Wix XP vs Fram Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both are good filters.

The Wix XP is made in a wider range of applications than the Ultra. So, if there's a Wix XP available for your car but not a Fram Ultra, then it is the winner by default. For example, both Subaru-specific filters have a XP available for them.

However, the Ultra is said to be more efficient, and is usually priced lower than the XP.

If you have a Volvo, the Wix 57021XP is about $10 cheaper than the Fram XG8712, but this isn't usually the case with the XP costing less than the Ultra.

Also, the Pentastar's Fram Ultra uses a plastic mesh not the usual wire-backing. Wix sticks to the wire mesh for the Pentatsar XP.

The early version of the PentaStars used to have a plastic cage inside the housing that went up the center of the filter so if it's good enough for Chrysler it's good enough for Fram.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
However, the Ultra is said to be more efficient, and is usually priced lower than the XP.

Even if they were the same price, if I'm holding two filters in my hands I'm going with the higher efficiency.

Originally Posted by Onetor
Define better? What are your expectations? Fram ultra has great efficiency ratings and well made. XP is very well made and has lower efficiency ratings. Either works. I rather have better efficiency. Although either will work.

Hi.
Did you check the youtube video I shared?
They design of the Fram Ultra at the bottom of the filter is not so great. Watch at the 31 minute mark.

Originally Posted by painfx
They design of the Fram Ultra at the bottom of the filter is not so great. Watch at the 31 minute mark.

That guy on YouTube doesn't know what's he's talking about. Those "ears" on the bottom base plate centers the guts of the filter (more than most oil filters do), and the ADBV is centered in the end cap's center tube. Don't believe everything you watch on YouTube.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Fram Ultra filters better, with excellent flow. That would be the clear winner IMHO.

can you please share where I can get info of the fram ultra has better efficiency? thanks!

I'd still love to see a filter made with the Wix-style construction for the ADBV interface, Fram Ultra media, thread-end bypass with 24-27 psi rating, and solid endcaps on the dome end with a coil spring. Make it in 3593A size, and I'll buy dozens of them for the Subarus and Honda in my life
smile.gif

Fram Ultra filters better, with excellent flow. That would be the clear winner IMHO.

can you please share where I can get info of the fram ultra has better efficiency? thanks!

Ultra: 99% @ 20μ
XP: 50% @ 20μ

If you call WIX and ask them, they will tell you the XP's efficiency is "proprietary". Any surprise why?

Originally Posted by bbhero
Trolling.gif

All of y'all enjoy this charter boat trip
lol.gif

It was supposed to only be a 3 hour tour. But "Skipper" crashed the S. S. Minnow in the storm.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Ultra: 99% @ 20μ
XP: 50% @ 20μ

If you call WIX and ask them, they will tell you the XP's efficiency is "proprietary". Any surprise why?

Thank you sir for the information!

I was skeptical when watching the comparison Wix XP vs Fram Ultra cut open. The Wix XP seem to have a better build quality. Judging by the pleats, and at the bottom of the oil filter construction and the oil drain back. The Fram Ultra pleats were wider compared to the Wix. But I thought to myself filtration is important, but "flow" is also important. I felt the need to ask the experts.
smile.gif

I will be using the Fram Ultra!

Last edited:
You can't judge a filter's performance by "looking at the pleats", or counting the number of pleats. The Ultra has 2 layers of differently designed synthetic media, so that essentially doubles the filtering area. The Ultra has a higher use mileage rating, so its debris holding capacity is greater. Those are the kind of parameters to look at and compare.

There's nothing wrong with the base construction, that YouTube reviewer doesn't have a clue about it, he even eluded to his unsureness of what he was saying. He's just making guesses.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by bbhero
Trolling.gif

All of y'all enjoy this charter boat trip
lol.gif

It was supposed to only be a 3 hour tour. But "Skipper" crashed the S. S. Minnow in the storm.
grin2.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
A Pep Boys Proline or a Fram Extra Guard (both under $4) will get your engine to 300+K.

^^^^^

True indeed. Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back