Workout supplements.

Anyone use these when working out? I make a mix of either whey protein powder-Muscle Milk powder,creatine,biotin,and collagen with a glass of milk after lifting weights.

What’s everyone else’s workout recipes?
I use muscle milk protein to supplement my diets otherwise none.

I drink water. Staying fully hydrated (and active) will help to flush the lacatic acid from those tired muscles. I don't lift but ride my bike 150ish miles per week, run 10ish miles per week. When I ride long enough that I need to eat (over 60 miles) I just eat regular food. I only use electrolyte drinks if it's REALLY hot out, and rarely even then.

Anyone use these when working out? I make a mix of either whey protein powder-Muscle Milk powder,creatine,biotin,and collagen with a glass of milk after lifting weights.

Do you notice a difference between suplimenting and not?

Pretty much most places says its a waste of money. Most people get too much protein in their diet anyways. Real food is better than protein powders.

Best reply yet!
:sneaky:

Research has found that consuming too much protein can cause weakening of bones and liver issues.

Do you notice a difference between suplimenting and not?
Absolutely!! One day awhile back I walked outside without my shirt on and my neighbor asked me if I was on roids haha! I also quickly had to buy more weight discs as I could too easily lift everything I had. Without taking the supplements hardcore I didn’t seem to be gaining any rapid bulk muscle.

Without hitting the supplements it was like I reached a plateau and couldn’t gain any more. With the supplements I started gaining a ton of strength and bulk muscle.

Creatine definitely works (and it is probably one of the very few legal weightlifting supplements that work if not the only one) but I limit the dose to no more than 1–2 grams a day, which is a fraction of the recommended 5 grams. Despite what they say, 5 grams has side effects, suchs as making the kidneys work too hard and it will result in hair loss if you are genetically prone to it. There may be other long-term side effects as well; so, I wouldn't take more than 1–2 grams a day, which is still more than what you would get by eating a lot of meat and enough for most purposes. Another side effect of creatine is that if you stop taking it, you lose strength dramatically within weeks, which could lead to muscle tears. This is the reason for the common hamstring pulls reported by people taking creatine. Therefore, if you stop taking creatine, decrease the weights and/or workout intensity dramatically in order to avoid injuries.

Switch between C4 ripped/extreme/ultimate as a preworkout with my daily vitamins/fish oil - although at the moment I'm using bodytech elite pre-workout because of a buy-one-get-one half off deal.

ON BCAAs during workout - not sure if it actually works but it tastes good and makes me want to drink more

Bodytech "hexatien-SR" which is just a blend of whey, casein, egg, and soy proteins. It's the only protein that I think tastes good.

I workout everyday, except maybe one or two days a month. Pre workout definitely helps especially with morning workouts and I can definitely tell a slight difference in recovery the next day when I drink the protein.

Last edited:
I take pre-workout supplements and Whey protein. I workout five days a week using a five day split working one muscle group per day. It works for me at age 53.

Without hitting the supplements it was like I reached a plateau and couldn’t gain any more. With the supplements I started gaining a ton of strength and bulk muscle.
Are you sure it's not all in your head? I don't do any supplements and I have good days and bad days. The key is really having protein before and after, doesn't really matter the source. Real food is cheaper than a powder and taste better.

Creatine definitely works (and it is probably one of the very few legal weightlifting supplements that work if not the only one) but I limit the dose to no more than 1–2 grams a day, which is a fraction of the recommended 5 grams. Despite what they say, 5 grams has side effects, suchs as making the kidneys work too hard and it will result in hair loss if you are genetically prone to it. There may be other long-term side effects as well; so, I wouldn't take more than 1–2 grams a day, which is still more than what you would get by eating a lot of meat and enough for most purposes. Another side effect of creatine is that if you stop taking it, you lose strength dramatically within weeks, which could lead to muscle tears. This is the reason for the common hamstring pulls reported by people taking creatine. Therefore, if you stop taking creatine, decrease the weights and/or workout intensity dramatically in order to avoid injuries.
I’ve read about the hair loss thing and wondered if it’s a myth or fact. Luckily at 51,I still have all my hair!!:D

Are you sure it's not all in your head?
If you eat a lot of meat, which you shouldn't be doing at least for your health's sake, you won't need creatine and taking extra creatine is not healthy. If you're vegetarian or eat little meat, you need about 1–2 grams a day as a supplement to see good strength and muscle development. As I explained above in detail, the recommended 5 grams a day is too high to be safe and/or side-effect-free.

Last edited:
Some very poor advice and suggestions in this thread, that's for sure.

I use joint supplements,fish oil,stim-free pre-work out,liver supplements most of the time.

Food-wise concentrate on the lean meats and stay far away from sugars.

I use Whey protein drink on gym days as my breakfast(200 calories + 20gm protein + ?) (3X/week) plus a multivitamin). I eat mostly chicken and fish and very little red meat. 82 years old and still doing my own oil changes, mowing my yard etc. Ed

I balance my.pre- and post-workout meals so that I generally don't feel the need to use specific supplements. I always carry water and on a hot day I carry also a banana. I run in the early morning. I have a yogurt smoothie and a few dates and nuts before I run. After my 5-mile run I'll have breakfast. Eggs, chicken, some green veggies, some rice or potatos. I eat lightly before I go surfing and I have some not too junky food afterward.

Some very poor advice and suggestions in this thread, that's for sure.

I use joint supplements,fish oil,stim-free pre-work out,liver supplements most of the time.

Food-wise concentrate on the lean meats and stay far away from sugars.
That last sentence is so important and so many get wrong.

If you eat a lot of meat, which you shouldn't be doing at least for your health's sake, you won't need creatine and taking extra creatine is not healthy. If you're vegetarian or eat little meat, you need about 1–2 grams a day as a supplement to see good strength and muscle development. As I explained above in detail, the recommended 5 grams a day is too high to be safe and/or side-effect-free.
This is strictly an opinion that's all

Pretty much most places says its a waste of money. Most people get too much protein in their diet anyways. Real food is better than protein powders.

Exactly, my brother has been a correctional officer for over 2 decades and the prisoners do not get protein supplements or shakes or other so called strength building, vitamins, minerals and the like. They get 3 squares a day and that's it. Yet the hard core prison lifters are very very strong despite the prison food which generally has only a modest amount of protein. they work out every day, sometimes 2-3 times a day with heavy weights and they mostly do the big 3 lifts: deadlift squat and bench press. when they are locked down like many are now due to covid they do pushups and situps in their cell 1000 reps a day. One thing prisoners do get is lots and lots of rest and sleep. So these supplements are really not needed and as you say too much is not good and they are basically a waste of money. Those big muscle guys in the muscle magazine ads who are hawking the latest scientific vitamin and protein powder... well they are not getting that big and strong from supplements they are getting big and strong from STEROIDS. Same with the big strongmen contest guys and NFL lineman and linebackers they have a little secret and it aint vitamins.. it's steroids and they eat like a horse tons of calories every day.

Last edited:
Back