wix filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ablebody
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
Waiting for a logical response, thus far only from Ablebody.

That wasn't even a response, let along "logical" ... just typical drivel. I want him to explain technically why he thinks that's wrong. You can respond too ... that's an "official solicitation".

It doesn't matter what anyone says to you. You will just argue about it.
I'll just throw this out there and let you get back to your endless babble. The range would never be inclusive enough of various circumstances or limitations to cover multiple applications. That's actually pretty much already the issue with alot of after markets practice.
That's 1. Their trying to use limited materials and construction to blanket over everything. It's not acceptable.

Nice back peddle (excuse) to not try to debate anything on a technical basis.

More misconceptions - talk about "babble". Evey filter manufacture, even beloved WIX has vehicle application lists with literally 100s of vehicles. You think all these filter manufactures have a warranty to replace an engine if damaged by their filter don't know what they are doing in the design department? Funny stuff once again.

I think they do know what their doing and that's the problem. Other than maybe Fram, from back in the day when they earned the ocod tittle, has a filter manufacturer ever paid for an engine?
Now you just continue thinking about all the other ways your wrong.

If every filter manufacture has 100s of vehicles on one filter model, then I guess they are all wrong - and only you are right ... yeah, that's it. WIX must have a reason for making their Motorcraft applications much higher in BPV setting (more flow restrictive?). Others are probably that way too, I'll have to do some more checking. Guess you better get over to the design department and set them straight - LoL.

If every filter manufacture has 100s of vehicles on one filter model, then I guess they are all wrong - and only you are right ... yeah, that's it. WIX must have a reason for making their Motorcraft applications much higher in BPV setting (more flow restrictive?). Others are probably that way too, I'll have to do some more checking. Guess you better get down to the design department and set them straight - LoL.

Why you still hating on wix? We both know which manufacturer is the real worst offender here.
I might give some of them a call. Maybe send in a resume.

^^^
lol.gif
... thanks for the laughs.

IME I've found Napa Gold filters to be quality filters, same as Wix labeled filters. Having no personal experience with the queried Napa Gold 7620XE can't say if it's a rebadged Fleetguard. Being a low volume sale filter it's possible they sub it out to them. Looking at the Fleet Filter Pics the baseplate looks identical to the equivalent Fleetguard LF16035, so could be. In any case, I would use it with confidence and getting a discount certainly a plus.

As for one anecdote of bypass not being an exact match doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I remember repeated discussions here of the Fram filter applications equivalent for Subaru being a much greater difference (lower) than the OEM and the pro fram contingent consensus is it makes no difference. In that case though iirc Wix/Napa Gold have a similar to the Subaru OEM bypass equivalent filter. Either way, one bypass anecdote not a representative indication of overall quality and specs of the Napa Gold line which seemed to be the question.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
And when I say "match the bypass pressure", the filter you use can have a slighly higher one, by I would say about 5 psi, but no more, and no less than the OEM's.
Why not less? What if the OEM is flow restrictive and that's a factor on why they set the bypass valve higher. A more restrictive flowing filter would need to have a higher bypass valve setting to ensure it doesn't go into bypass too often.
To be on the safe side. ... Remember, we don't know how restrictive the OEM filter is. They don't tell us. Sure, we infer it sometimes by getting clues about what type of media they use, but that is just guessing.

Good catch on the GPM vs. grams/second controversy I accidentally caused. Either one would be fine with me.

In my dream-land test, take a standard test oil at 300 cSt, and see what GPM cracks open the bypass valve. (They currently keep all that secret.)
Shopping in dream-land, hypothetically:
--Filter "A" cracks open the valve at 2.0 GPM.
--Filter "B" cracks the valve at 2.7 GPM. (highest, best) ....
--The OEM filter cracks the valve at 2.2 GPM.
As long as the 4548-12 was good enough & it had a silicone ADBV & its NOT a Purolator, Filter "B" it is, I'd buy that one, for the fewest bypass events.
Notice a used old Filter "B" would start to match the OEM filter as it begins to clog slightly with age.
Also notice this all assumes bypass pressure thresholds aren't unreasonably high, like over 30 psi or something weird we don't typically see. Reasonable range is ~8 psi to ~25 psi.

Practical shopping for an oil filter when, in the real world, we don't know how restrictive the media is: .... What I end up doing is looking at the bypass pressure threshold the OEM oil filter has, and choosing an oil filter that has about that same amount. I then secretly hope that the media in the filter I choose is at least as free-flowing as the OEM's. Full-synthetic media usually is less restrictive, but by how much we don't know.

Reading posts above, I wouldn't argue too much with ZeeOSix. He knows this subject very well.

Yep unless you blindly just trust the aftemarket manufacturer if seems logical to pick the ones that are setting the bypass at or very near the original spec.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
In my dream-land test, take a standard test oil at 300 cSt, and see what GPM cracks open the bypass valve. (They currently keep all that secret.)
Shopping in dream-land, hypothetically:
--Filter "A" cracks open the valve at 2.0 GPM.
--Filter "B" cracks the valve at 2.7 GPM. (highest, best) ....
--The OEM filter cracks the valve at 2.2 GPM.
As long as the 4548-12 was good enough & it had a silicone ADBV & its NOT a Purolator, Filter "B" it is, I'd buy that one, for the fewest bypass events.

I'm sure you've seen this graph before. 300 cSt is about 1500 SUS, but the graph is with a little thicker oil at 2000 SUS. This graph was produced by AC Delco promoting their full synthetic Ultraguard back in the day, showing how well it flowed. It was a very good filter IMO. Notice they have one of the best flowing filters (the Ultraguard) and also the worst flowing filter (Duraguard Silver) in the graph. Obviously, you'd want a higher bypass valve setting in the Duraguard Silver than in the Ultraguard if you wanted to prevent cold flow bypass events.

Almost all of those filters would hit bypass if the valve was set to say 15~16 PSI if the engine was revved up pretty high right after a cold start. The bypass valve would have to be set to 25+ PSI to prevent filter bypass if some maniac started his engine the revved it to get 4+ GPM flowing through the filter. Could be why GM sets their bypass valve high, or it could be their standard AC Delco flows about like shown for the Duraguard Silver in the graph. The Ultraguard could get by fine with a bypass valve set to 15~16 PSI. In order to totally prevent any filter bypass events due to bonehead moves by the vehicle operator when the oil is very cold the bypass valve would have to be set to 30 PSI. But that's also bad because that can start causing possible oil flow cut-back if the PD oil pump hits pressure relief at high RPM before the bypass valve opened.

Filter designers are well aware of what's going on in an oiling system, so I wouldn't mistrust them too much about bypass valve settings. Obviously, there are special cases with vehicles that have a very high output oil pump, etc where a bypass valve would need to be set very high in order to prevent unwanted bypass events. But just because a filter has a lower bypass valve setting than an OEM filter doesn't mean it's the wrong setting for that oil filter.

Oil Filter Delta-P Chart with Cold Oil.jpg

And here's the same group of filters when the oil is hot. Obviously the delta-p across the filter decreases dramatically, and even the worse flowing filter (Duraguard Silver) only has 9 PSI of delta-p at a very high flow rate of 10 GPM. If that Duraguard had a 15 PSI bypass valve, it would never hit bypass with hot oil unless it was clogged up pretty good. It would rarely (or not at all) hit bypass with cold oil as long as the engine wasn't revved up real high until the oil warmed up half way to operating temperature.

Oil Filter Delta-P Chart with Hot Oil.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back