WIX WL-10102/Napa Gold 400102/HG 52114 PRICE!!

I just paid $33.99 each for two Napa Golds. I don't want to hear gripes about the price of Amsoil filters!! Hahahhahaa

I needed them for my Gravely ZT. I checked Amazon, no. Ebay has the Wix, but not not much lower price.

Why is this "transmission" filter so expensive? Counter guy said because "special fine media" (his words)

Anyone know?

Are them Hydro Gear filters? Should be about $18.00 per filter for OEM
Amazon has 2 pack for 36.00 dollars

Last edited:
Are them Hydro Gear filters? Should be about $18.00 per filter for OEM
Amazon has 2 pack for 36.00 dollars
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only looked locally for the HG, was like $40 EACH, so I didn't bother looking for the HG on line.

Oh well, not gonna cry over it, but still.

Do you know any construction or filtering difference?

I only looked locally for the HG, was like $40 EACH, so I didn't bother looking for the HG on line.

I have cut the OEM filters it's a solid filter when I changed over to the Amsoil spec. hydro fluid about 4 years ago. The OEM looked new when I cut them with about 50hrs on them.

Off topic what hydro unit are you changing out 3100 2800 or others dual tanks?

Think they will be fine I find it best fill them filters and pump fluid in from the side ports.

Hydro filters are, sadly, expensive. There's nothing really "special" about them except that there's no ADBV or bypass, which SHOULD make them cheaper, but .... ya know ... niche market. I've tried to find good x-ref choices out there for my old Scag and Gravely ZTRs, but not much luck. Currently I can get my BadBoy filters from Wix, but they still aren't cheap.

For the longest time, the Wix hydro filters for my Scag were listed as "This is a valid competitive part number and there is no replacement at this time."
To me, the inference I took was that Wix is the sole supplier of that filter and was under a no-compete contract with Scag to be their OE supplier. I don't think that's true today.

I just paid $33.99 each for two Napa Golds. I don't want to hear gripes about the price of Amsoil filters!! Hahahhahaa

I needed them for my Gravely ZT. I checked Amazon, no. Ebay has the Wix, but not not much lower price.

Why is this "transmission" filter so expensive? Counter guy said because "special fine media" (his words)

Anyone know?
$19 each at Schucks

My wife says I'm not patient!

Seems to take more fluid when trans are in N and actuating (with wheels up), than engaged with wheels up. Just rowing the controllers.

Scared me the noise with no fluid and then could not seem to engage............crud I broke something!! NOT. False alarm.

So finally the ZT would go, and was quiet - the air bubbles were very slow is mainly what I was referring to - so I concluded I just needed to mow, so I did a single lap, it went fine, the level dropped a little, so I filled both. Mowed the rest and the level was all the way down. Added about half full, drove in the shed, will check later.

Trannies are much quieter and more solid positive. I'm happy and now can go to the 480 hour mark!

I had the same bad taste the last time I bought the WL, and I won’t be buying them again. There’s nothing special I’ve seen, and Wix certainly doesn’t claim there’s anything special about them. I think the only “special” thing is the fact they fit under the HG debris covers on the bottom of the hydros.

For reference, when I first replaced these filters (WL-10102) in 2019, they were $7.99 each, and when I bought them last summer they were $25.99 each. For a cellulose filter, 19 micron “nominal” media, without a bypass or ADBV. Wix sold their last WL filter to me that’s for sure!

Anyone know?
I am about to stop using Napa gold, to expensive, and now made in china.........BS

I am about to stop using Napa gold, to expensive, and now made in china.........BS
That’s a broad statement. This thread is about hydraulic filters for certain Hydro-Gear transmissions. Selections for that particular application is pretty slim.
Now on to your general statement about NAPA Gold filters. NAPA Gold and the other lines of NAPA filters were made by WIX. WIX was swallowed up by MANN+HUMMEL. MANN+HUMMEL purchased Purolator before that. Purolator quality has been shoddy for years and that poor quality control has started showing up in WIX and NAPA filters. Advance Auto Parts has also gone to an offshore supplier for their Carquest filters. Auto Zone has done the same thing with some of their STP filters.
NAPA probably made the decision to switch suppliers due to cost and poor quality control.
I will not buy spin on (canister) oil filters from NAPA, WIX, or Purolator. Their cartridge type oil filters seem to have better quality control.

Think they will be fine I find it best fill them filters and pump fluid in from the side ports.
I forgot to tell you - I tried getting to the side ports in this Gravely. One side is almost touchable the right is blocked. Just took some serious patience, fill and wait, run, run in N, etc......overnight sit, top off and perfect fill. Mowed Saturday, love it.

I will not buy spin on (canister) oil filters from NAPA, WIX, or Purolator. Their cartridge type oil filters seem to have better quality control.
I agree, and being as most filters are spin on, who cares about cartridge filters.

@Pablo : are Masoil filter still Donaldson, and made in USA?

I agree, and being as most filters are spin on, who cares about cartridge filters.

@Pablo : are Masoil filter still Donaldson, and made in USA?
Amsoil never had all their filters made by Donaldson, the used media in some, licensed by Donaldson.

Amsoil seems to have filters made by a variety of contract manufacturers over the years. They don't sell the Wix for this fitment.

I forgot to tell you - I tried getting to the side ports in this Gravely. One side is almost touchable the right is blocked. Just took some serious patience, fill and wait, run, run in N, etc......overnight sit, top off and perfect fill. Mowed Saturday, love it.
While I was changing the filters and doing the engine oil change, I left the jugs of hydro fluid in direct sunlight, shaking them a couple times to help distribute the heat. After opening the vent port on top of the hydro, it took less than 10 min per side to fill.

I have ZT3100s and it’s definitely tight to get a ratchet and socket in there to remove the vent plug; I found the S-shaped wrenches make it much easier for both angle of access and vertical clearance. 👍🏻

Back