wix filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated in a previous post, I recently got a job at a local Napa, which after 2 months of employment, I'll be about get a discount on filters. I've always believed and have always ran OEM or Donaldson oil filters on any diesel vehicle or marine engine. I did use a Fram on my 7.3 the last oil change but thats rare. Cummins gets Fleetguard or Donaldson Blue, Duramax gets AcDelco, Ford gets Motorcraft etc. Is there any reason for me not to run a Napa Gold oil filter on any of these engines, do they really meet oem specs like they claim? I have heard that the Napa Gold 7620XE for the Cummins is a rebadged Fleetguard, can anyone confirm this? I've also wanted to run a Fram Ultra on my Cummins but have been hesitant, how is that filter in regards to oem specs? I figured Donaldson regular and Blue oil and air filters must be great as they design alot of military heavy duty filtration products.

Last edited:
I'm a Fram user, myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to run the proper Wix or Napa filter on any vehicle I own, unless I found a Napa filter that was sourced from Purolator.

Wix are great filters , Stay with the Racor or Motorcraft fuel filers .

You can see the specs on which ever wix/Napa gold you would need on the wix filters website.
To answer your question -"how is Fu in regards to oem specs". You can look on the fram website for each application as well.
Wix is good about trying to taylor their filters to meet the manufacturers specs. Fram isn't so good about it from my observation. They seem more interested in covering as many applications as they can get away with with the same basic materials. All about $$$ as far as I can see.
Oem is the surest bet I think and wix is a good alternative in my opinion.
Just be sure and look up the specifications for any aftermarket filter you may consider using to be sure they are appropriate. If not I wouldn't let other people or the companies marketing persuade you. Let the facts do the talking.i wouldn't give any filter that can't spec a correct bypass rating the time of day again and the " it flows better so it doesn't need to be as high" or "it' doesn't really matter for one reason or another" babble, well those are people with opinions or agendas that don't really care about your better interest. Some just people that believe what has been fed them so they think it's correct.

Last edited:
WIX didn't match their bypass valve setting very well to the Motorcraft FL-500S. The FL-500S is set to 17 psi and the WIX 57502 is set to 22 psi.

Originally Posted by mobilaltima
As stated in a previous post, I recently got a job at a local Napa, which after 2 months of employment, I'll be about get a discount on filters. I've always believed and have always ran OEM or Donaldson oil filters on any diesel vehicle or marine engine. I did use a Fram on my 7.3 the last oil change but thats rare. Cummins gets Fleetguard or Donaldson Blue, Duramax gets AcDelco, Ford gets Motorcraft etc. Is there any reason for me not to run a Napa Gold oil filter on any of these engines, do they really meet oem specs like they claim? I have heard that the Napa Gold 7620XE for the Cummins is a rebadged Fleetguard, can anyone confirm this? I've also wanted to run a Fram Ultra on my Cummins but have been hesitant, how is that filter in regards to oem specs? I figured Donaldson regular and Blue oil and air filters must be great as they design alot of military heavy duty filtration products.

You are way-overthinking the need for top filtering. You can get a long lifetime of vehicle use using Wix filters. We have members here using low-level Proline oil filters and have 432K miles on the vehicle.

It's not what filter you use. It's when you change that oil and filter. Every vehicle and driving style is different.

Also, if you aren't first and last owner of your vehicle and constantly sell prematurely, you really need to consider buying basic oils and basic filtering. So considering Wix products is a step above basic filtering and a great choice for both - long-life and the premature seller.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
WIX didn't match their bypass valve setting very well to the Motorcraft FL-500S. The FL-500S is set to 17 psi and the WIX 57502 is set to 22 psi.
Does it make a difference? Oil is going through the media or bypass no matter what.

Agree with above comment. Overthinking it. Unless you are digging in the el-cheapo parts bin most filters today are good. The only brand to stay away from now is the midline purolators due to tearing of the media. The wavy ones dont bother me.

You should be fine with NapaGold on anything you run.

My in-laws are running Wix currently on their Caravan and CRV with yearly Amsoil oil changes and the filters look great after being on the vehicle that long. They do a decent amount of miles in the year as well. I would use Wix no problem.

Originally Posted by hatt
Does it make a difference? Oil is going through the media or bypass no matter what.

Haters are just gonna hate, Hatt. There's nothing we can do to change them.

Originally Posted by Ablebody

The point is that some people rave sbout how "the bypass valve needs to match the OEM bypass valve setting", and then say don't buy or listen to anyone but the OEM. So someone points out examples (like above) that aftermarket filters don't always match the OEM setting (which is usually the case), and then they get called a "hater". I think we know who the real haters are. Funny stuff.

It's just more rhetoric from someone that doesn't know much about oil filters, or why the bypass valve might not always match the OEM filter's bypass setting.

The point is that some people rave sbout how "the bypass valve needs to match the OEM bypass valve setting", and then say don't buy or listen to anyone but the OEM. So someone points out examples (like above) that aftermarket filters don't always match the OEM setting (which is usually the case), and then they get called a "hater". I think we know who the real haters are. Funny stuff.

It's just more rhetoric from someone that doesn't know much about oil filters, or why the bypass valve might not always match the OEM filter's bypass setting.

See what I mean.lol

The majority of folks out there go to oil change shops that use questionable non OE spec filters and this would include the wrong bypass ratings etc. and those engines last just fine. Not saying I condone it but that the PSI being off a bit isn't going to grenade an engine in the majority of cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nyogtha
What delineates an oil filter bypass differential setting as "wrong" as opposed to "not the same"?

It depends on what filter brand one-way hate glasses someone is wearing. Just go back and re-read this thread from the beginning.

What delineates an oil filter bypass differential setting as "wrong" as opposed to "not the same"?

It depends on what filter brand one-way hate glasses someone is wearing. Just go back and re-read this thread from the beginning.

Yes we see someone hating on wix. Not cool to hate like that.

Yes we see someone hating on wix. Not cool to hate like that.

Not hating on WIX ... just pointing out a fact. I didn't say the setting was wrong, just that it didn't "match the OEM setting". You think it's hate because you seem to be a "fanboi", and it kiboshes what you've been preaching about bypass valve settings.
lol.gif
As said before, I've used WIX/NAPA Gold many times and think they are a decent filter. However, I personally wouldn't use the XP/Platinum for my own reasons.

Go look up the bypass setting on 10 different brand oil filters for the same vehicle and you'll see there is quite a spread on the valve settings. Yet you only focus on one particular brand to latch onto with some misconception that they don't know what they're doing. It's pretty obvious what your agenda is.

You say quite a few negative things about other filters, even though what you say are basic misconceptions, and therefore really just driven by brand hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back