Work boots

I think it was about a year ago that I was posting on here about Red Wing Traction Tred Lights. A year has passed and one of my friends made it a year in what is considered a “light duty” work boot. I have since bought a pair of these myself, and WOW, what a difference they have made in everyday comfort and traction. I do tend to buy Red Wings, but I’m always open to other brands. But these boots might be the best I’ve owned (for what I do).

Has anyone tried these things^^^yet? The problem I’m having is that they just aren’t stocking these boots in a lot of their stores..and the other outlets aren’t carrying them at all (or even heard of them). I’m worrying they’ll discontinue them.

Red Wing wearer myself for work boots. Have tried multiple brands besides over the years -- Wolverine, Timberland, Herman Survivors, etc... and always revert back to Red Wings --- and for good reason. ;)

I worked construction for over 35 years. The most expensive and most uncomfortable boots I ever wore, were Red wings. They never did break in, and hurt my feet even after I took them off. I actually bought another brand of boots and stopped wearing them. I guess everyone is different, but I didn't like them.,,,

I worked construction for over 35 years. The most expensive and most uncomfortable boots I ever wore, were Red wings. They never did break in, and hurt my feet even after I took them off. I actually bought another brand of boots and stopped wearing them. I guess everyone is different, but I didn't like them.,,,
What brand/ line do you recommend?

If the shoe fits.......
Seriously, fit and weight are key. I know traction / slip resistance is up there for many people too.

Funny thing about Red Wing: A pal worked heavy industry and "everyone" mocked Red Wing. I have no idea why except for the possibility of echoes of New England made shoes having not faded -aka jingoism.

My sister worked lighter industry and her coworkers were very happy with their Red Wings. Her company contracted with Red Wing, refreshing their footwear (aka safety gear) regularly or PROVIDED THE MONEY if other boots were needed.
Sis was hard to fit and sourced her own BUT the Red Wing man always gave her a pair anyway.

I would take those new Red Wings to a good, small shoe store and trade 'em; most often for Wolverines. Dunham boots also fit me well but I didn't prefer their glued soles; which would fail.
My 11.5 2E hoof is at the end of the shoe production bell curve so AVAILABILITY is important.

Did I ever mention the ONE TIME I bought boots via mail order? 'Twas a long time ago.

Last edited:
Little known fact. Grainger has some locations with safety footwear stores in the branch. The stores have limited hours.
Worth the visit as they stock several brands

Large well stocked selection of safety footwear for various needs. Not all shoes and boots they sell have safety toes.
They always give me a free pair of socks with any boot/shoe purchase in store.

I myself hate heavy footwear. I wear Wolverine Caronmax boots at work. Light boots that don't wear me down.

What you like and what I like may be two different things. All I can say is don't be biased like many guys tend to be.

Old map may be outdated?

full-55018-42387-boots.jpg

I always wore Georgia Boot with the wide toe box. For me they were the most comfortable.

Work gave me a pair of Tims. They just won't break in and my limit of comfort is about two hours. I'm still wearing seven year old Merrels.

I have wore a few different brands. Red Wings are nice boots for sure. My Justin boots are on their third year. The inside is coming apart but I don’t want to give them up. Carolina is also a preference of mine. The first pair of boots I ever got were Brahma from Walmart and man did my knees and feet hurt after a long day of standing. Won’t go back to those. I do have a pair of Cat boots I wear occasionally too. They are pretty good but I don’t like them cause they are the slip on type. We have a Red Wing store here now I haven’t went in it but my friends did and all come out with more than one pair of boots.

Gave up years ago trying to break in Red Wings to the comfort zone. Tried again last fall/winter. Had to return them. Thanks goodness for Amazon Prime return policies. After that lesson I bought a pair of Carhartt MocToe's. They were 1/3 the price and 3 times more comfortable. Boots that are less heavy duty are what I need now. I was able to wear these comfortably all day after about 5 wearings. Doubt if I even wear out this pair in 10 years.

Their Heritage line is awful to break in...id Need a trip to the emergency room if I tried getting through a day in guise things (before break in).

Other than that, I haven’t really had any issues with them for comfort/break In. Although I did by a pair of Red Wing King Toes a month ago and I only made it walking from my car to work with them. Took them off. Returned them when I got home. HORRIBLE PAIN right in my toes...and this was supposed to be a boot for toe comfort. Nope, not for me anyway. Yet, some people swear by them.

Overall I like their boots, but it’s not like I think they’re the end all and be all of all boots. I’ve had some Chippew’s that have done me well in the past.

Little known fact. Grainger has some locations with safety footwear stores in the branch. The stores have limited hours.
Worth the visit as they stock several brands

Large well stocked selection of safety footwear for various needs. Not all shoes and boots they sell have safety toes.
They always give me a free pair of socks with any boot/shoe purchase in store.

I myself hate heavy footwear. I wear Wolverine Caronmax boots at work. Light boots that don't wear me down.

What you like and what I like may be two different things. All I can say is don't be biased like many guys tend to be.
I tried looking up these Coronmax, couldn’t find them specifically...is this a line by them or a specific boot? Like to try these if they’re light.

My work boots lately have to be more of an outdoor boot than indoor. After a long look I settled on zamberlan. I usually try to buy USA built, but these were to good. At least they are not built in China. 👍

My work boots lately have to be more of an outdoor boot than indoor. After a long look I settled on zamberlan. I usually try to buy USA built, but these were to good. At least they are not built in China. 👍

$500 bucks!!?? Those things better be great! But I must say, they do look really good. What is with that welt? I can’t tell what that is.

Back