Wix XP vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are good, I'd use the Fram. For me they're easier to get, there are always good deals on them on Ebay if I want to load up. And I have never encountered a problem with one in over 40 years of using them.

Does anyone have UOAs with particle counts to compare the WIX XP to the Fram Ultra?

Blackstone will do a particle count for $14 with a UOA.
(not the $25 price in the test list)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
There's nothing wrong with the base construction, that YouTube reviewer doesn't have a clue about it, he even eluded to his unsureness of what he was saying. He's just making guesses.

Base is OK. I saw a part of the video painfx (OP) posted about the Ultra's leaf spring possibly getting loose. One should shake their new Ultra to see if its already gotten loose before putting it on. Then when on, as long as a big rock doesn't hit it, no problem. It does look like it is capable of getting out of alignment & loose up there.

From another bitog thread on the "rattle" problem sometimes seen:

Originally Posted by Tony10s
Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Tony10s
... No filter is meant to withstand being dropped on a hard floor. The thickest of cans can be dented this way. ...
You probably know, but I'll point out for anyone who doesn't, impact on the dome end of a spin-on filter can easily ruin it even if there's no dent or distortion of the surface. Excessive acceleration can permanently deform the spring. When that happens, the other internal components are no longer clamped together, which allows oil to bypass around the end of the media. I used to slap the dome end of filters with my bare hand, in order to more thoroughly drain them. Once I whacked a Purolator too hard. I noticed it rattled thereafter when shaken, and realized what I'd done, even though the can was undamaged. Therefore, I (sadly) discarded it instead of reinstalling it.
Originally Posted by dlundblad
I had the same issue with a German Mann from AAP. It was an online in store pickup and they let me exchange it right there before I left.

thumbsup2.gif
Yep, I've run into this problem with other filters as well. The Hyundai OEM filter (which has a thick, heavy can) that I received in the mail with a dent on the dome end rattled when I shook it. I came across a Mobil 1 EP filter at AAP that had a dent on the dome end and had the same problem. An employee placed the filter aside behind the counter and put a note on it so it wouldn't get put back on the shelf. Once I dropped a Purolator filter of mine still in the box on concrete, which dented the dome end and caused a rattle on the inside. Also, the rattle may not happen until later, after the filter has been installed and in use for a while. An impact on a hard floor/concrete surface and a dent on the dome end can cause a problem with the spring over time, with failure occurring after the filter has been in use for a while. There was an example of this on BITOG in the past. Dented filters should never be installed because it can lead to problems down the road.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Linctex
Either one will get your car to 200,000 miles without any lubrication system failures.

I want my Corvette to last 250k and beyond though, so when the new 22psi bypass Ultra filter comes out in the new year, that's what I'll be running on it from that point on
smile.gif

LOL!!! Any good oil filter, even with a "mere 8-10 psi bypass valve" will get you to 250,000.... if all else is equal.

The difference between a 8 psi bypass valve and a 22 psi bypass valve = zero effect on engine life

That's not a gamble I'm willing to take.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Malo83
Running a Wix 47045, whats the FRAM Ultra equivalent?

That's a Napa part number not a Wix number. The equivalent Fram available is only the Orange Can.
http://www.fram.com/parts-search/PH10575/

Thanks, guess i'll stick with the XP.
11.gif

Ultra has a much higher efficiency rating if that matters to you. Build quality is a coin toss as they're both above average. If you're not concerned about efficiency, go with whatever you can get cheaper, if you want efficiency, Ultra is where the money's at! That said, a standard Wix has a higher efficiency rating than the XP and is rated for up to 10k miles.

Originally Posted by shanneba
Does anyone have UOAs with particle counts to compare the WIX XP to the Fram Ultra?

Here's PC data out of the UOA forum on this site (1st graph). The graph shows how the ISO PC cleanliness correlates to the rated efficiency. And the other two graphs are from an SAE paper that shows oil filters tested in the lab to have higher efficiency kept the used oil cleaner.

ISO PC vs Filter Efficiency.JPG

Bus Oil Filter Study (SAE Paper 902238) - Figure 1.JPG

Bus Oil Filter Study (SAE Paper 902238) - Figure 2.JPG

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by gregk24
Fram Ultra filters better, with excellent flow. That would be the clear winner IMHO.

can you please share where I can get info of the fram ultra has better efficiency? thanks!

On the FRAM website, on the FRAM box. WIX doesn't even publish efficiency for their filter. Plus, WIX says one yr change interval regardless of mileage, FRAM puts no limits and 20k change interval and costs less to boot.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I'd still love to see a filter made with the Wix-style construction for the ADBV interface, Fram Ultra media, thread-end bypass with 24-27 psi rating, and solid endcaps on the dome end with a coil spring. Make it in 3593A size, and I'll buy dozens of them for the Subarus and Honda in my life
smile.gif

And yet FRAm has been making Honda OE filters 27 years (13 million a year) and Subaru OE for 8 yrs now. Guess they don't know whats good for Subies?

Jay,
I think you misunderstood my post, as I have XG3593As on my Odyssey, Outback, and Forester currently, and an XG3600 on my Fusion. I figured I may as well dream a little dream since everyone was talking about filter construction; that was my "unicorn" if you will. I have run Fram Ultra, Wix/NG, Amsoil, and MicroGreen on my vehicles but obviously you see what's on them now.

Originally Posted by Motorking
...FRAM puts no limits and 20k change interval and costs less to boot.

This would be the issue for me. I can get a regular Wix cheaper than an orange can with very little effort. My best price on a Wix XP is significantly higher than my worst price on a Fram Ultra. NAPA Canada is nuts, though, and sell, for my car at least, at regular price, the NAPA Platinum for actually less than the Gold.

Originally Posted by Motorking
Fram Ultra filters better, with excellent flow. That would be the clear winner IMHO.

can you please share where I can get info of the fram ultra has better efficiency? thanks!

On the FRAM website, on the FRAM box. WIX doesn't even publish efficiency for their filter. Plus, WIX says one yr change interval regardless of mileage, FRAM puts no limits and 20k change interval and costs less to boot.
So why does the warranty page on your website say for the duration of original equipment recommended change interval or one year???

That's a Napa part number not a Wix number. The equivalent Fram available is only the Orange Can.

11.gif

Fram does in fact have that number in Ultra. I buy them for my 2018 F150. Just bought one at WallyWorld 2 days ago. $9.37 or something close.

I like them both for full synthetic and wire back, but I feel wix xp is little better build, I like the spring instead of leaf spring like the ultra. but closed your eyes and pick one, it will do perfect job. time to get off BITOG lol

Last edited:
Good question steveh. If Fram won't back a 20k marketing claim with their actual warranty, which reads as you stated, one can conclude it's fluff.

WIX does not send one of their guys here to take unanswered potshots at the competition and contradict the company's warranty statement with marketing claims either.

Originally Posted by Srt20

11.gif

Fram does in fact have that number in Ultra. I buy them for my 2018 F150. Just bought one at WallyWorld 2 days ago. $9.37 or something close.

What's the number if you please,
11.gif

They are both high capacity filters, but I would choose the Fram Ultra because it is also high efficiency filtration. The regular WIX filter has better efficiency than the XP. Whichever filter you choose, the most important part is changing the oil and filter regularly. But you knew that
laugh.gif

It has been posted here before. I believe the Wix was about 50% efficient at 20 microns vs Fram Ultra 99% at 20. Jay who works for Fram is also on this site and he has posted some good info before about this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back