Working off the clock...

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I have been working at Company X for three years now and I am getting at my wits end of it. The nights I work I end up having to work 30-45 minutes after I clock out to stock and clean. I finally figured it up and that's 104 hours a year that I am not getting paid for, minimum. As of tonight I and keeping track of these hours and am going to quit staying late to get "caught up". The company demands stuff done during your shift but during the summer that is impossible trying to look after a c store by yourself in the middle of summer.

Talk to a manager about it. Maybe they can schedule another body in there while you do some extra detailing or merchandising?. It might make you look good to ask for somenthing above and beyond that way. In the short run someone else gets extra hours but at least you're getting paid to be there for what you do. The [censored] thing about most non-union jobs is they exploit the people who actually do the work expected. If another person calls off and you hang in there by yourself, guess what? You're alone next week. If this is a occurrence you can actually document you can go above the superior. I know in my state big companies get sued all the time and lose for people working on lunch and off the clock. Once its a lawsuit you may get very little and get fired but it is something they are scared of and really try to follow the law. In fact some companies actually fire people for working off the clock to avoid this, and also its an insurance thing if you were to get hurt while not on the clock.

Welcome to the modern world...

The job is your responsibility, and if it can't be done in a shift, that's your responsibility too.

All my working life "I'm retired now" if I worked I got paid for it, period. I mostly worked for a salary and what couldn't be done during office hours got done the next day, if extra was absolutly needed like during inventory a bonus was given, if not then tomorrow was the day it got accomplished.

When working by the hour, I demanded pay by the hour, and anything over 8 hours was time and a half. If that wasn't acceptable with management, the answer was byby.

I might add I never left a job for those reasons and during my entire working carrer was never let go, for any any reason.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
When working by the hour, I demanded pay by the hour, and anything over 8 hours was time and a half. If that wasn't acceptable with management, the answer was byby.

This. You have to be worth it to the company, though. And that union vs. non-union garbage is garbage.

Put any time you work on your time card, or don't do the work, or call the boss at closing and say you were busy and couldn't yet mop the floor and what should you do.

Also mention point blank if you were in a union you wouldn't have to put up with it. Then if you get canned for your "attitude" you can sue them and say it was retaliation.

C stores are crooks; around here they used to say the drawer was $5 short, "you must have stolen it", if you want to keep the job chip in, blah blah.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Also mention point blank if you were in a union you wouldn't have to put up with it. Then if you get canned for your "attitude" you can sue them and say it was retaliation.

Good luck with that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

You're wrong. No reason is needed to fire an employee in Iowa, and while you can certainly try to sue you'll lose.

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
trying to look after a c store by yourself in the middle of summer.

The problem is that convenience store employees are a dime a dozen, and therefore in some chains viewed as nothing more than a commodity. You can either keep track of your time and attempt to collect overtime, or find an employeer that appreciates employees.

If I were in a similar circumstance I'd simply find another job.

The problem is the boss knows business is up at the store. You probably know how much cash comes in on your shift. He'll say, well I gross $4200 in a day and Bill doesn't work OT but Bob does. Or if you start putting in for OT and business has been steady, it looks like you're slowing down.

It's one of those things where you open the door by doing it once, then you feel guilty after.

I worked somewhere once, many years ago, where they asked people to work "off the clock". Once they asked me and I said "you mean slavery?" Never asked me again!
banana2.gif

John

Sorry, but if you are an hourly employee and your boss wants you to work off the clock.... simply say NO. I don't want to sound bad but its kind of your own fault for not standing up and saying NO. Off the clock = no pay.
104 hours * $9 (example) = $936

30 years ago I worked in a grocery store and the manager at closing time would tell all the employees he needed them to fix a few things before we left. Of course we had all punched out and he wanted us to stay another 15-30 minutes working, I simply walked out and got in my car and left.

Union or non union, working off the clock is a no no.
49.gif

By law they have to pay you if you stay late. I do work off the clock ocasionally but I get paid by free use of the shop and tools on my day off if I need it.

It's great to be able to put my Jeep on the lift and do whatever needs to be done vs laying in the dirt working on it.

So it all works out in the end.

I'm in the same boat. my manager has me working sometimes 50 hrs/wk but I'm salary. so I'm boned. we have hourly employees, the company is being so tight with money, they are making access spreadsheets. if you work OT and your hourly, you have to put that in the access database. so our manager can keep track of it. it's getting ridiculous. I work for a medicaid run health insurance company, every month they are telling us that we are spending too much money on health care costs over our budget. we are spending 88 cents of every dollar toward healthcare costs for medicaid people. they said that's too high, it should be 85 cents out of every dollar. so they are squeezing the employees every minute out of every day out of us. we did a time and motion study, so now I got more work to do.
mad.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
By law they have to pay you if you stay late.

Only if your job is federally classified as "nonexempt".

This.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Welcome to the modern world...

The job is your responsibility, and if it can't be done in a shift, that's your responsibility too.

See, this I take issue with. I agree that you are paid to do a job regardless of how "long" it takes, but there are far too many employers that take advantage of that. They make it impossible to do any given job in 40 hours a week. Mine is hard to do in under 50. Thank GOD I am single with no kids.

My company absolutely does and it's why I would never recommend anyone work there. And yes, I work a so-called "9-5 desk job". I'm in management and I think that might make it worse.

When there is extra work to be done, I have to pay my employees to stay on the clock and perform the tasks. I am then held accountable for the overtime they might receive while doing this.

I get an [buttocks] chewing once in awhile. You know, that boring "Payroll is the only controllable overhead..." mantra. But I show good reason why I'm over on payroll everytime, my shops are in good working order and every item in my inventory is accounted for. I tend to do better on audits than other Managers that have more controlled payroll.

A little time and a half goes a long way for morale. So does the knowledge that their manager will stay and work with them until the job is done.

All this is part of being a manager. Your's is not a good manager.

I worked for a big box retailer that asked people to work off the clock routinely. Managers also worked 3 weeks at a stretch, 12 hour days, with no days off. I got asked about being management once, but there was no way in the world that I would have done it.

Now, when I go in the chain to shop, I am extra careful to be nice to the employees, because I know that the company treats them like trash.

If you are hourly, and are asked to work extra unpaid hours, keep accurate records of both the work and the requests from management. When you leave the company (retirement or otherwise) see a lawyer. I've read about a very large number of employees getting 6 figure settlements out of a career of being shafted by management.
The key here is keeping records, and your mouth shut while working.

Just report it to your state labor board. They will do an investigation, and if they find workers were in fact working "off the clock" they will fine the employer and force them to pay the estimated time that everyone worked for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back