Won the bid, not sure if I will be awarded the 1979 YAMAHA XS1100

It appears he has a sickness with regards to these auctions. Just can't let a "good deal" pass or something.

Or he's creating content for his youtube channel and 30k followers perhaps?
At $164 which I thought would be an out the door price, kind of fun Saturday project to see if I can get running, learn a bit. At $300, the recipe gets a bit different.

Sickness, maybe... or just a fun hobby. Over the past five years, I have made two purchases that didn't work out. A 2005 Pontiac Vibe and a Triumph motorcycle. Combined loss well UNDER $1,000. Guess I could have spent that money on a discount trip to Cancun. I'd rather challenge myself and maybe learn something. I have also made purchases that have really worked out well for me, my friends, and my family. I am also much more self sufficient in case of a vehicle problem on a cross country move with or without a trailer.

No, I am not watching Monday night football, I am either learning something or working on something. Saturday morning I am not watching Netflix, I am working on something. We are all different.

Right now I am learning on why a guy decided to quit using his Anderson fifth wheel hitch, an often discussed hitch for its light weight aluminum build and speculative risks to its design reference safety. Watching while drinking nice black coffee.

I would have like to have video some of the projects and shared what went well and what didn't. But I don't know how to do that.

I admit that my reply came across a bit more harsh than I truly intended. It was more in reference to the the auction motorcycles with the knowledge your wife would not approve (and having to give the Triumph away rather than taking ownership). It doesn't add up with me, but frankly it doesn't have to. I actually enjoy reading about the cars and trucks that you procure and improve. The Lexus SUV and the MB sedans were quite interesting.

At $164 which I thought would be an out the door price, kind of fun Saturday project to see if I can get running, learn a bit. At $300, the recipe gets a bit different.

Sickness, maybe... or just a fun hobby. Over the past five years, I have made two purchases that didn't work out. A 2005 Pontiac Vibe and a Triumph motorcycle. Combined loss well UNDER $1,000. Guess I could have spent that money on a discount trip to Cancun. I'd rather challenge myself and maybe learn something. I have also made purchases that have really worked out well for me, my friends, and my family. I am also much more self sufficient in case of a vehicle problem on a cross country move with or without a trailer.

No, I am not watching Monday night football, I am either learning something or working on something. Saturday morning I am not watching Netflix, I am working on something. We are all different.

Right now I am learning on why a guy decided to quit using his Anderson fifth wheel hitch, an often discussed hitch for its light weight aluminum build and speculative risks to its design reference safety. Watching while drinking nice black coffee.

I would have like to have video some of the projects and shared what went well and what didn't. But I don't know how to do that.

I admit that my reply came across a bit more harsh than I truly intended. It was more in reference to the the auction motorcycles with the knowledge your wife would not approve (and having to give the Triumph away rather than taking ownership). It doesn't add up with me, but frankly it doesn't have to. I actually enjoy reading about the cars and trucks that you procure and improve. The Lexus SUV and the MB sedans were quite interesting.
No, its all good. And your post may have been spot on- maybe it is a sickness. And I justify it by it being a productive sickness.

I have been challenged my entire life. Grew up super poor, homeless junior year of high school, worked full time in high school. I could go on and on. Soon to turn 60 years old, and most of the challenges have disappeared. Maybe finding vehicles with possible potential and trying to fix them replaces the challenges of trying to feed and house myself from my teen years....... who knows..... I seem to have a desire to keep fighting in one capacity or another.

That's a great deal. If you can get her running, it's a sweet old ride. When I've bought similar mikes for restoration, it almost always required refinishing the inside of the gas tank, extensive carb work, occasionally a stator, etc.

Good luck and enjoy!

No, its all good. And your post may have been spot on- maybe it is a sickness. And I justify it by it being a productive sickness.

I have been challenged my entire life. Grew up super poor, homeless junior year of high school, worked full time in high school. I could go on and on. Soon to turn 60 years old, and most of the challenges have disappeared. Maybe finding vehicles with possible potential and trying to fix them replaces the challenges of trying to feed and house myself from my teen years....... who knows..... I seem to have a desire to keep fighting in one capacity or another.

