WIX quality? Can't we have anything?

All made in Mexico or just some of them? I just bought one yesterday at Farm and Fleet and it's made in US. Number 57502 for my 3.5 Ecoboost.
Its a complete gamble on what you may get. A good portion of Wix are US made but there are ones from Korea, Mexico and even Venezuela. It just depends on the model and what batch you get. The Platinum for my Eclipse is made in the USA but the Gold and Silvers are made in Mexico. Also I went to replace a 7060 Gold that was made in the USA and got the same filter that was made in Venezuela.

I bought a Purolator that looked like that years ago and just received a pro tech(wix) from RA. Looking the same

About 8 years ago, I bought Wix/Napa gold filters for all my vehicles from a well known online Co. and received 20% off. I think I bought about 1K of filters. I own many vehicles. Class 8 diesel 12 micron water separators, 2 micron "Cat" style fuel filters. 6.6 GM diesel 7.3L Navistar OE filters. WIX 51334 for my many Honda/Acuras and WIX 51334 for my Subaru.

Since Wix has sold, Their filters are made all over the world, I've even heard Ch**a...

I will be buying Baldwin, Donaldson, and Fram Xg's unless they sell out. I won't need filters for at least a few more years to say the least!

The oil substance on the threads isn’t abnormal. All the more reason to look it over before use.

Not ideal, but one has to wonder how many of those shavings made it into an engine from a new filter that we didn’t see.. not to mention what was inside the engine when new.

I have to say even though I'm not a fan of the AC Delco/Supertech E core design. The threaded inserts are cleaner then some other filters I have seen

All BMW OE filters made by MANN are made in Mexico in the same factory as WIX, considering MANN owns WIX. So, I would say it is not a country of origin. It could be that MANN (not sure why they would do it) has lower quality standards for WIX line up.
You can get WIX from Poland, Germany, Bosnia, Italy, South Korea etc. wherever MANN has a factory.

I'll still take a Wix over a Fram any day...

Have you seen the insides of a Fram Ultra?

I'm a FRAM OCOD hater myself but the Ultra is a fine well build wire backed synthetic media filter with metal end caps and with great filtering specs and I do use them, id take a FRAM Ultra over a WIX any day!!!!

Last edited:
Wix quality has gone down, adhesive issueson the end caps of both their fuel filters and oil filters.

As others have mentioned, always wipe the threads on your new oil filters - they all have debris, dirt, and metal shavings that could drop into the clean side of your filter during installation. I was lucky enough to be taught that when I got my first car at 16.

I got bored and cut the Wix filter open that I took off the other day. I compared it to the same number, same country of origin Wix that I bought the other day. Base plate looks different, crimps are different, ADBV is a different color. The old filter has holes in the metal core and the new one has louvers. Definitely some changes in the materials used.

Last edited:
Look back at the pictures from the first post. Am I the only one to notice all of those yellow ribbons tied all over the filter? I halfway expected to see Tony Orlando in the last picture. How sloppy can Wix get? I hope this thing was built on foreign soil. If not, shame on you Gastonia, North Cakalacky.

Back