WIX quality? Can't we have anything?

Preface by saying, I don't have a dog in the RP-Amsoil Oil filter comparo hunt. That said, RP's efficiency rating has been discussed often this subforum. With that, RP also claims and has long claimed a rating of "98.7% @ 20 or greater microns". It's on the same RP site shown above and linked below. Scroll to the bottom of link, see bullet point #2. That % is also known as the "absolute rating".

Also as can be seen in the linked video, the frequently posted Amsoil graph on the back of the Amsoil OF at ~4:14 in video shows 98.7% @20 um for the Amsoil OF. That would same as the RP rating. Are the filter medias the same? 'Based on the video, Amsoil box info and RP website info,' I couldn't rule it out. Both OFs in the video are made by Champ Labs. The yt is from 2019, relatively recent.

Last edited:
Preface by saying, I don't have a dog in the RP-Amsoil Oil filter comparo hunt. That said, RP's efficiency rating has been discussed often this subforum. With that, RP also claims and has long claimed a rating of "98.7% @ 20 or greater microns". It's on the same RP site shown above and linked below. Scroll to the bottom of link, see bullet point #2. That % is also known as the "absolute rating".

Also as can be seen in the linked video, the frequently posted Amsoil graph on the back of the Amsoil OF at ~4:14 in video shows 98.7% @20 um for the Amsoil OF. That would same as the RP rating. Are the filter medias the same? 'Based on the video, Amsoil box info and RP website info,' I couldn't rule it out. Both OFs in the video are made by Champ Labs. The yt is from 2019, relatively recent.

AMSOIL has stated that Donaldson is the supplier of their media and @Pablo has confirmed that this is still the case.

Yes, both companies have the majority (or it could be all of them for RP) of their cans assembled by Champion. The Mobil 1 filter was forever too, that doesn't really mean anything.

Royal Purple states their media is micro-glass, while AMSOIL states that theirs is resin-free synthetic, which means it is NOT micro-glass (consistent with the Donaldson XP material I posted earlier).

Both Donaldson and Fleetguard have synthetic nano fibre media that's blown in continuous strands so that it doesn't require resin, it's micro welded.

As I posted in another thread, it would be nice to have Ascent Filtration Testing run an EaO to see how it compares to the RP.

Really, main point of previous post was to show the excluded part of the RP efficiency rating for all the readers to see, ie., 98.7% @20 microns or greater, according to thier website info. And that Amsoil has claimed the same rating, at least at some point.

Honestly couldn't care less who makes the media for either product.

AMSOIL has stated that Donaldson is the supplier of their media and @Pablo has confirmed that this is still the case.

Yes, both companies have the majority (or it could be all of them for RP) of their cans assembled by Champion. The Mobil 1 filter was forever too, that doesn't really mean anything.

Royal Purple states their media is micro-glass, while AMSOIL states that theirs is resin-free synthetic, which means it is NOT micro-glass (consistent with the Donaldson XP material I posted earlier).

Both Donaldson and Fleetguard have synthetic nano fibre media that's blown in continuous strands so that it doesn't require resin, it's micro welded.

As I posted in another thread, it would be nice to have Ascent Filtration Testing run an EaO to see how it compares to the RP.
Unfortunately, when they went to the "A" suffix part #s, Mobil 1 went to Mann & Hummel. Also a synthetic blend media, which makes it comparable to the Pure One, Bosch Distance Plus, etc. Not worth $15 a filter, unlike the RP, Amsoil, & Donaldson Blue ones.

Unfortunately, when they went to the "A" suffix part #s, Mobil 1 went to Mann & Hummel. Also a synthetic blend media, which makes it comparable to the Pure One, Bosch Distance Plus, etc. Not worth $15 a filter, unlike the RP, Amsoil, & Donaldson Blue ones.

The Mobil 1 filters have always been a "blend" media AFAIK. I was just pointing out that oil companies don't produce their own branded filters ;)

My WIX filters are made in Gastonia, NC in the WIX factory. O’Reilly sells WIX. I buy mine from Rock Auto.

I've used wix and "napa" filters, ill pass and hope to find the og fram ultra since it kept the most and highest consistent psi on my ls engine

My WIX filters are made in Gastonia, NC in the WIX factory. O’Reilly sells WIX. I buy mine from Rock Auto.
While there has been one date code confirmed anecdote (51358) posted of a Wix made at Purolator plant, from that I can't and wouldn't conclude all Wix/Napa Gold applications are now manufactured there. It does appear that M&H Wix has moved to stamp flat compression spring design and dome bypass. 'In my observation' that is used a large majority of oil filters, including some top tier extended interval filters.

In the aforementioned unused anecdote the loss of the thread end bypass resulted in a significantly larger filter element than the previous Wix in that application. Otherwise in my observation, that anecdote to quote another member that thread " looks quite decent". And to my eye that included/includes the seam pleat area pleat spacing. Time will tell if that observation proves out.

Not for long, from the looks of it. It'll be time soon for the semiannual NAPA fleet filter sale, I'll be picking up any OG Wix I can find. They're going to be as rare as the OG Ultras. The race to the bottom accelerates...

Back