Definitely not a sickness, although with the auction and bidding, there is probably that little bit of adrenaline going on. But at the end of the day it’s keeping you productive.
Nothing wrong with that IMO.

I enjoy working on my motorcycles almost as much as I enjoy riddling them. I hope the day never comes when I can’t ride anymore, but if it does, I will keep the hobby going even if I can only work on them.
Definitely beats watching TV IMO.

Man that bike brings back memories. I never owned one, but I wanted one. My first streetbike was a CB750, but I dreamed of owning an XS1100 (and a number of other liter or liter+ bikes. I eventually did own an FJ1200, which I believe had it's design roots in the XS-series engine.

I'm grateful the wife encourages my M/C obsession. Of course she rides too.

As was mentioned, I'd be inclined to remove the aftermarket luggage and windjammer, and enjoy that classic bike.

I think the idea of parallel twins are really cool, way long time ago a friend had a Honda. I think Triumph is the only well known brand that still uses them.

Reactions: GON
I think the idea of parallel twins are really cool, way long time ago a friend had a Honda. I think Triumph is the only well known brand that still uses them.
The XS1100 is an inline four.

Plenty of parallel twins on the market though. Yamaha MT-07, Honda CB500, Kawasaki Z650, just to name a few.

The XS1100 is an inline four.

Plenty of parallel twins on the market though. Yamaha MT-07, Honda CB500, Kawasaki Z650, just to name a few.
Yeah, I was thinking that but just posted and "ran" as with the parallel twins I always thought the "inline" front facing engine was kind of cool. Like parallel quads 🤣

Check the float bowls first . These photos were from a Yamaha XS-1100 that sat too long with gas in the carbs (pure gas, not ethanol). It was leaned up against a shed interior wall. The uphill 2 carbs were gravity drained. The downhill 2 carbs, not so lucky.

CCD7301F-019C-4265-922E-621593431DD1.jpeg

DFD37801-5C05-47D5-8E63-60E93F26E005.jpeg

Z

Picked up the bike. It is 100 percent complete. I took off the windshield and stereo speakers. Bike last licensed in 1994, so I suspect it has been sitting in a garage since then. The dirt is from sitting on the salvage lot.

Battery is dead. I assume gas is really bad. Will see on Saturday.

PXL_20230915_001102246.jpg
PXL_20230915_001111828.jpg
PXL_20230915_001127921.jpg
PXL_20230915_001132382.jpg
PXL_20230915_001136831.jpg
PXL_20230915_001146627.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up the bike. It is 100 percent complete. I took off the windshield and stereo speakers. Bike last licensed in 1994, so I suspect it has been sitting in a garage since then. The dirt is from sitting on the salvage lot.

Battery is dead. I assume gas is really bad. Will see on Saturday.
Ok how long will I be holding it?

A high school friend of mine bought a new Kawasaki 750, 2 stroke triple back in 1974 I think it was. That thing was scary fast, and handled like a Schwinn 10 speed with a lawn mower engine.

He rode it one night from Chicago to Carbondale, Illinois, cruising 80+ MPH all the way. He said he averaged about 18 MPG with it, and had to stop for gas several times.

When he drove it easy, around town in traffic for a day or two, then got on the expressway and nailed it, it left behind a cloud of blue/white smoke you couldn't see through. A bit like those military landing craft when they beach. He bought 2 stroke oil by the gallon jug.
I had that KH750, a KH500 too. Blue smoke was just how you knew they were running lol. Both the 750 and the 500 had a high speed shimmy though that was always disconcerting, the KZ900 was just perfect at the time it came out and the triples went away. I didn't own any of them, I was just a stupid kid who didn't realize how good he had it. What I'd give to have one today!

Turned the fuel tank valve just to see what would happen, fuel started to leak.

Without a doubt, the carbs must need to be rebuilt. Looking on Ebay, Chinese kits are about $30. Kits from Germany about $110 USD. Would love to know if the German kits are worth the extra money, or are they essentially the same parts that are in the Chinese kits.

Here is a guy doing a rebuild on a 1980 XS1100 special.

Back