WIX quality? Can't we have anything?

I got bored and cut the Wix filter open that I took off the other day. I compared it to the same number, same country of origin Wix that I bought the other day. Base plate looks different, crimps are different, ADBV is a different color. The old filter has holes in the metal core and the new one has louvers. Definitely some changes in the materials used.
So Wix and Purolator are no longer being operated like separate entities, because it sounds like the new filter was made by Purolator, and the tapping plate had that famous Burrolator quality..

I haven't seen any Wix quality issues in the applications I use them (Ford explorer 51515 and Nissan Titan 57356). They use coilsprings, the anti drain back valves are by far better built and beefier than all others. The medias are in line with the others (save the XP micron specs which Wix claims is for superior clog resistance in long drain applications which makes sense despite others claiming their filters do EVERYTHING without compromise).
The only issue I have with Fram Ultras is the actual can is a little flimsy which only effects shipping (they come in dented routinely where say Purolator Boss NEVER come dented). Therefore I use the Fram ultra in my Toyota which is a cartridge style filter with no can. I've cut open about everything multiple times and have settled on Purolator Boss (when on sale) for spin ons (definitely not for cartridge, they come undersized). They are well built in every way and I've cut open about 5 of them.

So I think the mystery is clearing a bit. As blufeb95 stated, the are starting to look like purolator, which is what my sample looks like. And THIS, now that filter on RA is less than $2. I paid, $4.22 a few weeks ago.
0A8C2634-7356-4F5F-858B-9A8394974639.png

Attachments

• CD7F8349-5DD1-453B-B202-0B0F23D651E4.jpg
    CD7F8349-5DD1-453B-B202-0B0F23D651E4.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
How will they ever recover from this egregious failure?
Well, that’s fair, but consider that this is WIX, a brand whose reputation is with the mechanics as a higher end alternative because—quality. But as I mention in another spot on this thread, RA is now retailing this WIX for around $1.60. It seems that if you want any quality in manufacturing, you must, at least, go for the XP. WELL, as far as I’m concerned, it’s seems that WIX/MANNHUMMELL has taken up the race to the bottom ala Pizza Hut. I’m out. I won’t play that game.

Well, that’s fair, but consider that this is WIX, a brand whose reputation is with the mechanics as a higher end alternative because—quality. But as I mention in another spot on this thread, RA is now retailing this WIX for around $1.60. It seems that if you want any quality in manufacturing, you must, at least, go for the XP. WELL, as far as I’m concerned, it’s seems that WIX/MANNHUMMELL has taken up the race to the bottom ala Pizza Hut. I’m out. I won’t play that game.
Mann & Hummel has been winning the race to the bottom ever since they bought Purolator! They just added Wix as a backup car...

Wix is still considered to be the best oil filters on the market. I use Napa Platinums on everything that I own and have for years. Made by Wix.
That is some serious FAKE NEWS! Wix needs to install 20 buck air gun so chips can be blown out before boxing!

Last edited:
Results from one filter. No statistical significance. One got through the QC process. Happens to every manufacturer. That's the problem with these one-off examinations. They really don't tell you much.
So yes, the one-off exam is a fair viewpoint. It really is inductive reasoning. But my original point was that the filter's only job is to keep those sorts of things out of the engine. If I may, I'd also like to add the idea that modern manufacturing is really advanced and that I doubt that any facility/company with the wherewithal of Mann/Hummel wouldn't have computerized scanners to pick up this sort of thing. But what really prompted me to post the photos was when I ran my finger around the inside (clean oil return) of the threads and my finger came out with very small metal shavings in oil. Forget for a moment that this is going directly into an engine that you are trying to protect, and realize that this may be happening on many filters that they are producing because that area is pretty inaccessible to quality control past that point in mfg. To me, this isn't some Joe dropping the unit on the floor and then putting it back in the box, this is sloppy manufacturing.

Guys, it's one out of a million produced that Week. Every filter manufacturer has had problems at one time. WIX is still a great brand.

Hunter2929 said above, "Last wix I bought I could not screw on, then I looked and found it had no threads, really, what were the odds."

Hey, I got a 1/2" long 16d. nail once. Somebody in the factory formed a head and point to a small piece of left over (I assume) wire. It looked cool.

I know a threadless oil filter can bring delay to the oil service bay what the heck.....let some poor "line slave" have a little fun. I'd rather a threadless filter than one maliciously filled with tungsten dust.

Back