriated me... the oil plug. Not only does it use a goofy sized allen wrench to remove it, but it has a permanent copper crush washer. What to I mean by permanent? The washer is somehow fitted at the factory that makes the plugs so that its inside diameter is smaller than the threads on the plug making it impossible to remove by just sliding or screwing it off the threads. My guess is that they use some sort of heating method to expand the copper gasket just enough to get it over the threads. VW expects you to buy a new plug costing anywere from 2 to $4 depending on the source at every oil change... and no parts store carries the proper plug.

The solution is simple. Go buy a pack of copper crush washers that will barely slip over the threads. Next take a side cutter, tin snips or whatever you have handy and attempt to cut the ring off. Since there isn't enough room to really get good cutting pressure on the crush washer you'll most likely end up doing what I did. Scoring the washer with the cutters and then using a pair of needle nose vice-grips to twist the washer back and forth at the scroe point until it breaks and then can be peeled off the plug.

Beyond these oddities, everything else about the oil change is "normal" proceedure.

As a side note, there are only two commonly available oils that meet the VW specs for use in this engine. Castrol Syntec 5w40 and Mobil 1 0w40. I chose the Mobil1 as it was part of a filter and oil package deal. You could probably get away with any decent A3 rated oil, but the Mobil1 and Castrol are specifically approved by VW. The approval among other things is based on the extended drain capability of the oil which in this engine calls for 10k mi changes. Other non-approved oils, I would be comfortable using at 5K mi OCI.

Last edited:
Welcome to the world of Volkswagen.

Mann/Hummel filter is W719/30 and sells for $6,00 on-line.
Mahle-Knecht filter is OC 264 and sells for $6,00 on-line.

Both are excellent filters and are OEM suppliers to VW.

OEM oil filter part number is 06a 115 561b
OEM air filter part number is 1J0 129 620
OEM cabin air filter p/number is 1H0 819 644b

A excellent place for vw parts is worldimpex dot com.

Last edited:
A new drain plug from the dealer MIGHT have a permanent STEEL washer. The one I purchased for my '00 GTI did.

I have a video on my youtube page showing how to change the cabin air filter. Just search youtube for wavinwayne & you should find it.

Welcome to the VW club. It will be an interesting ride if nothing else.

If your cabin filter is anything like the Golf/Jetta configuration, and it sounds like it is, be careful of the razor sharp metal under the cowl where the filter fits.

Slightly off-topic: Do you VW owners find your VWs to be more "quirky" than other makes?

I ask because I like the styling of the new Passat, but I hesitate because of the rumors (legitimate?) of poor dealer service throughout the U.S., overpriced parts, and questionable reliability on some models.

And while I love extended OCIs, what makes VW so certain those two particular oils will go 10k miles under ANY given driving conditions?

buickman: other than the Golf being somewhat DIYer unfriendly, how do you like the car?

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Slightly off-topic: Do you VW owners find your VWs to be more "quirky" than other makes? "
I do. Not a complaint, they're just peculiar.

"I ask because I like the styling of the new Passat, but I hesitate because of the rumors (legitimate?) of poor dealer service throughout the U.S., overpriced parts, and questionable reliability on some models."

Until you learn to do some of the stuff yourself and/or find a guru with passion to do all the repairs. Some of these guys are amazing with their talent/drive/willingness.

"And while I love extended OCIs, what makes VW so certain those two particular oils will go 10k miles under ANY given driving conditions?"

They still think they know everything. Just ask them.

buickman: other than the Golf being somewhat DIYer unfriendly, how do you like the car?

For the record - I love driving/maintaining it. Fun.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401

What really irriated me... the oil plug. Not only does it use a goofy sized allen wrench to remove it, but it has a permanent copper crush washer. What to I mean by permanent? The washer is somehow fitted at the factory that makes the plugs so that its inside diameter is smaller than the threads on the plug making it impossible to remove by just sliding or screwing it off the threads. My guess is that they use some sort of heating method to expand the copper gasket just enough to get it over the threads. VW expects you to buy a new plug costing anywere from 2 to $4 depending on the source at every oil change... and no parts store carries the proper plug.

VW might expect a new plug, but most dealers don't. If you swing by the parts counter and ask, they'll sell you a bag of aluminum washers of removable size for the original plug.

You should also double check on materials; if it has a cast alloy pan it typically uses an aluminum washer. But it's a VW, so who really knows? I say this as a fellow VW owner getting ready to crawl under ours (for a routine oil change) in about 10 minutes.

Slightly off-topic: Do you VW owners find your VWs to be more "quirky" than other makes?

I ask because I like the styling of the new Passat, but I hesitate because of the rumors (legitimate?) of poor dealer service throughout the U.S., overpriced parts, and questionable reliability on some models.

And while I love extended OCIs, what makes VW so certain those two particular oils will go 10k miles under ANY given driving conditions?

The rumor about poor dealer service is not a rumor -- at tdiclub the VW dealers are trashed on a regular basis, and always for good reason.

Some parts are expensive, others are not. I suspect the Passat CC may have some parts that can only be obtained from VW, at very high prices.

Some VW engines have surprising large sump capacities, for example the 2.5-liter I5 in the Rabbit and Jetta... 6.5 liters, I think. That's a big reason why they can go so long between oil changes, even when using a mediocre engine oil.

But other engines, like the 1.8T in the older Passat sedans and wagons, had an unusually small sump capacity. Folks who didn't check their oil level frequently tended to have problems with that engine. (Not a factor when the 1.8T was installed in the GTI, GLI, and New Beetle. Larger sump cap.)

Finally, not all VWs are hard to work on. I just use a topside oil extractor, so don't have to mess with crush washers etc.

http://www.germanautoparts.com is a good place to find parts. I did a tune up on my wifes Jetta 2.0L plugs, wires, cap and rotor for the price it would of cost if i were to buy just the wires from the dealer. As far as the airfilter is concerned im a fan of reuseable filters and got a AFE oil type.

Last edited:

I've found my '99 Passat 1.8T relatively easy to work on, except for the front of the transverse engine. To do any work there you basically have to take apart all of the front body work.

As for the dealers.... THEY SUCK SO HARD I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN!!!!
15.gif

Volkswagen dealers are so bad, that despite the fact I love my Passat, I choose to never buy a VW again, and purchased a new Mazda 6 last fall instead.

well I am am member over at the TDICLUB, only the truly brave (or perhaps really daft) would dare take their car to the dealer. This is particularly true with the diesel models, there are several documented threads that describe broken or damaged engines, missing bolts, incorrect lubricant use, savagely tight pan bolts (installed with air guns), body damage etc.

They broke my wife's tdi when they replaced the glow plugs; a relay and ecu flash was required as the plugs had a different voltage (emission recall). Otto and Hans decided to flash the ecu and forget the relay cooking the brand new glow plugs causing a CEL making the car incapable of passing our local smog test.

Frankly if you want to maintain your car, run away from your local stealership.

Find a local VW/euro car indie shop and never look back

VW Dealership caused damage to my brand new Golf | TDIClub Forums

Dealership cause damaged to my motor | TDIClub Forums

Weird VW Dealership Experience | TDIClub Forums

Back