Degree of difficulty of changing cabin filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed cabin filter in 2006 Volvo V70.

Searching for instruction on Yutube, 2006 V70 isn't too hard but other Volvo may be very difficult. Looks like Volvo engineer didn't think about design for maintenance, they just buy various parts from various vendors and slap all parts together, and here it is the car is running so good to sell.

The cabin filter location of this Volvo is an example of no engineering.

The cabin filter of 2006 Volvo V70 is below. It isn't too difficult but still wasn't good engineered.

Honda Accord cabin filter, easy to change and no tool is needed. No need to bend the filter, easy to remove the old and reinstall the new.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Gotta love European cars! NOT.

What's the price of a replacement Volvo cabin filter?

I bought two cabin filter and 1 engine air filter plus few oil filter 2-3 years ago form Rockauto, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it. My guess is about $8-10/ea for cabin and engine air filter, $5-6/ea for oil filter.

For some reasons I don't know, cabin filter is clogged sooner than engine air filter for all my cars.

Okay, I remember why I posted this same thing last year and today. Both times it was hot in garage, I sweated terribly both times and I was upset with the supposed to be easy task, I then posted here more or less to let the steam off my mind.

1999 Odyssey: 1st time is real bad; 2nd and 3rd time, I still hated doing it.
2012 Acura: Literally 30 second job.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
2012 Altima sucks too.

2014 Altima = Super Sucks!

2000-04 Subaru Outback is terrible.

Step 1: Open glove box.
Step 2: Push REALLY REALLY hard on the sides of your glovebox until it flexes enough to drop down.
Step 3: Remove (GENTLY!) passenger side trim along center console (several clips and a screw or 3) to expose all screws holding glove box into dash.
Step 3: Remove several screws holding glove box in.
Step 4: Hold glove box while unplugging light.
Step 5: Set Glove box in back set/anywhere out of the way.
Step 6: Remove plug from thermostat sensor.
Step 7: Remove 4 little metal clips on sensor assembly and try not to lose them when they pop off at Mach 2 towards your eyes.
Step 8: Remove sensor assembly.
Step 9: Remove small cabin filter 1.
Step 10: Remove small cabin filter 2.
Step 11: Replace with new filters.
Reassemble in reverse order.

Takes 30 minutes if you are being careful not to break anything on your aging daily driver.

New Subarus have a hatch with like 6 bolts covering the filter. That's it. Takes 2 minutes.

Nissan has never really cared about ease of servicing when contrasted with Toyota or Honda. In my experience, Honda seems to learn as they go along. Current model Honda/Acuras are trivial for cabin air filter change. Similarly, after EGR port started clogging on 1999 Hondas, couple year down the road, they put a removable plate on the upper intake manifold to make cleaning easier. Early 1990 EGR port cleaning needed heck of work. So Honda definitely learns from serviceability needs along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back